Tractrix horn for Klipschorn

Thoughts ?
Eliptrac horns have been around for a while now. I believe Dave Harris is still making the kits although his web site has been gone for a while.

First, replacing a K400/401 with an Eliptrac is a modification and will alter the sound of a Klipschorn.

Second, as far as I can tell most people that use Eliptrac horns no longer use the K55 drivers.

Third, as they are a kit and take quite a bit of effort to build, I suspect there is a fair bit of self fulfilling expectations in the evaluation of their performance.

Having said that, I built a set for my 1990 KHorns, initially using Bob Crites A55G drivers with an Al Klappenberger designed Extreme Slope 400/4500 crossover and Bob Crites DE110 tweeters.
I found the modified KHorns lost the harshness that was evident on some orchestral music and completely eliminated listener fatigue. The sound was smoother and more open with a more detailed soundstage.

I then had an opportunity to purchase a second hand pair of B&C DCX464 co-axial drivers locally (a unique opportunity in Australia where most HiFi components are imported with associated freight, customs duties and delays due to shipping). Attempts at passive crossovers were disappointing at best so I went active with very pleasing results.

I don't know how much you have read, so I will list a few links that I have bookmarked -
https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/122814-round-tractrix/
https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/144700-eliptrac-400-kit-finishing-update/&ct=1557489906

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/124081-testing-the-faital-pro-hf200-driver-on-the-eliptrac400/&ct=1612245896

• Like 2

On 3/3/2021 at 6:04 PM, Ol_mcdonald said:

I’m curious if anyone here has used one of Dave Harris’ tractrix horns in a Klipschorn and your thoughts if so.

Thanks in advance!

if you really want to improve the sound of the K-HORN  , and you are serious  ,  you would have to remove the Top Hat and purchase the K402  with the HF driver from  klipsch , the k402 is what is used in the Jubilee LF   bass bin for the HF --

• Like 2

Let's be clear about something. Tractrix horns are not controlled dispersion horns, per se. Roy's "modified tractrix" horns, however, are controlled dispersion horns. Controlled dispersion (CD) means that the on-axis frequency response is similar to the off-axis frequency response.

Is this important? Well, it is important in commercial audio (i.e., all seats in the auditorium get a comparable sound). In consumer audio .... well, a strong argument is made by Toole in his book (consistent with comments made by Roy also) that this is a key feature in speakers that are highly rated. 

In my own experience, the modified tractrix horns designed by Roy (eg, K-402 and K-510) sound very good.

20 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Let's be clear about something. Tractrix horns are not controlled dispersion horns, per se. Roy's "modified tractrix" horns, however, are controlled dispersion horns. Controlled dispersion (CD) means that the on-axis frequency response is similar to the off-axis frequency response.

Is the K400/401 a CD horn ?

It is a bit hazy now, but I seem to remember a wider coverage when I swapped to the Eliptrac.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:39 PM, Wirrunna said:

Eliptrac horns have been around for a while now. I believe Dave Harris is still making the kits although his web site has been gone for a while.

Dave made a simpler tractrix horn based on Erik Forker's spreadsheet, and is what Alk K. sold through his site.

A lot of people have bought and/or built their own of those. Some stopped using them for various reasons.

Erik's pages are here:

http://wp.volvotreter.de/dl-section/tools/

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ol_mcdonald said:

Exactly, a lot more, and if I went that route I'd just want Jubes.

Dave's horn  will modify the look and the sound as the tweeter is on the side of the mids Horn , a totally different  speaker -------no longer a khorn --

1 hour ago, Wirrunna said:

Is the K400/401 a CD horn ?

It is a bit hazy now, but I seem to remember a wider coverage when I swapped to the Eliptrac.

No, They both start to "beam" as you go up in frequency. Most horns from that era (for consumer use) will do that.