Help figuring out what speaker power to look for with my onkyo tx-nr686.

sullys79

I have a Onkyo Tx-nr686 i bought last year and i am currently running a old set of sony book shelf speakers and a center channel that are 100 watts and 8 ohms in a 5 speaker set up. I am looking to finally upgrade my speakers. I was hoping to be able to do tower speakers for the fronts and the bookshelf ones in the back with a new center channel. But i don't want to throw away money if my system isn't powerful enough to get the potential benefits. My question  is what wattage and ohm ratting should i be looking for? Not looking to spend a fortune on the speakers but i have looked at the polk t series and monitor series 2 , the sony core series and the klipsch if i can find the right sale. Any help would be appropriated. Thank you in advance.

Edited by sullys79

Are your current speakers loud enough with that AVR? It has plenty of power for any Klipsch speaker system, it should do well. It really depends on your end goal and budget. Are used speakers a possibility? Location. The folks are experts at finding good deals on gear. Welcome.....

• Like 2

Thank for the suggestions. I usually gave my amp turned up to 60 with the speakers i currently have to get the volume i want. I am looking for advice on the technical specs i should be looking for in a new set of speakers and if the amp is powerful enough to push a set of tower speakers for the fronts or if i should stick to bookshelf style speakers like i have now. Thanks.

Edited by sullys79
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sullys79 said:

Thank for the suggestions. I usually gave my amp turned up to 60 with the speakers i currently have to get the volume i want. I am looking for advice on the technical specs i should be looking for in a new set of speakers and if the amp is powerful enough to push a set of tower speakers for the fronts or if i should stick to bookshelf style speakers like i have now. Thanks.

Actually a Klipsch Tower may be easier to drive (and you can get louder/crisper with current avr) than what you have now if you ask yourself:

12 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Are your current speakers loud enough with that AVR? It has plenty of power for any Klipsch speaker system, it should do well. It really depends on your end goal and budget. Are used speakers a possibility? 

Regardless, there is no way your current AVR wouldn't work with pretty much anything in the Klipsch line you would be looking at with the exception that ceptorman pointed out is if you want it louder. Once you get nice speakers in place usually that's not what you consider upgrading unless you stay here too long. 😬

• Like 1

Yes bought new Sony bookshelves 4 for my best buddy.

He was using an Optimus AVR.

It will be a noticeable upgrade with some Klipsch towers and 

Surround. 

Buddy was scratching his head after hearing my systems. 

Dang, come to think of it, bought him an used H/K AVR.

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

Thank you again for the advise. I am really thinking due to cost restraints that i am gonna go with the polk audio cs1 series 2 , with the 60 monitor series 2 towers in the front and the monitor 40 series 2 bookshelf speakers for the rears. If i did go this route i just wanted to double check i am not gonna run into any underpowered issues basically i am looking for good sound quality and a little more performance in the loudness of the setup. Yet again thank you for any or all advice. 

Edited by sullys79

Unfortunately i don't have any stores near by me that would carry most of what i am looking at. Best location i had was best buy and it just closed for good about a month ago. So it is gonna be a online purchase and fingers crossed whatever i buy sounds good.

I hope I am not too late because we basically have the same AVR. I own Onkyo TX NR-777 and as of right now... Not only that, but I am running just a plain old school 2 channel with RF-7 iii's. 
The AVR I own has about 105watts at 2 channels driven, at 8 or 9feet away, and it powers my RF-7 iii's fine. 

I'd suggest tower speakers if you have room for it and also depending on your budget. 

PS. I plan on upgrading my AVR this year and grabbing an amplifier.