Heresy I E-2 Crossover Capacitor Upgrade Recommendations

harleyfx

• 1 year later...

I have 1 Heresy Circa 1984 that I use as a center channel to go with my 2 La Scalas. I ordered replacement caps from Digikey for the Heresy. 3 of them cost me about $16 including shipping. I replaced the entire crossovers several years ago for the La Scalas with B&K Sound crossovers. HUGE difference. I will be replacing the crappy speaker terminal also. 

DSC06992.jpg

• Like 1

@Gregavi

Sad  to hear that you bought new aftermarket BK crossovers and even worse Digikey    , but  had you  upgraded your crossovers with  new klipsch  original capacitors   your speakers would have  sounded fantastic  ,

feel free to try the klipsch Factory capacitors next time around  ..it is sold by  @JEM Performance    https://jemperformanceaudio.com/      

• Confused 1

Thanks 001. I have only just ordered the ones from Digikey. I can send them back and get the ones from JEM. I really didn't know which caps to buy. Still don't. Which ones from JEM for the Heresy and do they sell them for a single speaker or do I have to buy a pair?

What is wrong with the BK crossover? They sound great, at least compared to the originals which were over 30 years old when I replaced them. I think the folks over at Crites would disagree. I can't say because I have not A/B them with BK vs new originals, only BK vs old originals. Obviously not a fair comparison.

Edited by Gregavi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 3/11/2021 at 4:55 PM, Travis In Austin said:

You want to call JEM and talk to Jim.

Here is a quote from them in the thread that is pinned at the top of this section.

Begin Quote

Some background -

I have used Klipsch speakers since the 1970s professionally and personally.  I experienced the Klipsch industrial series products in live sound reinforcement.  I used Klipsch speakers exclusively in both of my professional recording studios.  I personally own Klipschorns, LaScalas, Cornwalls, Heresy Is, IIs, and industrial Heresy stage monitors.

So you see I do know what a Klipsch speaker should sound like.  We have Roy to thank for getting the correct parts available to keep our vintage pieces of audio history alive and well. 

I don't have much time to respond to questions via this forum but I can be reached during normal business hours at theaudioroom@verizon.net or by phone - 412-401-6915.

End quote

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for this; also from Austin TX. I will be reaching out next week to get the required capacitors for my late (84.44.997/8 = 10/xx/84) H1's which indeed sound bloated in the mid-range and lacking in definition. E-2, K-77, K-22, K-53-K (looks like a second K?) - they're physically perfect and clean as a whistle. Want to see how they do with a modern receiver once they're spruced up. 

JEM seems to indicate that a crossover replacement is unnecessary or even undesirable; be interested in thoughts on that as well.  

image.png.d1fbc449cd301d5ee18f79a67216f7bb.png

2 hours ago, bluetoffee316 said:

JEM seems to indicate that a crossover replacement is unnecessary or even undesirable; be interested in thoughts on that as well.  

say  the speakers sound ok , you can hold off  , and your ears will tell you if they sound off  ,   new capacitors open up the sound  versus being muffled some ,    call JEM directly  or email    and discuss it  , then take a decision .

4 hours ago, OO1 said:

say  the speakers sound ok , you can hold off  , and your ears will tell you if they sound off  ,   new capacitors open up the sound  versus being muffled some ,    call JEM directly  or email    and discuss it  , then take a decision .

alright - cheers - will do. I might also reach out to a local speaker service recommended to me to do the work, but this seems like something I can manage

22 hours ago, bluetoffee316 said:

Usually unnecessary.

Undesirable? That depends.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 4:15 PM, Gregavi said:

I have 1 Heresy Circa 1984 that I use as a center channel to go with my 2 La Scalas. I ordered replacement caps from Digikey for the Heresy. 3 of them cost me about $16 including shipping. I replaced the entire crossovers several years ago for the La Scalas with B&K Sound crossovers. HUGE difference. I will be replacing the crappy speaker terminal also. 

i also use a Heresy I between 2 La Scalas.  I modified the Heresy crossover to more closely match the Type AA in my La Scalas.  They are much like HIP crossovers.  I think it helps the match, but it is still a little off in the mids.  It is not noticeable to most people.