Tom Danley's Hyperion

PrestonTom

16 hours ago, Fido said:

How much can I get a pair. For

You just missed out on a pair in GA for $3500. New they are a shade over 10K. There will be others since some sound companies go bigger! A speaker that's flat to 50 Hz. without a corner and has phase coherence enough to pass square waves over a decade of frequencies does become of "reference" quality in about 1/3 the volume of space of a Jubilee, leaving room underneath for a pair of BIG TH subs as "speaker stands that move the walls and scare strangers." I have had both.

On 3/9/2021 at 10:53 AM, The Dude said:

I don't know, maybe its me, but couldn't one build a 2'x2' MEH horn and set it on of a tapped horn and have something better, just not so "hifi" looking?  Not to crazy about the side mounted woofers myself. 

You have described exactly what I have done already, for about 2 years now, except the horn is 29x29" BUT is triangular so fits in a corner while generating too much BASS that needs to be EQ's out, thereby REDUCING the Intermodulation Distortion. Via the Published Papers, for which,  PWK was awarded a Silver Medal of Honor by the Audio Engineering Society.

As to the "not so hifi looking" part of it. Mine are white, which is much better than the ubiquitous black that so many speakers have for hiding purposes in an HT environment.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:21 PM, PrestonTom said:

This guy has a very good track record and the product should be taken seriously (in the past he has done some very innovative things). However, the specs shown almost look too good to be true, although we do not yet have all the information. In either case it is thought provoking. Although it is a not a Klipsch product, some of the DIY crowd may get some inspiration. 

Good luck, 

-Tom

The specs you speak of NEVER LIE. If anything, Tom and Mike's company under rates their specs. I have found them, without fail, going back about 7 years, that they meet or exceed their published specifications. I'm pretty sure that making a "hi fi" speaker for home, which, half of the partnership did NOT want to do before, will have some provision for microphone feedback of the room they sit in to adjust the DSP. Conjecture on my part only, but knowing what I know, and putting a lot of my money there (without EVER hearing them first, just like I did for Hypex), I would not be surprised!

Sounds amazing Claude - at $3500 that is not much more than I paid for my new Fortes and I think they would seriously kick the hell out of the Fortes - still my wife would never go for it in our setup - you have some great equipment

19 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Ah, but the SOUND!!

Can you describe what these sound like  ,  say  versus a Klipsch speaker

Speaker type | 4-Way Powered
Tweeter | 1” Polyester / Neodymium / Kapton
Midrange | 5” Treated Paper / Neodymium / Kapton
Woofer | 2x 8” Treated Paper / Neodymium
Subwoofer | 2x 15” Long Excursion
Frequency Response | 14Hz-23.7KHz
Crossover Frequency | 2kHz / 260Hz / 45Hz
Total Amplifier Power | 2650 Watt
Bass Amplifier | 1500 Watt
Low Amplifier | 750 Watt
Mid/High Amplifier | 400 Watt
Inputs | XLR
Height | 54.75 in | 139 cm
Horn Center | 45 in | 114 cm
Top Width | 22.5 in | 57 cm
Top Depth | 19.75 in | 50 cm
Base Width |28.25 in | 71.75 cm
Base Depth | 27.56 in | 70 cm

4 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Can you describe what these sound like  ,  say  versus a Klipsch speaker

Those don't exist, but they are a full range, and I'm confident this self contained speaker that will FINALLY meet the Bovine Sediment Spec. that consumer catalogs use to put out there......... Like 200 Watts IPP with (with 15 Watts RMS in parentheses)..............20 to 20K..............yeah, right................like 50 db down at 20!

These will be real based on PHYSICS and priced appropriately, just like all their products and Klipsch's.

4 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Can't  but feel like something is missing  in the Sound Dynamics

Listening to an iPhone recording reveals the true sound of speakers in a room......................NOT. Bovine Sediment at it's finest.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:26 PM, Chris A said:

I agree.  However, I do have an allergy to hype...just like PWK:

Says the man who basically copied Danley's approach for his own setup and created an MEH that EQUALS or betters the performance of a speaker 3 times the size. OK, got it.

By the way, since the product does NOT exist yet, I didn't read very much hype at all, just the usual things they say about their other products........................JUST LISTEN.

I'll be heading down to Georgia HQ to do just that as soon as they are available.

29 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

the true sound of speakers in a room..

my impression  of Danley  SH50   was more of a long throw speaker , now , if  Danley can manufacture a  line of  Studio Monitor type speakers ,  would be great -

• Like 1

• Moderators

Only heard 2 Danely designs, the Spud and it's bigger brother, both with plenty of output and both go low. But along with that both had plenty of distortion and sounded sloppy, thought it was good until hearing better. They were ok for HT but not so much for music.

Just my opinion, and only on 2 models.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

my impression  of Danley  SH50   was more of a long throw speaker , now , if  Danley can manufacture a  line of  Studio Monitor type speakers ,  would be great -

They already do. Lots to choose from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Only heard 2 Danely designs, the Spud and it's bigger brother, both with plenty of output and both go low. But along with that both had plenty of distortion and sounded sloppy, thought it was good until hearing better. They were ok for HT but not so much for music.

Just my opinion, and only on 2 models.

I agree. They were designed for HT primarily and need to cross pretty low, like 40 down but they get to 17 Hz. Rugged little 8" drivers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NBPK402 said:

How is a k402 3 times the size of a danley sh50?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

I was speaking of the Corner Horns, not the MEH in a 402. Besides, ChrisA is right about the narrow dispersion in his room. My walls are much narrower so per TomD, I put them right against the walls in the corners. The wall reflections of all frequencies produced add to the perceived width of the room. Besides, it's set up for only 1 listener, not 2 or a roomful when listening to 2 channels. Otherwise I kick the 8 Klipsch Surround channels for many more listening options.

11 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

The conventional 2 or 3-way horn designs, with separate horns, creates 3 different angles of sound dispersion, or Directivity Index (D.I.) which varies over a particular bandwidth, if you prefer those terms. They are a different kind of compromise that requires an optimum listening DISTANCE from them, for the sound to blend together as one cohesive source................more or less.

This is, perhaps why PWK always wanted to get back to a 2-way, from the 3-ways he was forced to design due to the limitations of DRIVER technologies. Now if we look at what Roy can work with nowadays, where the woofer section in the new Diamond Jubilee only needs to do 4 octaves before it hands off the other 6 to the K-402 and the Amazing new Axi driver from Celestion. Bigger is better, up to the point where Wife Acceptance Factor takes over, which is, most times, the Biggest compromise of all!! Remember the Room Acoustics and Aesthetics are at times the biggest compromise of ALL!!

20 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

the new Diamond Jubilee only needs to do 4 octaves before it hands off the other 6 to the K-402 and the Amazing new Axi driver from Celestion.

I was  expecting a 15-18 inch woofer , we are now told it's a single 12 inch -

On 3/11/2021 at 1:44 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

They already do. Lots to choose from.

Danley has  the phenomenal Studio 2 , a game changer 65 pounds , since a Sub is not needed   4k$ each  ,would like to see one and test it -