Celestion Axi2050 2" compression driver on K-402 horn and Jubilee bass bin

Chris A

3 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Yes, the Celestion could work well on your existing horn, but I wonder if your situation might be caused by room acoustics. You mentioned using a 7db shelf filter. Can you instead try a narrow PEQ filter?

This is my measured in-room response. I have a Xilica but do not have it hooked up yet which would probably give me the ability to use a narrow Q notch on that breakup. I’m only using my Rotel PEQ now which has somewhat limit frequency ranges and associated bandwidths.

5E0FB112-AB1D-4FEA-90D4-AD4659FB03E1.png

9519A7FC-9BBA-4EA8-8085-6D4A7EF5D2C4.png

Yes, the Celestion could work well on your existing horn, but I wonder if your situation might be caused by room acoustics. You mentioned using a 7db shelf filter. Can you instead try a narrow PEQ filter?

That 11,000 hz contour is a shelf filter only… I have a heavy-handed 11 db notch at 130 hz for boundary gain. 

DFAF0295-9E44-46CB-9F4F-BC3F42ABC4D3.png

My apologies, I did not send the right image of the raw room response without corrections applied before. Correct image is attached.

1F158E4A-C7F1-46C7-8B5D-D1A61CE15A4A.jpeg

The Celestion Axi2050 will work with any 2" throat horn.  However, it will not work with the KI-396 passive crossover as the driver requires significant EQ for flat response.  It's also physically deeper.  You should check to see if it will fit in the cabinet. 

11 hours ago, MMurg said:

The Celestion Axi2050 will work with any 2" throat horn.  However, it will not work with the KI-396 passive crossover as the driver requires significant EQ for flat response.  It's also physically deeper.  You should check to see if it will fit in the cabinet. 

Horn won't help the need for eq either.  396 uses the same cd horn ‘mumps’ version of the k-510…

8 hours ago, Bjorn said:

An off-topic question. Does anyone know which DSP the new Jubilee is using?

A custom DSP just for the Jubilee.  Roy did not mention who was manufacturing the units at the last JubFest. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 3:13 PM, Khornukopia said:

Were you able to adjust the EQ and/or speaker placement to help your loudspeakers sound quality at your listening position?

Yeah I mostly got it flat (in-room but on my desired house curve. I may try dialing it in further on my XILICA once I get the extra XLR cables. My only complaint is I wish I could bring up the air frequencies details 11khz and up without also bringing up the ringing/breakup from around 12-15khz. I’ll use the XILICA to see if I can put a narrow Q notch filter in that region without totally shelving everything above 12 kHz by 6 db. I may eventually look at the Celestion driver mentioned above if it has less fatiguing breakup. Oddly I am only really bothered by the breakup with music, movies on the other hand, I am completely happy with the stock KI-396. I heard these drivers on the Klipsch Real Custom Cinema line and was really impressed, actually more so than hearing the Cornwall IV. 

If I go the Celestion compression driver route I’ll install a bi-amping set of terminals in the back, buy a second Crown DCI amp and use the XILICA as an active crossover. I am assuming it would still be wise to cross over at 1000 hz with that K-510M horn. The only thing I’m honestly not sure about is how to measure time alignment between the two drivers. 

On 6/4/2023 at 7:05 AM, IndyHT80 said:

Yeah I mostly got it flat (in-room but on my desired house curve. I may try dialing it in further on my XILICA once I get the extra XLR cables. My only complaint is I wish I could bring up the air frequencies details 11khz and up without also bringing up the ringing/breakup from around 12-15khz.

I still wonder if your complaint may be caused by the room acoustics. Is it possible to aim a speaker at an open doorway, turn up the music and listen from the other room, for comparison?

• Like 1

I have vinyl covered high seat back theater seats that may be causing harsh boundary reflections near my ears otherwise the room is relatively damped with carpet and blackout curtains. It’s an apartment so I have to keep everything portable until I build a home and dedicated theater room.