Forte III Upgrade??

have not heard the forte 3 or 4 so cant really comment on them but if someone spent $3000+ for F3s & then a couple years later spent another $4000 for the 4s, did they really make a $4000 upgrade??  i would guessnot.  

Your math makes no sense. It’s not a 4000 upgrade. It’s only the difference between the price of the two speakers, also factoring in depreciation for the earlier model. But it’s not 4K.

10 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

same things apply to the 1 to 2 models, ive owned forte & F2's & there is very little difference in the sound... some actually like the forte better than the F2. side by side it was very hard to tell the difference between the 2, as ODS123 said, it was very subtle at best.  

While I have to agree with you on the F-I to F-2 comparison at least on axis I do believe the changes between the 3 & 4 are considerably more significant than the changes between the 1 & 2. The new crossover for one is a biggie and a completely different mid driver could easily alter the sound quite dramatically. 

The 2's by comparison have a larger mid horn and passive than the 1's-- not much else is different. 

Your math makes no sense. It’s not a 4000 upgrade. It’s only the difference between the price of the two speakers, also factoring in depreciation for the earlier model. But it’s not 4K.

the math was a general comment.  however, if someone paid $3000+ for F3 then buys F4 for $4000-- correction $4998 at most places, thats a ~$2000 difference. 

of course you can sell the F3s to recoup some money but after depreciation you'd get maybe $2000 used, usually closer to half the initial investment.  you spent $3000, sell for $1500-$2000, thats a $1000-1500 loss,  then turn around & spend $5000 for the F4... so the new number comparison is $3000+ to upgrade from F3 to F4s.  each person has a different budget but for the most part i dont see that being a bargain or money well spent.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jjptkd said:

While I have to agree with you on the F-I to F-2 comparison at least on axis I do believe the changes between the 3 & 4 are considerably more significant than the changes between the 1 & 2. The new crossover for one is a biggie and a completely different mid driver could easily alter the sound quite dramatically. 

The 2's by comparison have a larger mid horn and passive than the 1's-- not much else is different. 

i agree the differences between F3 & F4 are much more significant than F1 to F2,  my main point was the price difference/loss going from F3 to F4 after a couple years. 

maybe someday soon i will hear the F3 & f4 & change my mind that $3000+ price difference is worth the upgrade,  in the meantime i would much rather spend that $3000 on a nice pair of used K-horns, or other models like lascala & a nice sub or 4 KPT 904s or KPT456 & have better speakers than the F4 & have $1000+ left over.  

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators
On 1/27/2022 at 9:46 PM, Paducah Home Theater said:

That being said, given the situation, I fully believe that Forte 3 users deserve an upgrade kit if at all possible.  If the cabinet had changed, sure, make them buy the new version.  But it hasn't.  Woofer is the same.  And the cabinet.  and the radiator.  and the mid horn.  The biggest difference is the crossover and the compression driver on the mid horn.  and yeah there's a new phase plug on the tweeter that's in question.  Customers shouldn't have to return or sell their Forte 3's just to buy something that's almost the same thing.  It's a significant financial burden on the customer and/or the dealer for no good reason, one that many aren't wiling to take on, yet they could be enjoying the same improved sound for a significantly lower price.  Klipschorn upgrade kits are available and allowed.  If those are, I don't understand why Forte 3 guys can't upgrade to the 4's.  

Looks like you got some good news recently.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 1/27/2022 at 9:46 PM, Paducah Home Theater said:

That being said, given the situation, I fully believe that Forte 3 users deserve an upgrade kit if at all possible.  If the cabinet had changed, sure, make them buy the new version.  But it hasn't.  Woofer is the same.  And the cabinet.  and the radiator.  and the mid horn.  The biggest difference is the crossover and the compression driver on the mid horn.  and yeah there's a new phase plug on the tweeter that's in question.  Customers shouldn't have to return or sell their Forte 3's just to buy something that's almost the same thing.  It's a significant financial burden on the customer and/or the dealer for no good reason, one that many aren't wiling to take on, yet they could be enjoying the same improved sound for a significantly lower price.  Klipschorn upgrade kits are available and allowed.  If those are, I don't understand why Forte 3 guys can't upgrade to the 4's.  

Looks like you got some good news recently.

Must have been you writing one letter a week to Roy until he caved. :)