LA SCALA "garage made"

• Klipsch Employees

I did not check, but the woofer / compression slot looks too big. With it going all the way out to the wedg/guide, the edge of the woofer basket will have to seal that point. I am not sure it will.  I noticed this in the drawing. Without that slot the right size, you will not get the right compression ratio and thus not the right output. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I definitely agree with the suggestion of bracing.

The brace itself does not need to be massive, but make sure it is well attached. 

Braces do make a difference.  After a few weeks of enjoying the La Scalas I refurbished for the local high school’s band practice room, the director called to report a problem.    Certain recordings, especially at loud volume, didn’t sound right. At first, I questioned the source material and explained the phenomenon of garbage in and garbage out.  I explained that La Scalas are unforgiving of poor recordings.

After a few more weeks he called again.  A suspected sidewall resonance was the culprit.  I confirmed this by wedging short pieces of 3/4” dowel in the area shown in red on your doctored photo.  That satisfied the band director.  During the next summer break I installed the braces visible in the gag photo.  Honestly, the temporary dowels worked as well as the more substantial braces.  As Carl @CECAA850 says, now is the time to brace the sidewalls.

post-6832-0-93440000-1423926401_thumb.jpg

post-6832-0-60120000-1423623361_thumb.jpg

131B45A7-2469-40CD-8017-A3221DEBCA66.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Trey Cannon said:

I did not check, but the woofer / compression slot looks too big. With it going all the way out to the wedg/guide, the edge of the woofer basket will have to seal that point. I am not sure it will.  I noticed this in the drawing. Without that slot the right size, you will not get the right compression ratio and thus not the right output. 

Good catch Trey (I'd expect nothing less! LOL).  It does look large.

• Like 1

The hardest thing was cutting the corner of the front pannels.
With simple table saw of my brother it is difficult cut 30° angle. 
For that reason i have to finish manually with sander.
Harder work but the result was very satisfactory.
20210203_214123.jpg.89996dd23d829e1709b89849ee8743ad.jpg
How about a router bit?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The plans I have put the slot at 3" x 13" which the 15" driver covers just barely.

These plans are in cm and 77 cm x 335 cm coverts to a slight increase in the slot size (335 converts to 13.189"), which may or may not be an issue. Good time to double check is right now. If you have the woofer, set it in there and check to see if it seals the opening entirely.

I have also seen some older LS with much smaller slots. 

I hope this isn't an issue. I've scrapped a few (hundred?) boards in my day.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 7:02 AM, Jazzpassions said:

If all it's ok .... glue!!!

20210310_190823.jpg

--listen to @CECAA850  now is the better time to put braces between the side walls of the dog house and the outer panels  to prevent the vibrations  , right in the center and  you can make these as discrete as possible  at this stage , plus they will stiffen the cab

• Like 1

IMO, the braces do NOT need to be in the exact centers of the sidewall panels.  Some here have suggested that it is preferred to deliberately put them off center to shift the remaining higher frequency resonances to two different frequencies.  My personal observation was that the quick solution of dowels wedged not in the centers of the panels worked as well as the more substantial braces.

It’s looking good.  You did I good job of finishing the wedge that is the peak of the doghouse roof.  Did you get those plans from the volvotreter.de site?

• Like 1

There are more discussions about respect the measures at mm  on diy speaker and .... some people (in this case) add braces or other mods.

But braces modify the measure that we respect at mm... or not?

In this case are very usefull and cheaper solution. The alternative is a lateral panel thickness.

Anyway for me little difference do not change the project ...😁

Edited by Jazzpassions
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MookieStl said:

The plans I have put the slot at 3" x 13" which the 15" driver covers just barely.

These plans are in cm and 77 cm x 335 cm coverts to a slight increase in the slot size (335 converts to 13.189"), which may or may not be an issue. Good time to double check is right now. If you have the woofer, set it in there and check to see if it seals the opening entirely.

I have also seen some older LS with much smaller slots. 

I hope this isn't an issue. I've scrapped a few (hundred?) boards in my day.

The attached pdf has LS dimensions culled from multiple La Scala builds. It was done by a member/former member of the forums, Jim Easley. The attached txt file is build instructions from DJK (Dennis Kleitsch). The slot on these go all the way to the points on the ramp, too.

LaScala.pdf build_instructions_djk.txt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1