Klipsch Forte issue/diagnosis please

Jbmorrey

I have a pair of Klipsch Forte 1 and I recently had a Single ended amp built just for it, well when auditioning the amp, I noticed a sharp buzz type sound at times. For instance on Norah Jones, don’t know why song, the lyrics start as “I waited till....” well the sharp “Waited” word has a slight buzz at the very beginning. I have also noticed Take Five by Dave Brubeck, the horns are a bit harsh them I remember this speaker being in the past.  I am planning on doing the crates crossover upgrade, is this possibly the caps failing, or maybe the tweeter diaphragms need replacing? Any thoughts on this?

james 

I'll give a recommendation to go with JEM Performance Audio, the only Klipsch authorized crossover company.  Jim's customer service is fantastic.

So does JEM do a full crossover replacement slapped on a slab of wood like Bob was doing?

Mine are already done....just curious.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ok, so it sounds like everyone is pretty much stating that the crossovers are the issue. Is that correct?

I unfortunately do not have the funds to purchase the complete crossover built on a slab of wood. I am opting for the Crossover rebuild kit from Crites. I have a local friend that can assist with rebuilding it for me. 

I was also considering doing the bracing suggestions on the cabinet as well as the sound deafening of the horns, I assume this would be a good thing to do, or does it not make too much of a difference? I have seen mixed reviews on these 2 steps.

James

3 hours ago, Jbmorrey said:

I have a pair of Klipsch Forte 1 and I recently had a Single ended amp built just for it, well when auditioning the amp, I noticed a sharp buzz type sound at times. For instance on Norah Jones, don’t know why song, the lyrics start as “I waited till....” well the sharp “Waited” word has a slight buzz at the very beginning. I have also noticed Take Five by Dave Brubeck, the horns are a bit harsh them I remember this speaker being in the past.  I am planning on doing the crates crossover upgrade, is this possibly the caps failing, or maybe the tweeter diaphragms need replacing? Any thoughts on this?

james 

Both speakers?  And no, not everyone is suggesting the crossovers are the issue, especially me.  I would check to make sure all of the drivers and horns are secured tightly in the cabinets.  Isolate the speakers to see if it is just one, or both.  

• Like 1

The tweeter horn will not gain anything with sound deadener. I can not say the same for the mid horn as I have forte IIs and that horn is well braced as it is. As for bracing the cabs – I am in the camp that a little is OK, don't put half a lumber yard in here.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Jbmorrey said:

james 

So what amp did you use before? Or is the SET the first amp you tried it with? I see up above that you added it also did the same thing with your Mac MA6200. 

I think Jim's on the money with the "both speakers" question. Go to mono (if preamp has that) and see if you have it out of both left and right (one speaker at a time with balance control). 

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Both speakers?  And no, not everyone is suggesting the crossovers are the issue, especially me.  I would check to make sure all of the drivers and horns are secured tightly in the cabinets.  Isolate the speakers to see if it is just one, or both.  

Ok, I will check screws on the drivers to insure they are secure, and then also only connect one speaker at a time to check. Could I use something like a frequency sweep video on YouTube to uncover an error? The reason I say this is I want to eliminate the possibly of a bad Norah Jones recording. 

James

3 hours ago, SWL said:

So does JEM do a full crossover replacement slapped on a slab of wood like Bob was doing?

Mine are already done....just curious.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To my knowledge they don't make completely new networks.  They will either rebuild yours if you send them to them or sell a DIY kit. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jbmorrey said:

Ok, I will check screws on the drivers to insure they are secure, and then also only connect one speaker at a time to check. Could I use something like a frequency sweep video on YouTube to uncover an error? The reason I say this is I want to eliminate the possibly of a bad Norah Jones recording. 

James

Do you have another separate Norah Jones recording? Or, try Spotify or Amazon music or Tidal and stream different songs.

On 3/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, Jbmorrey said:

Ok, so it sounds like everyone is pretty much stating that the crossovers are the issue. Is that correct?

I unfortunately do not have the funds to purchase the complete crossover built on a slab of wood. I am opting for the Crossover rebuild kit from Crites

JEM Performance @JEM Performance  is the klipsch  crossover repair center , they can sell you the  klipsch original capacitors and you can install the new parts  yourself , these capacitors do not alter the klipsch sound , these parts  would be your best option --------they are not priced higher  than average aftermarket parts -       https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

• Like 1

On your buzz if it is mechanical here are two ideas if the above do not pan out. I had a bug screen in one woofer fall out behind the dust cover and you could not see it. At certain frequencies it would buzz and rattle in there and about drove me nuts until I figured that one out. Also a piece of metal, most often a screw, can be stuck to the magnet and will buzz at times.

On 3/3/2021 at 5:03 PM, Jbmorrey said:

James

Yea, not just the screws but pull both horns out of the cabinets and make sure the driver are tight to the horns. 

On 3/3/2021 at 5:03 PM, Jbmorrey said:

Ok, I will check screws on the drivers

1st thing to do is make sure the noise is present ,do not remove any screws  - then remove the horn or the parts , 1 by 1 and do the test again ,  till you locate the faulty component , if the screws are tight , the part is defective ---

21 hours ago, Dave A said:

On your buzz if it is mechanical here are two ideas if the above do not pan out. I had a bug screen in one woofer fall out behind the dust cover and you could not see it. At certain frequencies it would buzz and rattle in there and about drove me nuts until I figured that one out.

I've had this happen on one of my klf30 woofers. Freaked me out!