Why am I supposed to not like the RP-HUB1?

cruz-in

Hi Team, 

New to the forum and just purchased my wireless reference system speakers (full 5.1 set). 

I purchased the speakers, without the hub. As my wonderful old-school plasma TV does not have the latest HDMI, I could not use the newer hub. 

I tried the WiSA SoundSend (via its' optical input) and found it lacking in several areas. So I brought a refurbed RP-HUB1 and wow! Setup went well and it (so far) is performing flawlessly. No problem with my Amazon Fire Cube controlling it. 

Love that is basically a digital A/V Receiver with multiple inputs, remote switching, etc. Don't see anything else on the market that is near as nice a package. 

So why the bad press? Has everything been fixed with the last firmware update and now the RP-HUB1"s work great?  

Thanks for your time and thoughts. 

Edited by cruz-in

With the latest firmware, the HUB1 is stable. The downsides are that it only has 1 input that carries 4K, and that input only supports HDMI 2.0, not HDMI 2.0a, which is required to carry HDR content.

But because your plasma won't support 4K or HDR anyway, then no, there is no downside for you.

• 2 weeks later...

In my setup, a Samsung 2020 65" Frame TV, it would not produce sound from the ARC output, only from the HDMI input on the HUB1.  Video came through without HDR support but 4K only on port 1.  There is no support for Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos.  The one positive aspect is that it does allow updating the speaker software if your speakers support it and need it. The older HD RP series do need this done if they are not current.  I can't say whether the newer R series do.

The WISA SoundSend does support many features but requires HDMI eARC to optimally perform.  While it supports optical TosLink, this is not a good solution.  You are severely limited by your TV that does not support HDMI ARC at a minimum.  Then, an expensive solution would be the Axiim Q UHD Hub.  It would give you 6 full 4K inputs, an HDMI ARC output and expanded capabilities including optimized tone curves for Klipsch speakers 10 band equalizer (either global or on a per channel basis), test tones and much more.

Edited by barjohn
Added additional information

• 1 month later...

Hi Team, 

Thanks for the great replies. 

I first tried the SoundSend. Using the TosLink, I never could get it to function properly. 

After a few month of using the RP-HUB-1, we are very happy. In our old school system (Panasonic Plasma TV), watching mostly online content, it has worked great. Amazon Fire Cube controls it well, like the volume/mute showing up on the TV screen. For our old school TV, it is a nice match. 

Kilpsch was clearing out the refurbished RP-HUB1 for $49. We like it so much, I brought a spare. Certainly the best $49 I ever spent.

I had brought the RP Wireless speakers when Woot was clearing them out. They did need a software update. this may have contributed to the issues I had with the SoundSend.  

The problem with using TosLink with the SoundSend is that you lose control of volume because you don't have CEC available.  I have SoundSend, Axiim Q UHD and Hub-1.  Yesterday when running a test with the Axiim I discovered that lip sync is an issue with it when I tried it with two different streaming devices not being connected to its inputs but into the TVs inputs.  It has been a while since I tried the HUB 1 but I recall having issues with it.  In my experience, the SoundSend connected via HDMI 2.1 eARC provides the best experience.  However if you want Dolby Atmos, as of my last test and before the most recent app update, you need to insert an HDFury Arcana in the loop.  Next week I will do more testing.