Rest In Peace-Kirby Smith

dtel's wife

• Moderators

It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of long time Klipsch fan and forum member Kirby Smith. Many of you had the opportunity to meet him personally at past Pilgrimage events.

Kirby passed away Friday 3/5/21 after a skiing accident at Big Sky in Montana. Kirby was 60 years old. Kirby died from blunt force trauma suffered during the accident. He was wearing a helmet.

His family has requested that in lieu of flowers donations be made to the Klipsch Museum of Audio History. We are honored that his family has chosen our organization to receive these proceeds. These donations will be directed to our building fund per discussions with his family.

I will attempt to post details on his memorial service later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

I learned about this yesterday and I'm saddened by the loss.  Kirby was a great guy and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to spend time with him at the pilgrimage and back in September when we did SWAG.  I spoke with him a couple months ago and we were looking forward to getting together this year.  RIP Kirby, you will be missed by many.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Interesting story from his sister:

Sitting in Kirby’s pandemic office and remembering all that he was. Just want to give a little insight. When the pandemic hit he moved from a highrise in downtown Dallas to his garage. His obsession with Klipsch speakers started in high school , and upon graduation from college they wanted to hire him. Kirby didn’t want to move to Hope, but that didn’t stop his love. When he wanted to begin teaching his boys about money he did it through the buying and selling of speakers. He has been all over the country and sent everyone he knows scouting for speakers. Stephanie finally put her foot down and moved him to the garage, with only a few left in the house. He was always trying to gift everyone with a set of Klipsch speakers. So the man cave began as he continued to teach his boys about music and finances. During this last year he conducted business all over the US from this space always making time to jam for awhile in between. I thought it was perfect for Stephanie to suggest donations to the Klipsch Museum. This garage tells a lot about many things that brought him joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I was shocked and saddened to hear this news.  Kirby was truly a great guy, and I really enjoyed getting to know him at the audio gathering in September. We were the same age, and we had a lot in common. He was local to my area, and we had talked of plans to get together this Spring and spend some time boating on Lake Grapevine.  Condolences and prayers go out to his family in this time of sorrow.  RIP Kirby Smith.

• Like 2

I am very sorry to hear this.  Kirby was a gracious and generous man.  @Davis and I spent time with him in Dallas in September 2019 when we attended the Clapton Crossroads Festival.  He took us to his home where we listened to his huge EV speakers, gave us a tour around one of the nicer areas of Dallas, and then we sat down for a great Mexican dinner and multiple margaritas at his favorite Mexican restaurant.  I will miss him.

• Like 1

This makes me sad.  At a pilgrimage 2 or 3 years ago Kirby, a fellow named Pat and myself were early risers on Saturday morning.  The three of us sat at a table and talked for a good 30 minutes before anyone else was up a stirring about.  He was a very nice fellow. RIP.

• Like 2

I will miss seeing you Kirby. I always enjoyed the time spent with him. RIP. On the  philosophical side of things here 60 is too early but he went doing something he loved and I imagine it was pretty quick. Watched my Mom die of alzheimer's and it was prolonged and ugly. I know what I would choose.

• Like 5