Receiver choice

Sol Goode

Hey there,

I am currently building a home theater and have selected the RP-6000F 7.1.2 ATMOS as my speakers.

I am fairly new to this and I am trying to pair up a proper receiver with the sound system. I have selected the Marantz SR5015, am I correct that this receiver will not be powerful enough for these speakers? The receiver has a power output of 100w for each channel, the speakers have a 125w to 500w. Maybe I am interpreting this  incorrectly  but should I be finding a more powerful receiver?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sol Goode said:

Hey there,

I am currently building a home theater and have selected the RP-6000F 7.1.2 ATMOS as my speakers.

The Marantz you are looking at has enough power but it says it has a 7 channel amp and preamp. I'm looking into Atmos as well but if you are going 7.1.2 don't you need an AVR that also has a 9 channel preamp?

Dunno, but that would be my question. 

57 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

The Marantz you are looking at has enough power but it says it has a 7 channel amp and preamp. I'm looking into Atmos as well but if you are going 7.1.2 don't you need an AVR that also has a 9 channel preamp?

Dunno, but that would be my question. 

Yes, some you use those last two channels for surround back, or Atmos, the better AVRs will do both.

25 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Yes, some you use those last two channels for surround back, or Atmos, the better AVRs will do both.

So if he wants to do 7.1.2 he would need an AVR that has at least a 9 channel preamp and if it only has 7 channels of power you add an external amp. It seems the Marantz SR-5015 is only capable of 5.1.2, correct?

9 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

So if he wants to do 7.1.2 he would need an AVR that has at least a 9 channel preamp and if it only has 7 channels of power you add an external amp. It seems the Marantz SR-5015 is only capable of 5.1.2, correct?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-e1okuCw2NC2/p_642SR5015/Marantz-SR5015-2020-model.html?

19 minutes ago, billybob said:

Thanks but I saw the same thing and was looking for a forum member confirmation for the OP. Now that I have done the research find I am correct. 👨‍🎓 From the link:

5.1.2ch (Dolby Atmos or DTS:X): This amplifier configuration provides 5.1.2ch playback using either top front, top middle, Dolby Atmos enabled front, or Dolby Atmos enabled surround speakers for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X movie soundtracks. In this configuration there are no Front Height, Surround Back, or Zone 2 speakers.

16 hours ago, Sol Goode said:

I am fairly new to this and I am trying to pair up a proper receiver with the sound system. I have selected the Marantz SR5015, am I correct that this receiver will not be powerful enough for these speakers?

You will have enough power but not enough channels. You could either reconsider going 5.1.2 or going with Ceptorman's recommendation if you want the additional two channels. 

19 minutes ago, billybob said:

Well someone should address the OP about any concerns...

It does seem like the long way of going around it. Thanks! :) 

4 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

The SR6015 has 9 channels, even has pre-outs for all those channels.

Good call! 

• Like 1

This is awesome guys. I was looking at the back of the receiver and realizing there will not be enough spots for all the speakers.

Is there a receiver you guys would recommend? I have always been a fan of Marantz, my dad has an old school Marantz stereo system and I think he would appreciate the homage with my selection. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 12:13 AM, Sol Goode said:

... The receiver has a power output of 100w for each channel,....

I see you have changed your mind about this receiver however, your statement above is not correct.

You can drive 2 channels at 100W  with 0.08% THD

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 100 W

I do not see the wattage for all channels driven but it will be less than 100W. Probably still plenty of wattage depending on how loud you play your stuff. Just one more thing to think about 🙂

Welcome!

11 hours ago, Sol Goode said:

Is there a receiver you guys would recommend? I have always been a fan of Marantz, my dad has an old school Marantz stereo system and I think he would appreciate the homage with my selection. 

This one here seems like a good choice:

17 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

The SR6015 has 9 channels, even has pre-outs for all those channels.

3 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

This one here seems like a good choice:

Yes I'm sure that would work well. 

It really depends on how serious you are and your budget. But the full 7 channel and Atmos does cost more. There's another thread on here where someone is trying everything they can just to hear the rear surrounds on a 7 channel system. But it's fun to play with all this stuff.

1 minute ago, Ceptorman said:

... There's another thread on here where someone is trying everything they can just to hear the rear surrounds on a 7 channel system. But it's fun to play with all this stuff.

If it's the same guy I am thinking about I think it's his settings. To get the most out of the rears one needs to engage the AVRs upmixer. Granted, rears may not be as important as set up of the other speakers but can be used effectively if set up correctly and if the room allows for it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

If it's the same guy I am thinking about I think it's his settings. To get the most out of the rears one needs to engage the AVRs upmixer. Granted, rears may not be as important as set up of the other speakers but can be used effectively if set up correctly and if the room allows for it.

I guess we never know until placed in our own room. Thats' why I envy some that have multiple rooms with multiple systems.

• Like 1