What genre of music is your absolute favorite

Brian Tambe

My favorite genre would be well-recorded piano. I especially enjoy Richard Clayderman but listen to many other artists from classical to easy listening, some latin american as well. The forte III do an excellent job of reproducing the sound, no bird warbling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank1938 said:

The forte III do an excellent job of reproducing the sound, no bird warbling.

This is about reproducing pianosound. Can you be more specific and perhaps give some examples of good recordings? 

The reason I ask is I have a piano at home, acoustic, and I have never heard a real to life recording. I can say the same about cello. 

10 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

This is about reproducing pianosound. Can you be more specific and perhaps give some examples of good recordings? 

The reason I ask is I have a piano at home, acoustic, and I have never heard a real to life recording. I can say the same about cello. 

Well I have to agree on the Cello BUT, with the right recording even if it is tonally a bit different it can still be every bit as moving. And considering the difference in instruments and playing ability I think you could be hard pressed to say one is better than the other at times. It was hard to finally find a really good rendition of Four Seasons but I have one that is every bit as good as the last Charlotte Symphony Chamber group I heard.

• 2 weeks later...

I listen to at least a little bit of just about everything.  I have tons of classical vinyl, though I don't listen to it all that often (they are just sooo cheap at used record shops).  I listen to everything from old-school American Blues, Jazz, Gospel, Bluegrass, Old-Time, Big-bands, Ballet, Opera, classic Country, Hip Hop, Rap, Techno, Electronica.... you name it.  Catch me in the right mood and you may hear anything from Tchaikovsky to Wu-Tang Clan.

My favorite, however, and the bulk of my collection is centered around classic Rock and Roll and all of the sub-genres that orbit it (British Blues, Prog Rock, New Wave, Jam Bands, Pop).  I'd have to say my favorite group of all time is Pink Floyd, which I feel is certainly a part of why I love Hi Fi so much.  You can't be a PF fan and not want to hear it at its very best.  I think they are one of the relatively few rock bands whose recordings sound REALLY good on a quality Hi Fi setup.  Getting a better "Dark Side of the Moon" experience has definitely been the driver of many of my audiophile pursuits, haha.

• Like 3

Th a

On 3/12/2021 at 10:13 AM, MeloManiac said:

I have some recordings that include cello by  Yo-Yo Ma. The cello is always very life like/real sounding, even if sometimes not exactly the same. I've a good friend who toured with a cellist (a guitarist-vocalist w/cello). Heard plenty of cello live, so I know the sound.

You should try about any of the Edgar Meyer (double bass) and Yo-Yo Ma recordings.  The ones I have are marvelous recordings.

• Like 1

I can enjoy or can be amused listening to just about anything. I found that Tibetan or Mongol throat singing interesting. But Yoko Ono’s howling makes my skin crawl.  I have a low tolerance for gangster rap and most modern day country music. Over the course of a week I can listen to anything from U2 to Country Folk, from Regae to Heavy Metal to Chopin.

• Thanks 1

Classic Rock, 80's Rock (sometimes called hair metal or hair bands), Ummm ROCK. My favorite band is Metallica and Klipsch make me feel like I'm 18 and standing in the pit every time I spin a track. Love the "live experience" these speakers replicate. Hence the forum name........

• Like 3

On 3/12/2021 at 9:38 PM, lotech said:

Almost strictly classical (Haydn is my favorite composer) but still like 50's rock and big band (Shaw and Goodman in particular).

How about 40's big band?  Be sure to catch the Nichols brother dancing at the end.  Jumping and landing in a full split only to bounce right back up without any effort.  Incredible.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Hold the onions, rap, reggae, punk crap, opera and I'm ready for a big sound bite of just about anything else except Weird Al Yanko!  Wait, I forgot Tiny Tim!  :)  

You shouldn't deny yourself livin' in an Amish paradise:

• Like 3

Big band like wvo80, which my father turned me onto in the 60s--I'm 65. 40s thru mid-60s r&b, jump music, doo ***, r&r up until the mid-70s when the roll aspect disappeared. I also like some ragtime and early jazz until it evolved to where I can't find the melody. Blues is a big part of my listening and I sometimes like to jam on harmonica, especially after a drink or two. 😉 I like  some classical. I don't like metal except for something like early Deep Purple. 

Actually, fear of being forced to listen to a lot of music I don't like at can't-ignore levels is a reason I have not as yet made the effort/commitment to drive my Miata to a  pilgrimage from Rochester, NY. Certainly listening to music I do like and enjoying some adult beverages with some of the regulars around here, that I feel I already know from reading so many of their posts, is the other voice in the deliberation. I will say that having lost my job due to covid has made time commitment/scheduling a non-issue. A two edged sword that.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...