Velodyne ULD-15 Demise....

Limberpine

2 hours ago, Limberpine said:

Okay, so you just put a plate amp in the box and bypassed the servo to which you are happy with the sound with the original woofer? 

Yes, my sub already had the original amp mounted on the back so I was able to pull the old amp and just mount the new one right in its place-- I think it actually sounded better than before but I bought the sub used so who knows how good the amp was actually running before it went out completely. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I took some advice from another person that fixed their velodyne and I used some plumbers putty to reseal the woofer to the box in hopes of stopping any air leaks. It didn't get rid of ALL the popping noises, but if did get rid of most of them to where its very intermittent with regards to the popping. So, I may try to tighten it down some more or maybe even run some new beads of wood glue across the seams of the box on the interior to see if that helps too. So, yeah! Not dead yet! Which is great! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well the mechanical hum of the servo controller has gotten worse and the popping is becoming more frequent again....... 

I'm going to start considering other options. One question I have, is a horn loaded servo controlled sub a thing? I really like the tightness of the Velodyne servo controlled bass.

Or if I considered the La Scala mod for the ported stand would that be a good replacement for a sub, or will that just still be lacking? There are some songs where I really enjoy that bass hit, like I'm at a conference and also other songs where I like hearing that down low growl in vocals that comes from artist like Captian Beefheart and Guy Clark. 

Thanks for any help or suggestions! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Limberpine said:

I have reached out to them, but its probably cost prohibitive because I would have to ship the service controller and the sub box to them cross country.

Dang, figured wrong. Guess it is not just a replacement servo to diy.

On another note then, if you do or don't do a mod to LS, see the brand at times for very reasonable on local craigslist.

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Can you get too the servo without having to dismantle alot.

Curious to see this often talked about servo.

The servo controller box as well as the subwoofer box are very easy to open and take a peak inside.

• Like 1

Well, it may not hurt to ask again if you can diy. T

5 minutes ago, Limberpine said:

The servo controller box as well as the subwoofer box are very easy to open and take a peak inside.

here maybe a YouTube video on the subject for all I know.

A little confusing as to why to ship entire sub.

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

Well, it may not hurt to ask again if you can diy. T

here maybe a YouTube video on the subject for all I know.

A little confusing as to why to ship entire sub.

Its my understanding with this model that they have to run together. I've been told and have read its a No No to turn the controller on without having the sub attached. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Limberpine said:

I will call the place in NJ next week and chat with him. Since he works on thee things, maybe he can provide some more guidance.

Sure they know their thing. Maybe another there may be chatworthy.

Cool...

• Like 2