The Fives and TV+HDMI issue

Pauel

I've updated the firmvare to the version with the Bass Cut. At the same time Sony XH9505 requested some updates and I updated the TV too. So, I don't know who to blame.

Now have the following issue:

I sometimes use the Fives in the Phono position

after some time of inactivity the speakes are turned off

I turn on the TV

the Fives have been still turned off and I need manually turn them on and switch to TV

However

when I listen to Phono and during that turn on the TV the TV switches the speakers to itself

when I turn off the speakers in the TV position, next time they will wake up on the TV start

Who knows the what might be the solution? 

Edited by Pauel

I've also run into mine when turned on goes to the USB input NOT the TV. So I'm throwing in the towel and I have on order a DAC and will couple it with a small EQ unit from Shiit in California very highly rated. This way I'll use the Optical input altogether into the DAC and then through the EQ unit of theirs and on to the RCA input of the speaker. I don't care that much  I guess, in the end, about the TV triggering the speakers. Since it doesn't work rather well. At least the sound will be superb especially with that EQ. It had better be as there is a 15 day return policy, so I'll let you know how it works out.

So today while I still have that Shiit DAC on order and hope to see it by the weekend, I changed it out on the EQ and ordered a Bellari "Exciter" which in my past recording experience was capable of eliminating the veiled or muffled midrange tendencies and the lack of "air" in the recordings. In my room currently the "Fives" tend to do just that. The mids are a bit muffled sounding on many sources be it Youtube, Netflix and TV, and the high end is certainly not up to snuff at revealing fine detail. I know it's not the speakers fault per se as I've engaged my smartphone with music and a EQ app it has into the Fives via bluetooth. By lowering the 500hz range and upping the 10k and 12k range it cleans up the voice range and adds that air that is missing. So that just confirmed to me that that EQ App Klipsch is working on to kick the DSP in the butt is what these speakers truly NEED! But I'm not patient enough to wait for them to release it which in all probability won't be till later in the year. In the mean time I sure hope this Bellari Exciter does the trick. I have to feed the DAC with the Optical from my TV and from there into the RCA inputs of the speakers. We'll see how that all works out.

• 2 months later...

just got The Fives today and connected them to an LG C8 television set. I use the HDMI ARC (audio return channel) out on the LG into The Fives HDMI input. Works perfect. HDMI  is very different than HDMI ARC. For success one must clearly understand that difference...

The Fives sound best to me after about 6 hours of constant audio signal break in and with the Klipsch default Dynamic Bass EQ disabled. This feature is enabled from Klipsch by default but the instruction manual clearly explains how to disable it...I think many will prefer it disabled for TV listening.

The hardest part setting these up is, when unboxing, removing the battery cover from the remote (without breaking it) to install the supplied batteries! Beyond that unneeded challenge (45 minutes of wasted time IMO), I like The Fives for TV for $800. Better than a sound bar, IMO, and the stereo is so refreshing (spatially) compared to all the other home theater solutions that are out there today. Very simple, very elegant. Good sound. For me The Fives replaces a replaces a (Sonus arc) soundbar and sub and no regrets whatsoever.

In the future The Fives should have more "on board" EQ control; at least a scooped mid and treble boost option. They do not lack bass when the dynamic bass EQ is enabled. When the Dynamic bass is disabled it sounds more natural and still has enough bass in a mid sized room about 1 foot from the back wall (position from the back wall to sonic preference). Klipsch should pay the same attention to user controlled mids and treble adjustments; and maybe just a tad more clarity with spatial imaging...all that would compel me to spend double...for the next gen of this product.

My advice, buy this product and connect the HDMI arc as per Klipsch direction. Enjoy the simple elegance of the sound.

Buck

I've now had several months with the Fives on my Sony Bravia 75" screen. In the end there is NO question that the mids need to be dropped to clear of the vocal range instead of that mushy muffled character they tend to have. Then at the higher end to recapture the "air" and best imaging the highs above 6k need the ability to boost to overcome the lack of clarity and openness of the higher frequencies. This was accomplished on my part by using the Shitt Modi DAC out of the Optical output of my Sony then RCA's from the Modi into the Bellari 5 band EQ, then RCA's into the Phono inputs with the switch over to LINE. When I turn on my TV it does power up the speakers but not to the Phono input. So I simply hit the Phono button on my remote and away I go. I have my 400hz dropped several DB no doubt. Then upped the 8k dial all the way. NOW I finally have a opened up high end and air without any exaggeration and that annoying muffled midrange is banished. I like so many now await that Software update promised for THIS year for the Fives which we all hope will provide enough bands and DB of adjustment to get the job done without these games we've needed to play. At this time without the DAC and EQ it's simply NOT tolerable to me. With the setup I currently have (which includes a SW-100) it is indeed a superb system both for full on explosive movies as well as Classic and Jazz music. After 50+ years as an audiophile it's either done right or sent packing.