LA SCALA "garage made"

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

The attached pdf has LS dimensions culled from multiple La Scala builds. It was done by a member/former member of the forums, Jim Easley. The attached txt file is build instructions from DJK (Dennis Kleitsch). The slot on these go all the way to the points on the ramp, too.

LaScala.pdf 309.79 kB · 3 downloads build_instructions_djk.txt 2.86 kB · 5 downloads

I didn't question the slot in relation to the "points on the ramp", the ramp is on the opposite side of my concern. Your drawing clearly show a 13" tall  x 3" wide slot that needs to be covered entirely by the 15" woofer inside dimension (13.77" diameter for the Kappa C) on the inside of the doghouse. His converted dimension into mm is not correct which adds over 1/8" to the length. I have put kappa C in a couple times and they barely cover the 13" slot (when you factor in the width of the slot which his is also is over 3")  He is long past the point I thought he was, so my hope of trial fit to adjust if needed is moot. I hope it works out just fine. It should. He is doing great.

• Like 1

MookieStl,

I understand that. I also noticed a lot that I thought was problematic. I just thought it could help others who wanted to build them or check the dimensions. I might post a separate thread for those who forge ahead and build their own.

btw, the pdf is a 24x36 in. sheet. It should print tiled on 4 11x17 pages with only slight scaling.

Might also include drawings of the Peavey FH-1, as it is really an easier build and doesn't suffer with the parallel walls on each side.

• Like 2

You should contact Andy he has built many of these.. I also dont agree with bracing since when i put screws and veneer on the side of mine you cant budge the side panels at all. Before i did that i could flex them easily. You might be to far along to contact Andy now. I cant believe he didn't chime in here and give you some tips. He can probably build LaScalas with out plans at all...lol.

That slot looks to big to me and you dont have to worry about the woofer hitting the panel. I made a plexiglass cover for my K Horns to show someone that the woofer hardly moves. Even at pretty loud volumes it was moving maybe 1/8 of an inch...lol  In fact the plexiglass Khorn in hope has little ruler mounted on it just to show that very thing. 

18 minutes ago, Marvel said:

My old LS has the splitter that looks like it was made from a ripped 2x2, cut at 45 degree angle and put together.

Making the splitters out of solid pieces of wood seems like a much better idea than using thin sheets of wood.  The splitters meet the full output of the woofers, so they should be completely inflexible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...