How to hang heresys on a wall

tigerwoodKhorns

If it were me, I'd be looking at a "french cleat" of some sort. Reason being, in addition to being secure--you could mount the cleat to the plywood back with a minimum of damage/alteration to the cabinet: If you ever removed the cleat, there would only be two, relatively small screw holes left in the back (not a big deal). Just a thought. You might do a quick search to see how different people are implementing this... Its dead simple, and works.

I'm sure there are many other ways to do this--just my two cents. Obviously, everybody will have their preference.

• Like 2

I have KG4s as rears in my living room. I used some very sturdy shelf brackets set into the wall studs.  First shelf bracket I tried claimed it would take the weight but flexed a bit so I got a pair that could take double the weight and all has been good for the last couple of years. Probably not the best for earthquake country but in SE Ohio it works just fine.

IMG_3290.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If  you don't want to drill holes into the speakers, you might want to just build a shelf.  That would allow you to also aim the speakers if desired.  I built a shelf for my home theater projector that has a larger footprint than a Heresy, and weighs about 32 pounds.  I got three of the largest brackets that Lowe's sold and screwed them into the studs with large and long screws.  The projector has been up there on that shelf for about five years now with no issues.  Every once in a while I check the screws and they are just as tight as when I installed it.  I also put a "lip" around the edge of the shelf so that I wouldn't have to worry about the projector moving on it's own (let's say from some sort of vibrations that might come from somewhere 😉 ) and falling off the shelf.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I like either a shelf or metal brackets.

I have some Forte ll's hanging on metal brackets I made many years ago.  I like them like this because I could angle them where I wanted, they are rear surrounds so they point down to the sofa and a little in front of it. You can not see them from the other room, dining room/ kitchen.

That beam is all wood and lag bolts are holding the brackets, the brackets would bend before they fell off the wall, and they are almost 1/4" thick.

speakers r.jpg

• Like 2

1053165298_OnStageSS7322B.thumb.jpg.b3169a8a5b86acdf34260a213f6ed5f3.jpg967189959_SteelSpeakerPoleMount.thumb.jpg.23becb15493c074d5ebffb241828871f.jpg1478372290_IMG_0596(Medium).thumb.JPG.a968480e6ae77e3222c6fd230579cbae.JPG

Obviously, the speaker sitting on my deck is the reverse of how it sits on the bracket shown.  The speakers are mounted high on the front walls of a middle school band practice room.  When in place, the tweeters are at the bottom with the woofers at the top.  The brackets allow adjustments for toe in, as well as the angle at which they fire into the space.  It is necessary to drill a hole in the cabinet to insert the metal cup, but, once installed, there is no concern about vibrating off a shelf.

• Like 2