Contemplating Dolby Atmos 7.2.4

Zen Traveler

I'm sure that will work just fine. So you've got vaulted ceilings, right? RB-5IIs high on the front wall for Atmos front heights, and then I'd designate whatever speakers you mount under the shelf above your MLP as rear Atmos heights. I think middle Atmos only comes into play if you have a x.x.6 setup, but your receiver will clear that designation up.

I'm not familiar with the RS-3's personally, but if you already have them, then use them... 🙂

• Like 2

20 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

I'm not familiar with the RS-3's personally, but if you already have them, then use them..

Here are the RS-3s: RS-3 Surround Speaker | Klipsch

RS-3

I would space them about 3 to 4 ft apart with the inner horns if both pointing down to the sweet spot of the MLP. Of course this is just an idea and am open to other suggestions from folks. :) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hobbyinn said:

If you do not already have the RS-3s, I would suggest going with direct fire.  Also, I think 3-4 feet apart is way to close.  The RB-5s are fine up front.

11 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

.It seems I  recently saw a post saying something different and I haven't researched recently. 

Hmm...This is the post I'm referring to:

On 3/4/2021 at 5:59 PM, hobbyinn said:

I found this in the Dolby Atmos Installation Guide and find it helpful:

Overhead speaker characteristics:

Dolby Atmos audio is mixed using discrete, full-range audio objects that may move around anywhere in three-dimensional space. With this in mind, overhead speakers should complement the frequency response, output, and power-handling capabilities of the listener-level speakers. Choose overhead speakers that are timbre matched as closely as possible to the primary listener-level speakers. Overhead speakers with a wide dispersion pattern are desirable for use in a Dolby Atmos system. This will ensure the closest replication of the cinematic environment, where overhead speakers are placed high above the listeners.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 10:05 AM, Zen Traveler said:

Hmm...This is the post I'm referring to:

There is a difference between monopolar wide dispersion speakers and wide dispersion bipolar speakers, such as the RS-3.  You have them and they may work well in your situation.  Atmos is quite flexible regarding setup.  I used bipolars for the side speakers for quite awhile.  When I changed to monopolar, the difference was dramatic...for the better.     

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hobbyinn said:

I used bipolars for the side speakers for quite awhile. 

When I changed to monopolar, the difference was dramatic...for the better.     

I've heard that.  It seems like whoever is in charge of determining specs for surround sound systems has now transitioned away from the bi-poles.  I wonder what changed?

I have the strong RS-62's for side surrounds in a 5.4 setup and I have some RP-600M's that could be pressed into side surround duty if need be, but jeez they sound so good I would hate to pull them from the Mancave TV 2.1 system.  I really love the 600M's.

1140702457_RP-600Mlivingroomseascene_400.thumb.jpg.a098e471533630c61e1e9e9c62275f67.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/9/2021 at 6:36 PM, Zen Traveler said:

I have the 9.2 Klipsch Library Home Theater listed below and thinkin' about moving to 7.2.4 sometime this year.

I like the attention to detail in your setup.  👍

I'm not sure how you would mount an RS-3 for an Atmos speaker but I like your willingness to try a speaker setup that is out-of-the-box thinking. 

When I try that it doesn't always work out so good, like my bright idea to bi-amp using the RF-83's bottom section and the HF section from the RP-600M.  Bzzzt!

Big time fail. The bi-amped Frankenspeakers sounded worse together than either pair did by themselves.

723126217_RP-600Mbi-amprightsideview.thumb.JPG.a7ae410117694c96ee0a4dbed5c93e32.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hobbyinn said:

I used bipolars for the side speakers for quite awhile.  When I changed to monopolar, the difference was dramatic...for the better.     

I agree and use direct firing speakers in that location along with the same in the rear.

1 hour ago, hobbyinn said:

There is a difference between monopolar wide dispersion speakers and wide dispersion bipolar speakers, such as the RS-3. 

I did not realize that and will do some research.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I've heard that.  It seems like whoever is in charge of determining specs for surround sound systems has now transitioned away from the bi-poles.  I wonder what changed?

I actually think it started changing when Dolby Digital was introduced. The WDST speakers were invented for the Dolby Pro Logic era where the surround was matrixed. The WDST speakers still worked well for multiple seating in a 5.1 environment and why they are still popular today. Fwiw, we have a focused (in the middle) MLP with side surrounds directly to the sides and the rears about 9 ft back. Our last 3 AVRs really did a nice job converting side surround material in 5.1 to a 7.1 format....With the Denon AVR-4311ci we've been running "9.2" and love it.

45 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I like the attention to detail in your setup.  👍

Thank you! 

I'm not sure how you would mount an RS-3 for an Atmos speaker but I like your willingness to try a speaker setup that is out-of-the-box thinking. 

I still am going to do more research but may weigh against it. I was planning on securing them under that board using the keyhole along with something that would keep them from falling...Still considering ideas and why I started the thread. :) 

When I try that it doesn't always work out so good, like my bright idea to bi-amp using the RF-83's bottom section and the HF section from the RP-600M.  Bzzzt!

😬 Whoa! When I first got in the hobby back in the late 90s I was only into movies and then I bought my first concert video and never listened to two channel again. I have an embarrassing collection of multichannel music now that is my favorite genre. Anyway, my first couple of AVRs i was able to hook up 2 sets of side surrounds, one for movies and the other for music so I came up with this: post-4218-13819266726854_thumb.jpg RF-3 Side Surrounds for SACDs/DVD-As and RS-7s for Movies. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Whoa! When I first got in the hobby back in the late 90s I was only into movies and then I bought my first concert video and never listened to two channel again. I have an embarrassing collection of multichannel music now that is my favorite genre. Anyway, my first couple of AVRs i was able to hook up 2 sets of side surrounds, one for movies and the other for music so I came up with this: post-4218-13819266726854_thumb.jpg RF-3 Side Surrounds for

What kind of crazy person would but side surrounds on top of their speakers?!?  😄

FYI this was my failed attempt at a poor man's Atmos when I set the RS-62's on their back and pointed them up.  Fail!  lol

225702814_VizioPQ65KlipschRF-83.thumb.jpg.93f7512741a409abfba5f8b9864513ea.jpg

EditNow that I think about it, I think I put the RS-62's on top of the RF-83's (see pic ^^^) and configured the 62's as Front Heights.  I think this one actually worked pretty well but it ruined imaging and gave me a pretty wide sound stage.  Man, was it ugly, even for me! 

16 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

What kind of crazy person would but side surrounds on top of their speakers?!

It actually worked as designed. 😎 Afterward and given what I reported above went RB-75s Surround & Rears and if I find another local and a good price will replace my RB-5II Heights. :)

• Like 1

I have 2 questions for you Atmos Gurus! :) 

1) If I want to spend more money and go 7.2.4 I would need an upgraded AVR to cover the extra 2 channels and figure out what speakers to put on that board above the MLP--Is it going to be worth it compared to keeping present layout with the RB-5s above the Front Main RF-7s used as front heights and keep the rears with no new speakers (7.2.2) and a 9 channel Atmos AVR?

2) If I go with the 7.2.4 configuration which would be the best speakers to attach to that board above the MLP?

Fwiw, it's a relatively small room (approx 2,000 cu ft) but has high ceilings, irregular shape, and has books for natural room conditioning. 

22 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

2) If I go with the 7.2.4 configuration which would be the best speakers to attach to that board above the MLP?

I'm still waiting for answers to the first question but does anyone have a recommendation to this question? I'm not sure if I should use some sort of in ceiling speaker or if I could use a traditional speaker instead. Fwiw, I'm still open to try the RS-3s but feel a more direct speaker would be better--Dunno. 

I'm not going to lie to you, this is quite difficult to answer, because I went with a very structured Dolby Atmos layout from the get go (in-Ceiling speakers in the Dolby Atmos recommended overhead position), so I haven't experimented with different layouts or speaker types. But what I do feel is that this whole Dolby Atmos thing is pretty flexible and that there are many ways to achieve a pleasing result. So with that out the way...

On 3/17/2021 at 9:21 PM, Zen Traveler said:

1) If I want to spend more money and go 7.2.4 I would need an upgraded AVR to cover the extra 2 channels and figure out what speakers to put on that board above the MLP--Is it going to be worth it compared to keeping present layout with the RB-5s above the Front Main RF-7s used as front heights and keep the rears with no new speakers (7.2.2) and a 9 channel Atmos AVR?

If you really want to upgrade your AVR right now and have already found the perfect model you want, then by all means, however, there's no reason you can't take this in baby steps, and test the waters as you go... thereby reducing your risk.

Since you already have the RS-3's, I would figure out a way to temporarily mount them under the overhead shelf and test those in a 7.2.2 configuration. Just don't drop a speaker on your wife's head! 🙂  Then borrow or re-appropriate a regular direct radiating pair of bookshelf speakers to compare to the RS-3's to see whether direct radiating speakers are better. Once you've figured that out, compare the Atmos speakers hanging from your shelf overhead to the RB-5IIs set as Dolby Atmos front heights - all this is still with a 7.2.2 configuration.

My gut feel is that you're going to prefer the Atmos heights mounted under the overhead shelf, and if that's the case, you either stick with the RS-3's if they worked well, or find a Klipsch bookshelf speaker that has the lowest possible box depth (to keep the front baffles as far above your head as possible). For example, the RP-600M's are awesome bookshelves, but their boxes are likely too deep to be mounted above your head below that shelf, and would likely be an eyesore.

Then once you're happy with that set up, you can wait until the perfect time to upgrade your AVR and add your RB-5IIs back into the mix for a 7.2.4 configuration with over head heights and front heights for Dolby Atmos.

On 3/17/2021 at 9:21 PM, Zen Traveler said:

Again, you only need to worry about this if you feel the RS-3's aren't doing you justice above your head, in which case I would look for the best direct radiating bookshelf speakers that have a relatively shallow box depth to keep the front baffles higher above your head...

12 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I'm still waiting for answers to the first question but does anyone have a recommendation to this question? I'm not sure if I should use some sort of in ceiling speaker or if I could use a traditional speaker instead. Fwiw, I'm still open to try the RS-3s but feel a more direct speaker would be better--Dunno. 

At the time I was deciding on my PRO-180RPC IN-CEILING speakers, Klipsch tech support assured me these speakers are designed for open baffle and don't need a box... so technically you could mount these into your shelf if you're willing to cut holes in your shelf and shelf is wide enough, but if it were me, I wouldn't want these speakers exposed to the elements above the shelf, so you could consider building a box around them on top of the shelf. But I personally think it might just be easier to go with your RS-3's or a pair of bookshelf speakers, and call it a day...

Does that help your conundrum at all? 😉

I look forward to hearing the outcomes of your tests... 

Brendon

• Like 1

• 6 months later...