Tom Danley's Hyperion

PrestonTom

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

I was  expecting a 15-18 inch woofer , we are now told it's a single 12 inch -

There are many factors at play in trade offs when balancing the design of a loudspeaker. Depending on the final loudspeaker goals there can be real advantages to using a single 12” versus dual 12” or larger woofer diameter drivers especially when driver volume loading of the back chamber is locked in of which one would be a greater low frequency extension.

Trust Roy he knows a few things about loudspeaker design...😁

miketn

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

I was  expecting a 15-18 inch woofer , we are now told it's a single 12 inch -

Since it's only being asked to go up to 250-300 Hz. vs. about 450-600 for the twin 12" Theater Jubilee, and the fact that it's ported to use both sides of the cone in a horn, I'm sure Roy would use a bigger driver if he thought it was needed. Many Modern High Xmax 12" drivers can move more air, with stronger motors and larger voice coils than older 15" or 18" woofers. I'm happy to see a modern Active Xover box instead of lossy passive devices in the electro-acoustic transducer power path.

Oh, here we go again. Chris making comments that show how much he really doesn't know (again). Lots of conjectures with little or no evidence to support his conclusions. Chris, I'm sure a guy you has read Danley's patent on the Synergy Horn but just in case you haven't,  please do so. If you have, then I have to say that you don't fully understand it. Your very poor attempted execution of trying to make a Synergy Horn out of a K402 with some drivers tacked onto the horn sides proves this. Just like your "de-mastering" BS. If anything deserves the BS button it's your idea of "de-mastering".

The Hyperion looks very similar to the SH50 + Epik subs combo that I've been using for a number years now.

What I'd like to know about the Hyperion is how much of the performance (ie: flatness & smoothness of frequency response and phase response) is achieved through use of DSP (as opposed to physical configuration of drivers/horn design). The built-in amplifiers might also be a draw back for lots of people. We shall have to wait and see I guess.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shiva said:

Nice little demo of the directivity of a Danley sh-50.

Totally not necessary. If you can see the tweeter driver throat, you are in the zone of coverage. Give a very high direct to ambient ratio in any room, since you can even stick your face in the horn and it still sounds like a single driver, so sitting closer is just fine, since distance is not required to blend all the separate horns together.

5 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

I was just poking fun at the name of that loudspeaker. Tom Danley has my respect and I hope he builds a lot of speakers, but I like Klipsch better.

It's like saying you like Vanilla ice cream better than chocolate ice cream, even thought they sell way more Vanilla and it has been around for 75 years.

On 3/12/2021 at 12:01 PM, artto said:

read Danley's patent on the Synergy Horn

Interesting to see the Patent citations and other references in the "footnotes". Overall there are an whole lot of words in the document, are there some pertinent highlights you wish to point out for us to pay attention to?

On 3/6/2021 at 9:28 PM, Fido said:

People on some audio forums are speculating these may run close to $20,000 each. Yikes!

I assume they will sound amazing but will they have the PA look that most other Danley Speakers.

Speculation or not, that sound would be similar to one could have had for the last 11 years or so, if willing to buy "PA" speakers for home. The Tapped Horn-50 was designed for an IMAX theater in Chicago and 4 of them butted together is supposedly flat to 10 Hz. in the room. I had 3 of them in my large loft at one time before I had to downsize for my small house. At current prices, the same thing could be done with Stereo and Sub channels in any PrePro with whatever amps you want for HALF of the price scenario presented here. Especially when you factor in how reasonable the cost of Class D amps are today and the speakers and subs all have 100 db/Watt sensitivity. The nice thing about the upcoming Diamond Jubilee is that they will fit nicely into room corners whereas this Hyperion may not fit so nicely. In the looks department, the Diamonds will probably look better too. But it's just speculation on my part, nothing more.

• 2 months later...

I know Tom Danley and when he lived in Chicago and worked for Servo-Drive heard several of his systems at his home and at Chicago Horn Club meetings. The systems consisted of his Unity horns and Contrabass woofers and sounded superb, as good as anything. Danley has an original mind and knows what he's about.

C82BC478-E00B-4DB8-A08C-D101D97366BF.thumb.jpeg.c6850842a563977e4da9f5f1b0227680.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 10:53 AM, The Dude said:

I don't know, maybe its me, but couldn't one build a 2'x2' MEH horn and set it on of a tapped horn and have something better, just not so "hifi" looking?  Not to crazy about the side mounted woofers myself. 

You pretty much described my 2.2 setup. Same one Tom Danley and his business partner, DSL President Mike Hedden have in their homes, as told to me by each of them. Meanwhile the world is full of design compromised products, so why the double standards?