Tommy John surgery might be in my kids future. Know anything about it?

JL Sargent

Waiting on MRI results, but it 's already not looking good. A whole lot of baseball over 12 years has gotten us to this place.  He can do anything except throw a baseball without pain. Really weird in that he could bench press a Pinto, but can't hardly throw a ball. Does anybody here have experience with this?

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Waiting on MRI results, but it 's already not looking good. A whole lot of baseball over 12 years has gotten us to this place.  He can do anything except throw a baseball without pain. Really weird in that he could bench press a Pinto, but can't hardly throw a ball. Does anybody here have experience with this?

So sorry to hear that.  I've heard repeatedly that the surgeries are almost always a success and pitchers come normally out on the other side after rehab.   There's even talk of having it done preemptively so they don't have issues down the road.

• Like 2

Brings to memory that in high school I could throw a baseball very fast and a long way from the outfield direct to the catcher. Never messed with the cutoff guy. Now I can't throw functionally overhand or sidearm but I push it like a girl. Good grief. On top of that the other shoulder is the one that hurts some of the time.

JJK

• Like 1

Thanks for the well wishes and concern guys. I thought somebody here might have had this procedure. JJK, sounds like you could of had an arm procedure or two yourself. I suggested he start throwing with the left hand. He didn't seem to like that idea.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Really weird in that he could bench press a Pinto, but can't hardly throw a ball.

The car or a small horse? Either way is impressive. When he gets to Clydesdale or Chrysler Imperial, you will have to start being nicer to him.

The good news is that he will be better than original equipment after the surgery. Not may injuries have that luxury. If he plans to continue playing ball, it will be a good thing. It will suck during rehab and missing a season, but....... I know a few that have had it done, all with good results.

I specialize in knee surgery like Carl. 

• Like 2

I think this operation is pretty safe these days, he's young and should be ok, just do exactly what the dr says.

I would rather deal with the elbow than the shoulder. 

@JL Sargent does your son spend a long time warming his arm up before a game or practice? It always took me about an hour of warming up before I would starting throwing hard. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

does your son spend a long time warming his arm up before a game or practice?

I would say a good 30 minutes warming up, but I suspect this problem is from many years of overuse as much as anything. He has pitched one game and then caught 2 games in 24 hrs more times than I can count. Doc. thinks the ligament might simply be "worn out".  His coach told him today to get a new glove and start working with throwing lefty and he would use him on 1st. He is our still our DH and batting is unaffected by the problem. We'll see what happens.

• Like 1

Had a coworker's son go through it after he started his college baseball career.  He was a highly recruited catcher with a rocket arm and Pudge-like batting power.  If I am not mistaken, he sat out an entire college baseball season.  I think it was about 9 months of full recovery.

Bill

• Like 1

My brother in law (did years in the minors up through AAA but never got the call) had the surgery after he got out of professional game. He'd been pitching recreationally in beer leagues when the pain got to be too much so he had the surgery in his mid-40s about 7 years ago.  After a year out of the game he's back in the beer leagues claiming that he's got more control now than he did before the surgery even into his 50s.

• Like 1

I played baseball for 12 years, only positions I ever played was pitcher and catcher, so I threw a lot of baseballs. I had three surgeries at once on my right shoulder about 20 months ago...rotator cuff, labrum, and bicep tendon tears. Even though I no longer play baseball, I still like to throw anything, baseball, football, rocks! I finally tested my arm by throwing a basketball a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised at my results. I have most of my strength back, and my target is better than ever. I did everything the dr said, and it paid off.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I still like to throw anything, baseball, football, rocks!

Funny, me too.:P  I get to work about 15 minutes earlier than everyone and just about every morning I pull out the football and throw it in the parking lot and go retrieve it.  My coworker thinks I'm nuts but surely admires how I can still sling it at 56 years old.  If I forget my football, it's on to the gravel/rocks in the beds.:D

Bill

• Like 2