Natural Cherry Darkening

Joe Carter

So based off what people are suggesting here, is it actually possible to use Watco tung oil on a lacquered walnut/cherry finish? I love my lacquered Cornwall 3's, but If there is a way I can protect them from scratches by applying a few coats of oil that would be awesome. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TJman said:

I understand that is the point of Lacquer, however Lacquer finishes are far more susceptible to scratches. Just trying to find a way to protect my finish. 

More susceptible than what?  No finish you can apply will be as durable as the factory applied lacquer.

Do not place items on your speakers.  Do not subject your speakers to the ravages of the vacuum cleaner, children, pets, wives, etc. and you will be fine.

2 hours ago, Cicerogue said:

More susceptible than what?  No finish you can apply will be as durable as the factory applied lacquer.

Do not place items on your speakers.  Do not subject your speakers to the ravages of the vacuum cleaner, children, pets, wives, etc. and you will be fine.

I beg to differ.... My Cornwall 3's with a factory Lacquer finish and Heresy 4's with lacquer finish are far more susceptible to scratches than my Cornwall 2's that have a thick tung oil finish. 

In addition to this, I can add more layers of tung oil for additional protection to my Cornwall 2's. Cant do that with the lacquer finish. 

The lacquer finish is very thin, and in my opinion does not protect the wood as well as a properly maintained oil finish does. I would have to work hard to scratch my Cornwall 2's. Keep in mind I have about 6 coats of oil on those speakers.

8 minutes ago, Cicerogue said:

Scratches in the finish or scratches in the wood?

Scratches on Lacquer tend to be very noticeable and pass right through the finish and can easily reach the raw wood.

7 minutes ago, TJman said:

If you saw earlier in this thread I asked that question. The consensus is that it wouldn't work well. 

Yes "penetrating oil" will not soak through lacquer very well. Use tung oil to touch up lacquered speakers. Remove excess, if you just let it dry it may puddle and look blotchy.

TJman, that was my point all along.  I admit that I was a bit clumsy in the way I went about it.  If you have a lacquer finish, it is as good as you are going to get because there is not much you can do to make it better.  Any scratches will show more in the lacquer because it is a flatter, smoother, harder finish.  The "harder" part is what makes it more durable but also makes it show scratches.  Anything that will penetrate lacquer will more easily go through an oil based varnish.  It just shows more in the lacquer.

I would not recommend "touching up" lacquer with anything but it seems I am fighting a losing battle here.  Look at it this way, the lacquer on your speakers is very similar in the way it behaves as the finish on your car.  Do not apply anything to it that you would not apply to the paint on your car.  I know furniture makers who sometimes use automotive polishes and glazes after their final finish.  I do not because I do not like that look on the pieces I make.

I guess I will try a Tibet Almond Stick to "help" my Heresy IV's lacquer finish look factory fresh again.  As suggested in the Furniture-Care .pdf above.  

The Heresy IV finish is easily scratched, that is about the only negative thing I can say about them thought.  The sound of them is sublime. 

Lacquer is a fairly thin finish that stays in the surface of wood and does not penetrate the way an oil finish such as tung or boiled linseed oil. In that sense, lacquer not as protective.  It scratches easier since it sits mostly on the surface. Tung oil is harder than BLO, and penetrates a little more.