Amplifier/Receiver for Klipsch RP-280F speakers

Hardi

Hi

Can anyone suggest receiver for RP-280f? I live in Europe so it should be found in the market here. I listen to pop/dance music mostly and from Spotify.  Right now I have Harman/Kardon 3770. Will I get anything better with the price around 1000 euros or will it cost me more to make any difference? Got my speakers few months ago with very good price and now I found a good deal for Klipsch RF-7 III (I wish I had not :) ).  So the new receiver should be able to play RF-7 as well. Checked from the forums and Youtube, some guys are using pre-amplifiers and things that I can not even give name to :)So as you can problably understand already I am a regular guy who really got to like his speakers and does not really know about these things. Now I want to make sure that I can get pretty much the most out from my speakers. I understand that there are hi-end receivers in the market with higher price that cheaper ones can not get close to in the specs but I would like to keep it simple with optimal price. 

Thanks!

Hardi

Edited by Hardi
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

Your Harman/Kardon 3737 is a fine amplifier and should do fine with both speaker sets. It does lack modern connectivity like Spotify Connect, Wifi, Internet radio etc.

But if you don't need that immediately, I would first invest in the RF7 and use the H/K with them for a while. It could well be that this combo works well together!

The RF7 III is quite a different beast than the RP280F: the RF7 is a high-end, really powerful speaker and you should definitely choose an amplifier that matches that quality. They love good tube amplifiers like Primaluna and other brands, but the price point is steep: you'll have to invest a couple thousand euros to get where you want. 

A good solid state amp can sound really great too and they are cheaper and more user friendly. There are many out there, and my suggestion would  be the Marantz PM7000N, which is an amplifier with future proof streaming capabilities. Its amplifier section is double mono, which is a good thing: both channels have their power section.

Note this is an amplifier for music lovers, it is less usable for home theater or multi channel setups.

https://www.marantz.com/en-gb/shop/amplifier/pm7000n 

xl_pm7000n_n_sg_fr_new1_microsite.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

Welcome to the forum!

Your Harman/Kardon 3737 is a fine amplifier and should do fine with both speaker sets. It does lack modern connectivity like Spotify Connect, Wifi, Internet radio etc.

But if you don't need that immediately, I would first invest in the RF7 and use the H/K with them for a while. It could well be that this combo works well together!

The RF7 III is quite a different beast than the RP280F: the RF7 is a high-end, really powerful speaker and you should definitely choose an amplifier that matches that quality. They love good tube amplifiers like Primaluna and other brands, but the price point is steep: you'll have to invest a couple thousand euros to get where you want. 

A good solid state amp can sound really great too and they are cheaper and more user friendly. There are many out there, and my suggestion would  be the Marantz PM7000N, which is an amplifier with future proof streaming capabilities. Its amplifier section is double mono, which is a good thing: both channels have their power section.

Note this is an amplifier for music lovers, it is less usable for home theater or multi channel setups.

https://www.marantz.com/en-gb/shop/amplifier/pm7000n 

xl_pm7000n_n_sg_fr_new1_microsite.png

Hi

Thanks for the info!
I really appreciate it! :)

Hardi

Hello,

It is not clear to me whether you want only a 2 channel or multi-channel receiver.

I use a XTZ A2-300 as (external) power amp (2 x 100 W @ 8 Ohm) with a Denon receiver on my RP-8060FA's. If your current Harman Kardon has an external output, you could just add this 2 channel amp.
The amplifier is stable down to 2.7 Ω (2 x 460 W) - lots of current available. The amplifier uses Class D modules from ICEpower, which are known here on the forum and are generally well regarded as quality amps. 

The XTZ wesite (https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/edge-series) sets the price to 495€ - that is a very very good price for this amp.

I found this nice test (original language German): https://www.areadvd.de/tests/test-xtz-edge-a2-300-ultrakompakte-und-leistungsstarke-stereo-endstufe-fuer-weniger-als-500-eur/

Translated version: 'click' on the picture to get a better readable version.

P1s.thumb.jpg.868e49c9320cff5aa04a017ffee4b570.jpg

P2s.thumb.jpg.0142591764855f27042eaf47ffaca43a.jpg

p3s.thumb.jpg.c83aae3c5d5709a0de3efc0fef1ccd67.jpg

P4s.thumb.jpg.776c287eeabbcee3df8c366629946901.jpg

P5s.thumb.jpg.962ac3fdb4bb878a0f61b830d8b6fc60.jpg

P6s.thumb.jpg.f376c500b0daba920f12cfc867c15230.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JefDC said:

Hello,

It is not clear to me whether you want only a 2 channel or multi-channel receiver.

I use a XTZ A2-300 as (external) power amp (2 x 100 W @ 8 Ohm) with a Denon receiver on my RP-8060FA's. If your current Harman Kardon has an external output, you could just add this 2 channel amp.
The amplifier is stable down to 2.7 Ω (2 x 460 W) - lots of current available. The amplifier uses Class D modules from ICEpower, which are known here on the forum and are generally well regarded as quality amps. 

The XTZ wesite (https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/edge-series) sets the price to 495€ - that is a very very good price for this amp.

I found this nice test (original language German): https://www.areadvd.de/tests/test-xtz-edge-a2-300-ultrakompakte-und-leistungsstarke-stereo-endstufe-fuer-weniger-als-500-eur/

Translated version: 'click' on the picture to get a better readable version.

P1s.thumb.jpg.868e49c9320cff5aa04a017ffee4b570.jpg

P2s.thumb.jpg.0142591764855f27042eaf47ffaca43a.jpg

p3s.thumb.jpg.c83aae3c5d5709a0de3efc0fef1ccd67.jpg

P4s.thumb.jpg.776c287eeabbcee3df8c366629946901.jpg

P5s.thumb.jpg.962ac3fdb4bb878a0f61b830d8b6fc60.jpg

P6s.thumb.jpg.f376c500b0daba920f12cfc867c15230.jpg

Hello

Thanks for the reply!

2-channel will do. Just to make sure: what will improve if I would use this power amp? (H/K 3770 that I own has 2x120W @ 8 Ohm.) 

Hardi

38 minutes ago, Hardi said:

Hello

Thanks for the reply!

2-channel will do. Just to make sure: what will improve if I would use this power amp? (H/K 3770 that I own has 2x120W @ 8 Ohm.) 

Hardi

That is alot of power. H/K can be believed on their power ratings. Should do well without an external amp.

Sorry for butting in and welcome to the forum...

40 minutes ago, Hardi said:

Hello

Thanks for the reply!

Hardi

I mentioned connectivity in my first post, but I think you're now asking about sound quality, right?

That's a tough question to answer, or at least to predict.

I can only relate my own personal experience.

In the past 3 years, I have owned quite a few amps, and they all have different quality and character, they all sound different, and though you'd think that is something subjective and personal, it really is not. Some amps make music sound hollow and artificial, some make you hear the original musical instruments. Some amps sound nicely balanced in the lows, mids and highs, while others exagerate the lows or highs in an ugly way.

And the newest amps, or those with the highest watts are not necessarily the best sounding either.

In my case, my best amp is my Leben CS300 tube amp. It has 12 Watts. It was made in Japan around 2007.

Next in line my Harman/Kardon 430 twin engine receiver, made in the US in the 1970s. Twin engine here means that it has separate transformers for both channels. It is solid state, but sounds really well and powerful;

I also own a Denon microsystem which sounds really good. Then I have an entry level Marantz PM5005, which I liked in the beginning, but now that I have the H/K430 and the Leben CS300, that Marantz 'hearts my ears' when I listen to it...

In short, what you need is an amp that is able the recreate the musicality of the original instruments/vocie or the 'live experience' of a rock concert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardi said:

The RF7 -III can handle 250 wpc  and 1000 watts peak  ,  which means the 120 wpc  HK 3770  although capable  to power these speakers will distort much earlier than if  we take as an example  a 240wpc amplifier for a comparison  -

so , how will it sound ?     a 240 wpc amplifier will give you 3db more presence (SPL )   than your current HK 3770 -120wpc amplifier because we are at 2x the power output for an equal sound level -

the improvement of a 2x more powerful amplifier  =  +3db  = more headroom = 2x less distortion =  cleaner  sound -

1 hour ago, Hardi said:

Hello

Thanks for the reply!

Hardi

Possibly and probably not much. H/K was known to have stable amplifiers, I guess the gain would be minimal and depending on the impedance curve of the RF7III (which I cannot find) the RF7 had a dip to 2.7 ohms and RF7II dipped to 3.7 ohms. 

If you really want to push the envelope you need to look to amplifiers that match the peak power of 1000W (and stable) might be expensive - but honestly I don' t see the point if you are using it in a normal room - too loud.

I would first use your present amplifier and see (hear) what the result is before buying a new one. 

17 minutes ago, billybob said:

I seriously doubt OP will get over half volume on his H/K powering the 280s...

---But -the OP seems to think he can  power 2 pairs of speakers  with a single -120wpc amp -  the rp-280f &  the RF7-III  -

( So the new receiver should be able to play RF-7 as well. )

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

---But -the OP seems to think he can  power 2 pairs of speakers  with a single -120wpc amp -  the rp-280f &  the RF7-III  -

( So the new receiver should be able to play RF-7 as well. )

Lol, I read the 1st post again and am not convinced that he will be playing all 4 speakers hooked and playing at the same time using 4 channels driven at the same time.

If not happy about the connectivity part, he could update with something better at it for his needs. If no pre-outs for external amp after checking the H/K out, he will have choices to make.

Finis...thanks Randy!

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks everyone for replying!

- I will use 2 speakers. If I will get RF-7's, I will sell 280's.

-Then if I understand correctly: Main criteria at the price range ...-2K's is the power. Otherwize it is just a matter of taste pretty much. Thing is that I started to look around and there are lots of different receivers with much higher price (H/K 3770 was about 500 euros, aftermarket price 165 euros). That made me to think about the possibility that I could get more out from my speakers because why would anyone buy 2x...10x more expensive receivers than I have  without gaining any real difference. Ofcourse I understand that there are audiophiles whos experiense and hearing is from another planet than mine. But I am sure that there are many guys like me who just want something a little better than stuff that they sell in the supermarkets.

As I understand: I have possibility to accept what I have or pay about 3-4K  or more to hear any real difference. I can only imagine how much will it cost to get the maching 2x250W @ 8ohm for the RF7's. Otherwize I can test the aftermarket receivers and change them more often. For example I found Denon AVR-2809 (7.1) with the power of 135W @8ohm. Price is 150 euros. Receiver is located right under my TV so the absense of Spotify app or internet is not a problem. :)

Really nice to get so much feedback in just few days. Thanks! :)

Hardi

Edited by Hardi
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hardi said:

Hi

Thanks everyone for replying!

- I will use 2 speakers. If I will get RF-7's, I will sell 280's.

-Then if I understand correctly: Main criteria at the price range ...-2K's is the power. Otherwize it is just a matter of taste pretty much. Thing is that I started to look around and there are lots of different receivers with much higher price (H/K 3770 was about 500 euros, aftermarket price 165 euros). That made me to think about the possibility that I could get more out from my speakers because why would anyone buy 2x...10x more expensive receivers than I have  without gaining any real difference. Ofcourse I understand that there are audiophiles whos experiense and hearing is from another planet than mine. But I am sure that there are many guys like me who just want something a little better than stuff that they sell in the supermarkets.

As I understand: I have possibility to accept what I have or pay about 3-4K  or more to hear any real difference. I can only imagine how much will it cost to get the maching 2x250W @ 8ohm for the RF7's. Otherwize I can test the aftermarket receivers and change them more often. For example I found Denon AVR-2809 (7.1) with the power of 135W @8ohm. Price is 150 euros. Receiver is located right under my TV so the absense of Spotify app or internet is not a problem. :)

Really nice to get so much feedback in just few days. Thanks! :)

Hardi

You better choose an Amp dedicated to music rather than home cinema. In this case, less is more... 

• Thanks 1