Heresy I E-2 Crossover Capacitor Upgrade Recommendations

harleyfx

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and a new owner of really nice green painted pair of Heresy I. Not sure what happened there but colour doesn't affect the sound. I intend to refinish the cabs to try and make them look as original or something better than green. 

I want to replace Capacitors in the crossover network circuit. I think I  know I need 2 UF and 33 UF values. 

Where it gets confusing for me is all the information out there is making it hard to choose the right type etc..

Can some tell me what type of capacitor ( composition metal film, oil in paper etc. ) and if they need to be polarized ? 

Pardon me if my questions seem stupid. I am new to this and I have done a fair bit of soldering so I'm not afraid do do the job, I just need to know what to buy so I can do the swap. 

I do not want to start the debate of which type is best etc.. I'm still sifting through threads to find info which seems endless lol.  I just want to replace with a good quality cap that will maintain the integrity of sound that originally came with the speaker. 

If I could get a few suggestions on good quality brands and types to buy I would appreciate it. Also regarding the 2 UF cap, I've been looking and can't seem to locate that exact value, I've found 2.2 UF caps will these do or do I need to find the exact value?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

harley

IMG_20210311_132832.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, harleyfx said:

etc.. I'm still sifting through threads to find info which seems endless lol.  I just want to replace with a good quality cap that will maintain the integrity of sound that originally came with the speaker

You want to call JEM and talk to Jim.

Here is a quote from them in the thread that is pinned at the top of this section.

Begin Quote

Some background -

I have used Klipsch speakers since the 1970s professionally and personally.  I experienced the Klipsch industrial series products in live sound reinforcement.  I used Klipsch speakers exclusively in both of my professional recording studios.  I personally own Klipschorns, LaScalas, Cornwalls, Heresy Is, IIs, and industrial Heresy stage monitors.

So you see I do know what a Klipsch speaker should sound like.  We have Roy to thank for getting the correct parts available to keep our vintage pieces of audio history alive and well. 

I don't have much time to respond to questions via this forum but I can be reached during normal business hours at theaudioroom@verizon.net or by phone - 412-401-6915.

End quote

Welcome to the Forum.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, harleyfx said:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

harley

you can reach @JEM Performance    , they are the USA Klipsch Crossover repair center , they sell the Klipsch Original capacitors as KITS

JEM Performance Audio

499 Limestone Drive, Bethel Park, Pennsylvania 15102

(412) 401-6915

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have read up a little bit on JEM. I'm in Canada and with the shipping exchange etc.. it can get quite costly. When the border opens up I will be able to order and pick up in the US and save in shipping and brokerage fees. I ordered a set of high frequency drivers from parts express and by the time I got them the shipping and brokerage was 3 times the cost of a driver. I was hoping to source my Capacitors this side of the border until things open up again. I definitely want to order from JEM as my goal is to restore them to what PK would of intended them to sound like.  

Right now I would just like to by some quality caps and switch out the stock caps to see how much difference it makes. They sound really nice right now and I'm just going to save the originals just in case. 

I'm close to the border so as soon as it opens I'm going to be ordering a few parts. 

I just need to know what type to get. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Budman said:

save your money and upgrade to Cornwalls

I would love too! That's why I only want to change out caps to see if any real difference. These are from 1985, so 36 years on these caps is a long time. Unfortunately my budget (the wife) will not appreciate me buying a set of Cornwall's yet lol. Going to refinish these as green is not my colour lol, I like wood to look like is was intended, like wood lol

IMG_20210311_132731.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Yes some tell their wives, the Cornwall after they buy them, they are Heresy. Show pic of Heresy...

LoL  I wish I could, but she likes to listen to them as well so she asks too many questions. I set up a small listening room to get away from everyone, but they follow me in 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Budman said:

1985 thats nothing

i have 1961 Heresys - 78 Heresys

love the Green😀

Do you still have the original caps in them? 

Isn't the green wonderful 👍 at least nothing else was touched. From what I can tell they are perfectly stock and unmolested except for the beautiful green 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, harleyfx said:

Do you still have the original caps in them? 

Isn't the green wonderful 👍 at least nothing else was touched. From what I can tell they are perfectly stock and unmolested except for the beautiful green 

nm

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Budman said:

i listen to my 69 Klipschorns everyday with Deang crossovers

Well I guess I don't need to be too concerned. I've read a lot of threads with everyone stating that they heard quite an improvement with new caps. Well I may just take my time then and listen a little longer before changing anything. 

• Like 1