Is this okay to do?

HenrikTJ

Hi

I have both my HT and my gaming setup/home office in the same room. The desk for my pc is placed between my rear surround channel speakers as depicted below. These speakers have two pairs of speaker terminals, so basically can be bi-amped. Is it okay to use the second pair of terminals and hook them up to a separate sound system meant for my gaming setup? If not, then why? It goes without saying that both the HT and PC wont be used simultaneously, but I remember posing this question a long time ago on another forum, and the answer I got was "No, this is not okay", yet no one could explain why... 

Skjermbilde (163).png

• Like 1

So if I'm understanding your intentions correctly, it sounds like you would have two separate sound sources and amps driving your rear speakers, one from your home theatre system and one from your computer system. And while I understand that you won't use them simultaneously, I think the real problem is that you are essentially connecting the outputs of each amp to each other. So you're effectively adding a voltage across terminals and circuits that are designed to output a voltage but not the other way around.

Keep in mind that you still need to keep the two sets of binding posts on your speakers bridged so that your tweeter and woofers are simultaneously powered... which is why you'll also effectively be connecting the amps in the two systems together.

• Like 2

No, it's not okay.

If you leave the bridging terminals in place, you'll be feeding voltage from one system back into the outputs of the other system. Bad, possibly damaging to at least one of the systems.

If you remove the bridging terminals and run one system into one pair of terminals, and the other system into the other pair of terminals, what results is, one system only operates the woofers, while the other system only operates the remaining drivers (midrange, tweeters, etc.).

• Like 2

On 3/7/2021 at 9:45 AM, inMotionGraphics said:

So if I'm understanding your intentions correctly, it sounds like you would have two separate sound sources and amps driving your rear speakers, one from your home theatre system and one from your computer system. And while I understand that you won't use them simultaneously, I think the real problem is that you are essentially connecting the outputs of each amp to each other. So you're effectively adding a voltage across terminals and circuits that are designed to output a voltage but not the other way around.

Keep in mind that you still need to keep the two sets of binding posts on your speakers bridged so that your tweeter and woofers are simultaneously powered... which is why you'll also effectively be connecting the amps in the two systems together.

Aha i see now, thank you very much!

On 3/7/2021 at 12:52 PM, Peter P. said:

No, it's not okay.

If you leave the bridging terminals in place, you'll be feeding voltage from one system back into the outputs of the other system. Bad, possibly damaging to at least one of the systems.

If you remove the bridging terminals and run one system into one pair of terminals, and the other system into the other pair of terminals, what results is, one system only operates the woofers, while the other system only operates the remaining drivers (midrange, tweeters, etc.).

Thank you very much! 

2 hours ago, HenrikTJ said:

oh! Ill look into this. Didnt know this existed. Thank you!

Just use caution of course and make sure it is right before powering.

Thanks for the help you have given other's here over time...

On 3/7/2021 at 12:09 AM, HenrikTJ said:

The desk for my pc is placed between my rear surround channel speakers as depicted below.

Is it possible to pull the desk out a couple feet (turn it around if needed) and put your seat back against the wall? Then you can listen to your main speakers from an excellent position.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Is it possible to pull the desk out a couple feet (turn it around if needed) and put your seat back against the wall? Then you can listen to your main speakers from an excellent position.

The desk was set like that at first. Right up against the back of the sofa and facing the LCR. However, it turned out having the desk against the back wall made the whole room and setup look way more clean and open with regards to cable management and open space between the desk and back of the sofa. In addition, it looked much nicer having no extension cord running from the back wall and towards the sofa. I never use the HT system whilst on my pc anyways, so facing the canvas was never much of a priority.