Tommy John surgery might be in my kids future. Know anything about it?

JL Sargent

• Moderators
On 3/8/2021 at 7:56 PM, JL Sargent said:

We got great news today. The ligament is only strained and not torn. He can resume light throwing next week and we have him lined up for some physical therapy on it too. Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

How old is he?

What's the rush? This is all about mechanics, according to the science and medicine. Nolan Ryan pitched for almost 30 years in the bigs before he needed a surgery. This has been studied and studied. Here is some basics: https://clients.chrisoleary.com/Pitching/The-Epidemic/Science-Behind-The-Epidemic

Get this book by the team doctor for the Yankees. 

https://mikereinold.com/understanding-tommy-john-surgery-and-how-to-avoid-it/

Evidence suggests the trend has impacted adolescent athletes with a 50% increase in UCL reconstructions in high school baseball players aged 15 to 19 years old.3 In New York State alone, the volume of UCL reconstructions increased by 193% over a 10-year period.3  These younger players may feel pressures within the competitive culture in youth baseball. This may lead players to play through pain and more talented players may be told they have to throw more frequently and with greater intensity.

While there are several reasons why there are so many Tommy John injuries, research has described overuse to be the main cause of player injury.

There is a 500% increase in risk for surgery for those players that pitch more than 8 months per year and a 400% increase in risk is observed for those that throw more than 80 pitches per game.3

• Like 1

A few years ago when I was coaching youth baseball, I saw a Curt Schilling interview where he was asked 'what advice would you give young pitchers?'  His response was along the lines of "Forget the off-speed breaking stuff - first learn how to throw and place a good fastball."  This advice, along with limiting pitch counts and mandating rest days, will save a lot of young arms.  Unfortunately, I saw coaches blatantly cheating and riding their one young stud pitcher for short term glory.  And I was just coaching in the town "house" league - the pressures in the travel teams was times 10.

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 3/10/2021 at 6:59 AM, pbphoto said:

A few years ago when I was coaching youth baseball, I saw a Curt Schilling interview where he was asked 'what advice would you give young pitchers?'  His response was along the lines of "Forget the off-speed breaking stuff - first learn how to throw and place a good fastball."  This advice, along with limiting pitch counts and mandating rest days, will save a lot of young arms.  Unfortunately, I saw coaches blatantly cheating and riding their one young stud pitcher for short term glory.  And I was just coaching in the town "house" league - the pressures in the travel teams was times 10.

I have seen some parents 10 times worse.