Forte III Upgrade??

Hello my fellow KLIPSCH friends , I have a huge favor to ask!! Would someone PLEASE post a thread when and IF there is going to be an upgrade for the Forte III to have the new improvements that the Forte IV has?? I’m really hoping the new phase plug for the tweeter , the polyimide diaphragm for the midrange and the new crossover will be available for the F3 because from what I’ve been reading , the F4 is far superior to the F3. Someone even made the comment that the gap between the Forte IV and Cornwall IV is very narrow and that makes me salivate!! Thanks Guys!!

The Forte IV is an amazing speaker. I think the mid and lower bass is much deeper and more punchy than the IIIs They feel much bigger than their size because the soundstage is more centered and wider and deeper.This might be mostly because of the steeper slope crossover makes the entire speaker more balanced. I hope they come out with a kit very soon for all the Forte III owners out  there.

• Like 1

I would not let what you read about the F4's give you doubts about your F3's... ..If you're so concerned, see if your dealer will allow you to bring your F3's to the store to compare them to the F4's (side-by-side, volumes carefully matched). Chances are, you will find the improvements that people go on and on about will in reality be very very subtle. 

EVERY speaker I've ever owned was described as being vastly superior to the previous generation and vastly inferior to the next. Yet, in EVERY case where I was able to directly compare one generation to the next (side-by-side, volumes carefully matched), the differences ended up being very very subtle - so subtle that in some cases you'd be hard pressed to distinguish them while blinded. This was true even in cases where the cabinet was re-braced and EVERY driver was supposedly upgraded and improved.   And when a difference was heard, it wasn't necessarily an improvement. 

So enjoy your Forte III's. ...They're great speakers.  ..And stop being overly influenced by the gushing of those who bought the latest “new and improved” version. :)

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

I would not let what you read about the F4's give you doubts about your F3's... ..If you're so concerned, see if your dealer will allow you to bring your F3's to the store to compare them to the F4's (side-by-side, volumes carefully matched). Chances are, you will find the improvements that people go on and on about will in reality be very very subtle. 

EVERY speaker I've ever owned was described as being vastly superior to the previous generation and vastly inferior to the next. Yet, in EVERY case where I was able to directly compare one generation to the next (side-by-side, volumes carefully matched), the differences ended up being very very subtle - so subtle that in some cases you'd be hard pressed to distinguish them while blinded. This was true even in cases where the cabinet was re-braced and EVERY driver was supposedly upgraded and improved.   And when a difference was heard, it wasn't necessarily an improvement. 

So enjoy your Forte III's. ...They're great speakers.  ..And stop being overly influenced by the gushing of those who bought the latest “new and improved” version. :)

Wow. A pair of Forte IVs might be indistinguishable from some Realistic speakers from the 70s. One could save a LOT of $$$.

In this day and age many products have upgrades yearly so just because Klipsch went over 20 years between Forte2s snd Forte 3s they were not wrong to update the 3s 3 years later to the IVs. If people love the way the 3s sound there is no reason to update to the IVs but if they find the IVs correct whatever they find wrong or missing in the 3s they might have to just buy new IVs. I do not think Klipsch has to come out with a kit so people can upgrade 3s to IVs but if they do I can understand the owners of 3s wanting to do those upgrades.

I have modified 1s and I thought they sounded very good but there were several things I did not love about my 1s so I popped for the new IVs and after reading about the 3s decided I would pay extra to get the IVs. I am glad I did - I love the IVs - NOTHING that people can not remedy with Klipsch if they are willing to spend some $$$$$$$$. People want audiophile equipment that is state of the art and made like $100,000 speakers and they cry when Klipsch wants to charge them $4500. I love reading these mod threads and the people acting like manufactures should be using the most expensive materials and electronics and cabinets and bracing and cast woofer baskets and the best ever Capacitors and the best and most expensive grill cloth and best speaker terminals and and and.............

I have a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport and it is awesome. It cost a lot of $$$ and it has depreciated quite a bit in 4 years. Then GM stopped making rear wheel drive Corvettes and only offer mid engine Corvettes. I love the looks of the new mid engine Corvette but I understood when I went to the Chevy dealership and told them I wanted one and asked them to give me a new one for free or make my rear wheel drive car into a mid engine exotic. They told me no problem except for the free part. Sure Sir - for $85,000 we will give you the latest greatest - Damn GM!!!!! lol

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Just a little correction. The C8 is still rear wheel drive, lol.......

OK but it is no longer front engine rear wheel drive - it is mid engine rear wheel drive - I had one on order but decided I wanted to keep my C7 Crand Sport because I love it and its almost totally paid for.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Well technically it’s AWD. But you are right, the GS you have is a beautiful car.

I do not think it is AWD - the engine on the C8 does not drive the front wheels - hooked to only the rear wheels.

This is my Grand Sport and it is a fun car to own and drive

335FF4B6-EA31-4369-A578-BA3AC40B768C copy.jpg

• Like 6

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators
19 minutes ago, Ali E. said:

Wouldn't the kit just be a crossover and K702 driver? Are these parts available to buy either direct or through a dealer/repair center?

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't think they have announced an official upgrade kit with all of the new things you need to take a III to a IV, or if you can get K702s from Klipsch parts. Others may have more information since this was originally posted.

Travis

• Like 2

Love the sound of my Forte 3s.  I think it would be more productive to spend the upgrade money elsewhere in a system.  I assume the Forte 4 has some improvement...but to my ears and wallet it would be hard to justify.  I would consider the next step up to Cornwall 4....but the size (and cost) make them more of a challenge to manage.  I'm sure they sound great.

• Like 4

• Klipsch Employees
On 3/4/2021 at 6:49 AM, ODS123 said:

Have you heard the two side by side?

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:33 PM, Chief bonehead said:

No..  I've heard each in different setups but never side by side.  ..Both sound great to me.

But I stand by my comment that whenever I HAVE heard new/previous iterations of speakers side-by-side (volume-matched, etc.), the differences ended up being much smaller than the manufacturer would lead you to believe.   I suspect this would be true of F3 v F4, H3 v H4, C3 v C4, etc....

Was Klipsch NOT an excellent speaker company that had considerable engineering, and manufacturing resources on hand when those previous iterations were designed/ built?  Yes, of course they were and did.   Has Klipsch's understanding of speaker design taken some HUGE leaps forward in the years b/w the 3's and 4's?  Not likely.

I'm simply encouraging posters not to succumb to buyer's remorse and trade in their 1-2 year-old F3's without first hearing the F3 alongside the F4. ..Ideally while blinded, volumes precisely-matched, etc..  ..If they do this I suspect they'll agree that the differences are small, perhaps even imperceptible.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

the differences ended up being much smaller than the manufacturer would lead you to believe.   I suspect this would be true of F3 v F4, H3 v H4, C3 v C4, etc....

Has Klipsch's understanding of speaker design taken some HUGE leaps forward in the years b/w the 3's and 4's?  Not likely.

I'm simply encouraging posters not to succumb to buyer's remorse and trade in their 1-2 year-old F3's without first hearing the F3 alongside the F4.

While I would agree about possibly about the differences between the F-III & F-IV since they were released so close to each other (Chief would know best) I don't think the differences between the C-III & IV or H-III & IV would be as subtle.

On 1/6/2022 at 7:33 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Considering how quickly the F-III's were replaced by the IV's it would only seem fair to offer upgrade kits to the III owners what would it take a new crossover and mid driver? Substantially easier than the old H-II to III upgrade kit of the past. I know if I threw down a bunch of cash on the F-III's I'd want the option to upgrade them and not have to sell my III's to buy the IV's, a move that might cost me another 50% of my original purchase price. 

I do have the H3 and H4, and compared side by side, same system. Very minutes differences, to my ears, at higher price. In fact, I prefer the H3's, Weird, but true.

I love my Forte III's, and don't have any remorse or desire to "upgrade", after my experience with the H3 vs H4's.

Enjoy your F-3's, they are amazing speakers. don't chase the "0.1% improvement" and save you $ for other components if you desire. 

My 2 cents. 

• Like 2