Heresy II: You were right. Placement is key but still need woofer suggestions

Extremely impressed with the bass now that they are innnnnn the corners. Wow what a difference. Tilted them, even more. Problem is I am using plastic DVD cases to tilt them. Not sure if that makes a difference.

So for anyone who doesnt know, I bought them at a decent price, 160 Canadian. Found out they had the wrong tweeters in them (4 ohm Pyle junk) and a torn woofer which is black for some reason. Not the purplish greyish kevlar like the good woofer is. Still both are stamped k-24-k. Replaced with B&C De-120's for tweets

ANYWAY, I have a couple questions:

I am going to replace the woofers, people have suggested heresy 3 upgrades or looking for another k-24. I want to stay 8-ohms as my amp want them there and I do turn on the Tangent-500 with the H2's. Amp specifically wants 2 pairs of 8-ohm speakers together in the case of A+B (Cambridge AXR-100)

I've heard about the Delta Pro 12ALFA or ProA (Not sure which would be better. Have also heard about this Dayton 310-8, which is half the price. Very interesting to me because I have a massive project list of music related things and don't have a woman to control my spending lol. 

I am interested in keeping the price low, and the sensitivity rather high in the speaker to get even more out of it. The DE-120 tweets and the squawker are still slightly hotter. 

Anyone have any suggestions to get as much bass out of them as I can (have thought about the port idea but am currently happy but maybe could be a future idea) 

Want to match the stock crossover the way it is i guess to save money. Almost bought L-pads to tune the tweeter and squawker down or change cap values. Not educated enough on that yet. Have crites H2 caps. 

Any suggestion appreciated from speaker choice with stock network to speaker choice with network modification because I feel the tuning is slightly hot in tweet and mid. Also the H2's came with a piece of foam wrapped around the top of the woofer to seperate the mid tweet chamber I assume. I had to use 2 egg shaped foam pads to reproduce that as the factory foam has disintegrated. Stuffed a bit of fiberglass in the bottom chamber only to experiment with the bass. Might take it out now that I have them properly placed to see if that is better too. 

What speakers have you heard of that improved the bass? I would like a bit more slam, I feel the k-24 is a bit too "middy" for my liking and maybe having a sub that only extends to a certain freq. would help? (Could be the fiberglass too)

I have old bowling alley style wood floors in my listening room, wondering if a piece of carpet underneath the H2's would benefit in anyway. 

P.S. Anyone know of how the Tangent 500's should be placed? I kind of still like them and confused of what to do with them. (Build better boxes one day maybe) and no not interested in taking the woofs out of the tangents and putting them in the H2's. (Unless I sell the t-500's i guess haha)

THANKS!

• Like 2

The more i think about it the more it makes sense to take a woofer from the tangents, sell them and use the money for hopefully 2 subs and place the h2s on top of them or next to them. 

Amp does hve a subout option but i believe it has a rediculous rolloff of 200hz. Very upset as i just bought the damn thing.

Thoughts?

Edited by ummagumma-89
  • Like 1

. Anyone know of how the Tangent 500's should be placed? I kind of still like them and confused of what to do with them. (Build better boxes one day maybe) and no not interested in taking the woofs out of the tangents and putting them in the H2's. (Unless I sell the t-500's i guess haha)

Flat against the wall, or in the corners. The T-400-500s think 

were made with price, weight,

and design in mind, making them front firing. This in keeping with military housing and the like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

The T-400-500s think 

were made with price, weight, and design in mind, making them front firing. This in keeping with military housing and the like.

They were made to sell at base exchanges... With birch cabinets, they would be great speakers.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marvel said:

They were made to sell at base exchanges... With birch cabinets, they would be great speakers.

aren't these built like  the Forte -Heresy ---MDF cabs -----in plain black

I just opened up the tangents and put one of the k-24-k's in the H2 that had a torn woof. The non torn H2 woofer has some sort of kevlar on it. It is night and day better sounding then the black tangent 500 woofer. Can't believe it. Keep in mind I have experimented with stuffing a bit of the woofer chamber only and wrapped eggshell foam around top of woofer area on both of them. Original foam disintegrated when we took them out to change crossovers. 

Next step take insulation out of both, put both tangent woofers in the H2's and see.

Thanks for the placement info on the T-500's. I bought them for 140 Canadian. Im considering to attempt to get the cab braced and possibly insulated. They have very little bass no matter where i put them. The H2's are beating them angled in the corner. If I can't get more from the Tangents, im considering selling them and focusing on the H2's. 

Thanks for the replies guys, this has been a fun little project. Will report any findings. Totally understand most of you have been on this forum for years. I am 32 in 2 days, my dad raised me with cornwall II's and have been a klipsch fan as long as I can remember. Decided to work on this setup recently and am gaining knoledge everyday. 

*I have been using this technics EQ and cranking the 60 db fader just to compare them FYI. EQ only goes down to 60....not sure if the H2 really could do 50 without a port. Eitherway, this is cool

Edited by ummagumma-89
  • Like 1

Are the Heresy on the floor for measurement.

K24K marking on the woofer.

Welcome again.

Had 500 with bass but would like to try the 400 w/ ports. There is some search here on Tangent. Owned a pair of 2 way

T3000 similar to kg 3.5.

with decent bass.

Thanks!

heresys on floor in corner with dvds propping them up. All I have at the moment. Man opening up those tangents was hard to see. Crappy looking glue in the seams and big strings of glue hanging in the corners. Very poor quality of wood. 2 loose pieces of foam that I assume should be wrapped into a U shape and meet in the bottom of the cab. Heresy 2 crossover and components. Still confused why the H2 woofer with that weird colour sounds better.....going to swap both tangents woofers into the H2s so they match and see eventually. 

Going to attempt to brace the tangents and decide if I am going to keep them or not. Any Idea on the thickness of brace I should buy? 

Glue the braces only? Im convinced it will benefit the tangents. Possibly material too. 

Not much information or mods to look into regarding the tangents.

Cabs are in good shape

Edited by ummagumma-89
  • Like 1

Also worth mentioning one of the H2's I had placed a bit of dampening in the "upper chamber". (From what I have read and seen, they came factory with foam wrapped U shape separating the woofer from the tweeters) I did the same with egg foam and placed thin egg crate foam material on roof, sides untill squawker met the U shape. bottom "chamber" has fiberglass insulation tucked loosely to walls with no thin egg foam on walls. Just for the heck of it.

Placed a small amount of fiber glass in upper chamber corners just to see what it would do. Tweeters were boring compared to the other without any fiberglass in the chamber. I think its interesting to try this chamber thing out. Will continue to tinker with it. Tried to use just the egg foam above the woofer and between the mid with zero fiberglass and did not personally think it sounded any better. My conclusion is the right amount is going to be key for this chamber method

• Like 1

Not sure about the differences in the K-24 k woofers, should be the same. I thought they were just treated paper like the K-33E in the Khorn/LS and Belle.

Here is a pic of one of my HII woofers, along with a close up.

btw, my HIIs sound great!

20210311_174830.jpg

20210311_174726.jpg

• Like 1