Luxman sq-n150 vs Luxman L-590axII

https://www.lexicommultimedia.nl/product/luxman-neo-classico-ii-sq-n150-buizenversterker/ 

I have looked at this one myself. It comes with EL84 tubes and therefore, it can be compared with my Leben CS300.

I love the design, it is Luxman, of course... One of plusses is that it comes with an integrated phonostage both for MC and MM cartridges.

As it is only 10 Watt, you'll need highly efficient speakers (Klipsch Heritage is perfect for them!).

Comparing this tube amp with the Luxman's top of the line solid state integrated amp is like comparing apples with pears.

Both have their merits, and owning either of them will make you a happy fellow!

If you listen often to powerful, complex rock or symphonic classical music, go for the solid state amp.

If you listen often to subtle, acoustic instrumental or vocal music, go for the tube amp.

I can’t comment on either piece but, that’s a nice problem you have! I own a Lux R-117 and it is now in the same house as my Heresy, but not connected up yet, can’t wait ... as I’m sure you too are keen to get your setup once purchased. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I actually tested both of these very same amps with my CW4s. They both sounded great. The SQ did great with jazz, bossa nova and mostly everything else. I did find the bass lacking for my taste. 
The 590 sounded great with pretty much everything and the bass was definitely there :)

I ended up with a primaluna evo300 integrated for the CW4s. I just wanted “tube” sound and ability to swap out tubes. 
Im definitely buying a 590 when I redo my home and back yard. Love that the 590 will be able to run 2 sets of speakers :)

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, habinger808 said:

I actually tested both of these very same amps with my CW4s. They both sounded great. The SQ did great with jazz, bossa nova and mostly everything else. I did find the bass lacking for my taste. 
The 590 sounded great with pretty much everything and the bass was definitely there :)

I ended up with a primaluna evo300 integrated for the CW4s. I just wanted “tube” sound and ability to swap out tubes. 
Im definitely buying a 590 when I redo my home and back yard. Love that the 590 will be able to run 2 sets of speakers :)

Just for my reference :

- you clearly prefered the 590 since better bass and;

- the EVO300 was a clear step up from the Luxman SQ? 

- the 590 was another step (up) from the EVO 300?

Pls confirm, this helps!

Fasthen65,

Yes, the evo300 sounded better than the sq150 for sure especially in the low end. The bonus being the evo300 can have various tubes swapped out to get the sound we want. Can’t do that with the sq150.

For myself and family, the evo300 sounds great :) that’s the most important thing as I want my 5 and 7 lye old to appreciate all types of music.

The 590 gave the best overall sound (low to highs) without doing anything! Basically plug and play. I hope this helps out.

I listened to the n150 driving a pair of Forte III and they sounded amazing.   I was with a co worker who is not an audio guy and he was blown away .   Also could not believe we were listening to a 10w amp , with the right speaker that is an incredible sounding amp.

• Thanks 1