Quartet Recommended Upgrades/Mods

The bass was so much improved that I am thinking of using only one woofer in my KLF20 rather than a pair as I now know that a single KLF20 ten inch woofer can be enough for me. Deeper extension than any other Klipsch I have had as well. Shows you what a good stiff box can do for you!

you dont need to "find a different model"... thats great if you like them as is & klipsch are good the way they were designed but definitely not the best they can be... thats like saying if you dont like a stock corvette you should find a different model instead of taking advantage of the huge supply of aftermarket performance improving parts for the car. 

anything mass produced by a company has bean counters that dont allow the best of the best parts in order to meet the companies profit goals. they dont even add bracing to their large boxy cabinets...  definitely room for improvement in many areas on most models.    

4 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

you dont need to "find a different model"... thats great if you like them as is & klipsch are good they way they were designed but definitely not the best they can be... thats like saying if you dont like a stock corvette you should find a different model instead of taking advantage of the huge supply of aftermarket performance improving parts for the car. 

Then it won't be a Klipsch product, just like it really won't be a Corvette.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

are you a member of some secret Klipsch society which avails to educate those who might want to modify a Klipsch product which they own that they are somehow unknowingly destroying forever a Klipsch loudspeaker? If you have no assistance to offer by way of information or help then leave the guy to it. How many warning do there need to be, is there a set number he can at least look forward to when the warnings stop?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, billybob said:

66 Stingray 4 speed, 427ci, 425hp,

stock...no mods needed.

for some people yes & definitely back in its day that was a big number... but today 425hp is common in many run of the mill cars, but for real performance that just wont cut it..  & regardless of a 66 427 vette's power, many vettes came with 350 engines with ~350 horse power & many will buy bolt on's to improve the performance/power or completely rebuild the engine or even swap for a bigger 454... shoot today crate engines are 500+cid with 500+ hp.  hence the term "upgrades."  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Marvel said:

so if i add TI tweets & upgrade capacitors in my klipsch forte/chorus/etc they are no longer klipsch??  or if i add some headers & a good exhaust system its no longer a corvette or camaro or challenger etc etc?  not following that "logic" at all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

for some people yes & definitely back in its day that was a big number... but today 425hp is common in many run of the mill cars, but for real performance that just wont cut it.  & regardless of a 66 427 vette's power, many vettes came with 350 engines with ~350 horse power & many will buy bolt on's to improve the performance/power or completely rebuild the engine or even swap for a bigger 454... shoot today crate engines are 500+cid with 500+ hp.  hence the term "upgrades."  

Was fast enough for me then and 

now. The driver means more to me then and now about the 1/4.

The value placed upon the 60s and 50s stock versions more desirable as collectors item than 

L88s, modded or not.

You know this of course...

• Klipsch Employees
19 hours ago, moray james said:

are you a member of some secret Klipsch society which avails to educate those who might want to modify a Klipsch product which they own that they are somehow unknowingly destroying forever a Klipsch loudspeaker? If you have no assistance to offer by way of information or help then leave the guy to it. How many warning do there need to be, is there a set number he can at least look forward to when the warnings stop?

You can do whatever you want to do to your klipsch speaker. The speaker was designed and produced with a certain spec in mind. Once you put in something that is not klipsch approved then it is no longer a klipsch speaker. I really don’t understand why this is so hard to comprehend  

• Thanks 2

Just now, billybob said:

Was fast enough for me then and 

now. The driver means more to me then and now about the 1/4.

The value placed upon the 60s and 50s stock versions more desirable as collectors item than 

L88s, modded or not.

You know this of course...

i agree 425hp is fast enough then & now & that all out speed doesnt matter to many people, just like upgrading or modding klipsch speakers doesnt matter to some & they are happy & content in stock form. 

doesnt change the fact that there are all kinds of places a car or speaker or anything can be improved from factory stock.  companies have to decide between performance & price point for what they produce. there is almost always room for improvement in audio gear & cars but to claim they are no longer what they are after you do some improvements is ridiculous... if i want to improve my 60's-70's corvettes brakes to stop better, then its no longer a corvette?  makes zero sense. 

i also agree that a 66 427 vette in original form is worth more than a raced out modded vette to a collector but when done right & built to a high level by a professional there is also value in that to the right buyer.  all depends on what you as the owner of the car/speaker wants.  i have some stock lower power cars in my collection & i love them that way, but i also have a 550+hp engine in another one with modern road race inspired suspension & brakes & its a lot funner to drive & is worth just as much if not more than the stockers.  the saying to each their own applies here & i dont knock either version.  ;)  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

i agree 425hp is fast enough then & now & that all out speed doesnt matter to many people, just like upgrading or modding klipsch speakers doesnt matter to some & they are happy & content in stock form. 

doesnt change the fact that there are all kinds of places a car or speaker or anything can be improved from factory stock.  companies have to decide between performance & price point for what they produce. there is almost always room for improvement in audio gear & cars but to claim they are no longer what they are after you do some improvements is ridiculous... if i want to improve my 60's-70's corvettes brakes to stop better, then its no longer a corvette?  makes zero sense. 

i also agree that a 66 427 vette in original form is worth more than a raced out modded vette to a collector but when done right & built to a high level by a professional there is also value in that to the right buyer.  all depends on what you as the owner of the car/speaker wants.  i have some stock lower power cars in my collection & i love them that way, but i also have a 550+hp engine in another one with modern road race inspired suspension & brakes & its a lot funner to drive & is worth just as much if not more than the stockers.  the saying to each their own applies here & i dont knock either version.  ;)  

Brake pads aside, lol...I see no point in using this analogy farther.

Have lived, sleeped, dreamed and breathed cars as a kid through my brother's eyes.

A good analogy though. 

As for speakers, I should realize by now that, people are going to do what they are going to do.

Don't know enough to really lionize about this or that mod but, tend to believe members opinion.

Just happy we have choice now, and then.

To each his own,  I like Marty Robbins take.

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

You can do whatever you want to do to your klipsch speaker. The speaker was designed and produced with a certain spec in mind. Once you put in something that is not klipsch approved then it is no longer a klipsch speaker. I really don’t understand why this is so hard to comprehend  

You are 100% correct. my comment was made because the guy who was looking to play with his speakers was being told over and over that he would no longer have a stock Klipsch loudspeaker which ought to be obvious right from the get go as you said. A one time reminder in a thread ought to be all that is necessary for a first time modifier given many are also concerned with resale value in which case they should only make changes which are reversible and then they can reverse the speaker back to stock to sell the loudspeakers and part out the upgrade parts or keep them to use in another project. Everybody wins everyone is happy new owners get to hear stock Klipsch which I think is great and very much worth while for all concerned. I know I would rather purchase stock used Klipsch and do my own work as I see so many botched jobs and I don't want to spend my time and money fixing someone else's ideas of what needs to be done and or shoddy workmanship.

Some guy once said, "Everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial."

The cabinets are not super rigid for a reason. There is a Dope from Hope on that. I will see if I can find it.

The things I never messed with are the cabinets, ports, woofers, and low pass elements in the filter. This is all mathematically aligned and I can barely balance a checkbook.

Even though it's the mods section, I would be careful to suggest mods that might have someone putting a contract out on you.

• Haha 1