JEM Performance Audio...my experience!

1 hour ago, Pats3of4 said:

I don’t want to be critical- I like the age and history- JEM really should have touched up those old solder joints and checked (really a new contact strip) the connections with those screw down connections.  You can tell there wasn’t a screw driver inserted into those screws.  There is definite corrosion.  

I just feel like after a close inspection- it’s a job half done.

I don’t mean that in a critical way.  Just coming from someone who has rebuilt a few crossovers.

I wonder if the crossovers JEM rebuilds get thrown on a test bench after being repaired? Honestly my first thought when i saw the photos was the Sonicaps were probably the only good things that were on those boards I just don't know if i would trust those weathered components myself. If you want to keep the vintage weathered look nail these to your wall for display and put some new ones in the speakers just my opinion.

JEM is a new service / company hopefully over time maybe the scope / services will evolve / expand to include all new parts / crossovers so buyers will have more options.

typeaanew1_med-2.jpg

1 hour ago, ricktate said:

Are the caps available by them selves for us poor.???               Crites was around long before these were available did VOXX just get mad a Crites or did they just really want to help people out??? Pretty sure Crites backs his up with testing. 

We should be able to get just the caps if Klipsch wants to keep customers happy. Crites price is per pair kit 88.00 ....so Klipsch 80.00 EACH seems a bit high to me for 6 capacitors. Is there a site for JEM services?? 

KLIPSCH KLIPSCHORN, LaSCALA, and BELLE KLIPSCH

REBUILD KIT FOR THE KLIPSCH TYPE A CROSSOVERS:  $88.00

This is price for parts and labor for a pair of Crites rebuilt crossovers KLIPSCH TYPE A CROSSOVERS:  $106.00

Not trying take anything away from anyone but just comparing prices. 

JEM Performance Audio

$90 for the kit.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, billybob said:

Simply put, information now is Jim supplies the capacitors. Prefers you install.

Not a full service.

Will install upon request as a service for those unable.

Pulled from the JEM link:

"WE ARE NOW THE KLIPSCH FACTORY AUTHORIZED CROSSOVER NETWORK REPAIR CENTER."

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 11:27 PM, Sancho Panza said:

Will also take clearer pictures, not satisfied with that one. Showing markings on caps.

cosmetics dont make a difference , Crites also installs  Sonicaps  on old crossovers , there is plenty of moisture in Mississippi and dust in khorns --what's VIP is how the new caps sound ,  and I betcha they sound pretty good - 

forum members are now speaker housekeepers ,  reminds  me , of , my mother in law --:biggrin:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ricktate said:

Are the caps available by them selves for us poor.???               Crites was around long before these were available did VOXX just get mad a Crites or did they just really want to help people out??? Pretty sure Crites backs his up with testing. 

We should be able to get just the caps if Klipsch wants to keep customers happy. Crites price is per pair kit 88.00 ....so Klipsch 80.00 EACH seems a bit high to me for 6 capacitors. Is there a site for JEM services?? 

KLIPSCH KLIPSCHORN, LaSCALA, and BELLE KLIPSCH

REBUILD KIT FOR THE KLIPSCH TYPE A CROSSOVERS:  $88.00

This is price for parts and labor for a pair of Crites rebuilt crossovers KLIPSCH TYPE A CROSSOVERS:  $106.00

Not trying take anything away from anyone but just comparing prices. 

Yes, I purchased just the caps for my Heresys Is.  They include zip ties and mounting blocks.  It was $20 per speaker plus shipping. 

Okay, I have to respond to some of the comments on this thread.  Sancho Panza requested that I replace the caps in his AA networks that had been through a lot and were pretty rough.  I gave him a quote to replace the caps.  When received, the networks worked.  Sonic caps had been installed by a previous owner.  Normally, I don't replace caps the way those were done.  Since all the wires had been trimmed, I installed the new caps in same manner as the sonic caps with the exception of soldering all connections.  The sonic caps were installed with just the wires twisted together and some shrink tubing over the ends.  I re-installed the shrink tubing over the soldered ends.  It was tight so no reason to shrink the stuff anymore.  Sancho informed me he had a much better looking set and sent me photos.  Since the repaired networks worked and he had a better looking set, why start replacing parts in the ugly networks that worked fine?  The job wasn't "half done" as a comment suggested, Sancho paid for a cap replacement, which is all that was necessary.  Oh and by the way, all networks are tested before they are sent back to the customer.  Do you really think a service approved by Klipsch would be that careless and not test for proper operation?   

So how do I normally install caps you ask?  When I first started this service, I received a set of AA networks that had been serviced by the Klipsch factory.  This information came straight from the original owner customer.  The Networks were from 1976 and the caps were replaced by the factory in the mid '90s.  PIO caps were long gone so current new production caps were installed.  The caps were glued to the board, wires soldered to the cap leads.  Nothing fancy, no shrink tubing.  Simple to replace, just unsolder the wires, remove the old cap, install the new cap, solder the wires, done.  That's the way the factory did it.  I have had numerous customers ask me NOT to cut the cap wires anymore than necessary so they could re-install the PIO caps should they wish to sell their speakers 100% as-built.  They ask that I return the old caps.  So, in the interest of authenticity and the ability to retro-fit the original caps, I install new caps using the original wires and soldering those wires to the cap leads in a presentable manner.  That's my decision.  This may look crude as someone commented, but it works just fine and, well except for gluing the caps to the board, is factory authentic.  If a customer wants the caps glued down, I will.     

On pricing:  ricktate, the $106.00 from Crites is for an "A" network, not a "AA".  At least compare the same networks.  I am sure there is return shipping and insurance charges also.  Our pricing is fair and you are getting genuine Klipsch approved with JEM.  Yes, you can buy just the cap kit.  

As to not being a "full" repair center, as I have stated before we only use Klipsch approved replacement parts.  What is so hard to understand?  We can't use off the shelf parts in these networks and have authenticity.  This service is all about keeping the older Klipsch models functioning as PWK intended.  That requires factory approved parts.  If you don't like or agree with what I do or how I do these repairs, don't use the service.  But show some respect for what we are doing to preserve authenticity and proper operation of PWK's speakers.            

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I had a GREAT experience using JEM !

I Spoke with Jim via phone, (he's super nice & helpful) ordered the cap kit for my pair of Chorus 1's for 64.00$ I then had my local vintage stereo shop guy install em to prevent any potential shipping damage of the frail Chorus boards. (& he's an expert solderer, & has been in business 40+ years...

20210315_085812_resized_1.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 4JaxJags said:

I had a GREAT experience using JEM ! Spoke with Jim via phone, (super nice & helpful) ordered the cap kit for my pair of Chorus 1's for 64.00, had my local vintage stereo shop guy install em (expert solderer, in business 40+ years)

20210315_085812_resized_1.jpg

What caps were previously installed?

And the major question as always....how do they sound?

• Like 2

They were the factory original caps (& Jim sent em back w/o me asking)

I haven't heard em yet, but the caps were from 1989, & "due". My Chorus 1's are apart for a few more weeks b/c I am also doing braces above & below the 15" woofers & installing 7" flared port extension again for the 2nd time (these are my 2nd pair of Chorus 1's 😃

• Like 4