Western Electric 300B Tubes are now available

Jim Gregory

I just don't buy it. You just can't crank up some machinery original or not and claim they can match quality of original 300B. Too much knowledge not passed down. It's like you can make a recipe but  you can't teach technique. I'd rather save for an OG 300B.

The monoblocks and preamp are made by Canary Audio for them.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 9:01 PM, seti said:

I just don't buy it. You just can't crank up some machinery original or not and claim they can match quality of original 300B. Too much knowledge not passed down. It's like you can make a recipe but  you can't teach technique. I'd rather save for an OG 300B.

The monoblocks and preamp are made by Canary Audio for them.

I have no doubt that vacuum tubes today can be made vastly better than what the OEMs could provide.  Vacuum systems, glass technology, materials supply chain are all better.  And there still is, today, a large presence in the high power, vacuum tube industry (radar and communications).  There are plenty of highly skilled technologist in the vacuum tube industry.

Look up, Travelling wave tubes, cross-field amplifiers, Klystrons, Magnetrons.  

But, is there a business case for such an investment in audio grade vacuum tubes?  I would propose no, there is none, too costly and the returns are not there.

14 hours ago, John Warren said:

I have no doubt that vacuum tubes today can be made vastly better than what the OEMs could provide.  Vacuum systems, glass technology, materials supply chain are all better.  And there still is, today, a large presence in the high power, vacuum tube industry (radar and communications).  There are plenty of highly skilled technologist in the vacuum tube industry.

Look up, Travelling wave tubes, cross-field amplifiers, Klystrons, Magnetrons.  

But, is there a business case for such an investment in audio grade vacuum tubes?  I would propose no, there is none, too costly and the returns are not there.

I think more of the you can make something from a recipe but technique does not translate as well. I keep in mind the old GZ34 rectifiers. They make modern versions but they pale in comparison to originals. I don't even bother anymore I just use up my stock of amperex gz34s.

Emission Labs and Elrog are examples of how costly new production tubes can be but they also do new tube designs. I have a pair of EML mesh 45s and they are wonderful. I'd like to try some of the Elrogs.

Even if it is illogical on some levels I'm glad there are people out there passionate enough to build modern tubes. Maybe after enough work they will get the techniques down.

• Like 1