KLF30 vs Forte II

I've never heard either of them, but the KLFs seem like mighty speakers to me. I think the difference will be cosmetic mostly: the Fortes are part of the Heritage line and have that vintage look, while the set you have now have that 'modern' look. 

I'm sure others will chime in and be more knowledgeable than me! 

1 hour ago, Little Wolf said:

Hello!

I have for many years KLF30's: I love them!

Next sunday I'd like to go to my dealer to hear a couple of vintage Forte II.

What differences could I expect? 

Thanks

Different animals but IMO, both sound great.

Bill

• Like 1

Like willland said above - they are two different speakers. Owning both I prefer the klf-30s over the forte IIs. But by no means would I say the forte IIs are not as good, just different. The only drawback (if we had to chose) would be that the forte IIs can be sensitive to placement.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to listen to Forte II's: great speakers! 

I really like their richness on high frequences and the reality on mid.

I was only a bit disappointed about low range: they lack bass! How is that possible?

They should have more bass than my KLF30's (they start from 32hz vs 36hz KLF's)

Maybe they was placed too far from rear wall? (about 3,2 ft)

34 minutes ago, Little Wolf said:

I was only a bit disappointed about low range: they lack bass! How is that possible?

Everything being equal the 30's should have more bass with twice the woofage. The frequency response ratings in the spec's are the -3db point across the spectrum and do not reflect how loud bass will be percieved by the listener especially given that each room and set up will likely be dramatically different  from each other and the lab they were measured in by Klipsch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Little Wolf said:

More vs deeper is the difference, similar to pressure vs volume of liquids. 

I like them both. The KLF30 are some real rockers. The Forte have a better balanced sound, IMHO. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Little Wolf said:

With my Forte 1s I found the bass to be best in my listening room at 6 inches from the back wall. My Forte IVs sound best 8-10 inches off back wall - 6 inches is too close and farther out in the room than 8” doesn’t make them sound better.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2021 at 10:34 AM, MeloManiac said:

I've never heard either of them, but the KLFs seem like mighty speakers to me. I think the difference will be cosmetic mostly: the Fortes are part of the Heritage line and have that vintage look, while the set you have now have that 'modern' look. 

I'm sure others will chime in and be more knowledgeable than me! 

FYI: forte & forte2 are not part of the original heritage line, current fortes & others are called heritage for marketing purposes.  original heritage was K-horn, la scala, belle, cornwall & heresy. 

23 hours ago, Little Wolf said:

forte2 have very good bass but as mentioned are sensitive to placement, with the rear passive they need to be in a corner & pulled out from the rear wall ~6"-12",  not 3 feet.  when placed right they have excellent bass response.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Little Wolf said:

you're a candidate for the Chorus Speakers ----try and seek a Chorus 1 or 2 --it's chest pounding bass

On 3/15/2021 at 10:01 AM, Little Wolf said:

The tweeter and the mid in a Forte 2 is the same as used in a Chorus 2 only the crossover of the Chorus differs as the mid is used to play down a little lower. Chorus can generate chest pounding bass but it is worth remembering this is in the 120 -140Hz range. KLF30 does not play quite a s low as either Forte but it pushes a lot more air so it has greater impact than a single 12" Forte.

The tweeter in a KLF20 or KLF30 is the same tweeter used in both the Forte and Chorus model lines. While the mid drivers used in Forte Chorus and KLF are also the same the mid horn of the KLF is a newer and wider band design than that used in the Forte 2 or the Chorus 2 (both use the same mid horn). Hope this helps and is of interest.

• Thanks 1