Price check on Heresy I HBRs

sparton175

I found a seller about 2 hours from me selling a pair of Heresy I HBRs and he's asking $600. He stated they were purchased brand new by him in Germany and are all original. He's also willing to demo them when I go up there. They appear to be in OK shape with some damage to the veneer. What would you guys say the value is on these? Please see the attached photos for SNs and condition details.

received_138055524867430.jpeg

received_286621436137979.jpeg

received_1063448047474449.jpeg

received_521565015473619.jpeg

received_5170455426362117.jpeg

received_506033983697669.jpeg

• Like 1

I think it depends on what matters most to you. 
-You want to flip them? Then pass. 

-You want a super nice looking speaker that also sounds great? Wait for a more mint looking pair to come up for sale (3-12 months). 
-Listen to them, and if you love the sound, and plan to keep them for years, buy them without a moments hesitation. Dickering/worrying over $200 from a bargain bin type price versus the $600 asking price is less than $20 bucks a month over a year. You’ll get that much enjoyment out of them in a year if you listen to much music, and additional years are just a bonus. Worst case, you sell them for $400-$600, and you take a small loss. Worth it? Probably, if you love the way they sound when you buy them. Life is short, pull the trigger if you love the sound. 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for replying, for some reason I didn't get notified about the replies. I'm in the Washington DC area and I believe they do come with grilles. I wouldn't be flipping them I'd like to keep them for at least a few years and get them all cleaned up and in great shape. I'm really having a hard time finding any reasonably priced vintage Klipsch gear around here though. Cheapest Heresy II's listed for $750, Forte II's asking $1500, Cornwall's anywhere from $1500-3500. I keep seeing posts from just last year of people finding these for far far cheaper than the prices I'm seeing on CL and FB Marketplace. I'm looking at a pair of Cornwall's for $1000 but they look rough (water spots on the labels) and it would be at least a 12 round trip to go get them. Am I just in the most expensive market here or am I looking in the wrong places for vintage Klipsch? I'm willing to drive several hours round trip for the right deal but I'm not willing to pay these crazy prices that some people are asking.

• Thanks 1

Well, at least here in Germany one can see a lot of gear popping up on ebay lately. Many want to change gear, but i suspect a lot is related to covid as well and people sell. I really didn´t want to buy any more speakers, but today a pair of HBR 1 turned up and i may go for it (it´s still marked as "reserved".

Those stains are easily fixed, but if You feel like waiting, something will come up for sure. 600$ really is a bit steep...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, meeker1 said:

Search for a pair of Tangent 400s (https://www.klipsch.com/products/tangent-400) - essentially a Heresy II in a larger ported cabinet (so with bass!). The cabinet is particle board rather than ply, but the crossover says Heresy II on it and the drivers are the same as a Heresy II. Not known, so can be found for half the price of a Heresy II.

He is in Germany. But yes, same as the Tangent 500, T4000 and T5000...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, billybob said:

He is in Germany. But yes, same as the Tangent 500, T4000 and T5000...

Hi Bob, I was replying to Sparton175 in DC and the ad for $750 HIIs - a set of T400s can be had for ~$300. You could build a very nice cabinet for $450 (at least that has been my plan for the last 5 years 😆)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, meeker1 said:

Hi Bob, I was replying to Sparton175 in DC and the ad for $750 HIIs - a set of T400s can be had for ~$300. You could build a very nice cabinet for $450.

The others are generally bargain speakers also with same drivers. Cool he is in the states. Sorry!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, billybob said:

The others are generally bargain speakers also with same drivers. Cool he is in the states. Sorry!

No worries - yep, the T500 I think adds a passive radiator. A shame about the vinyl wrap and thinner cabs, but the innards are great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1