Lascala Industrial dating and crossover questions

Wolfden

Good morning to all. I have been a huge fan of Klipsch for quite a number of years now and have only had experience with the klf-30, RF 5, and rb35 all of which in my opinion are just fantastic. I have been in the process of slowly updating and upgrading my klf 30s until just a few days ago I ran into a set of lascala Industrials not two blocks from me, the seller tells me they have new Crites titanium tweeter and to let them break in a little before I really get on the volume, I wasn't aware at the time that they don't sell TIs for the lascalas at least to my knowledge, so longer story shorter I got them hook them up to my system, I'm running them off a Denon 987 pre out to a Carver Sunfire 300, I got to say they sounded nice even at a moderate level per the new titanium diaphragms, I really got a crank it up a bit for the 30 s to Blossom but man when they do they do, anyway about 45 minutes into moderate listening I blew a tweeter and one of the lascalas and I really literally got a sick feeling in my stomach as I laid out a bunch of money I couldn't really afford to spend on speakers, so I pulled a tweeter apart to find out it has a phenolic diaphragm and not only that it has a handwritten date on it 4-23-87 the seller said he mistakenly said crates that they were actually replaced by a local repair shop but to me that doesn't explain the date is written on the actual diaphragm anyway in the sellers defense he did offer to replace the diaphragms I declined saying that I would handle it but thank you. So I'm down to this, is it safe to assume that these are from 1987 based on the date on the diaphragm? The serial number has only 4 digits and I found and downloaded a PDF file with all the code explanations for Klipsch speakers however none of them at least to me explain the numbers on my lascalas also I find out that the AL crossover is not a good one and after doing some reading on this forum I believe at least one member on more than one occasion said that clipping something out of the crossover would essentially turn the AL into an AA? I have looked at pictures all of a stock AL and at the bottom right of the crossover as you're looking in the speaker there is something between the capacitor and I guess the rectifier? That is not in my crossover, there are no screw holes to indicate that there was ever anything there so I'm a little confused about that. I am going to try to post some pictures of what I am talking about hopefully they go through. I just spoke with Michael Crites a few weeks ago to order some new crossover for my klf 30s and found out Pops passed away I had the pleasure of speaking with him on a number of occasions in the past he is missed. Any information you folks might be able to share with me is greatly appreciated thanks in advance.PS. I guess photo files are too big and I'm unable to post, hopefully somebody understands what I'm trying to say thanks again.

• Like 2

I tried faststone photo resizer for someone on this forums request doesn't seem to work though in my Android phone. Also not sure if I'm posting my rather long-winded question right spot. Again I need help point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

• Like 1

thank you, hopefully in time ill be able to navigate this site with ease though im not very computer savvy. I was just trying to get some info on my newly acquired LS I as to the xo and serial #. I wanted to upload pics of my AL and pics I found online, mines missing a piece and dosnt appear to have ever been there also my serial #s are 3433 and 3434

Yes those pics of speakers and the crossover network will help.

Had LS with AL and liked them fine but yes, others do not 

Have heard or read that too about converting to AA.

What you may be missing is diodes or other. There is a way to offer more protection against blowing the 77s tweeters.

Needless to say I'm there are teams of info here on all your questions.

May want to ask the historian t thread about dating from Serial #s. Others will know most or all of this but, haven't seen your topic yet...

Welcome. Assuming you are using windows give this a try.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/image-resizer

You just right click the photo and make it smaller. Does not get any easier. But you do have to get the pictures on the computer form phone/camera. Slightly more work is an external hosting site that you put your pictures and tell the Klipsch site where they are located. The 2MB limit per post is a PITA, so is managing how much storage Klipsch gives you. Flip side is this is a great site for anything Klipsch.

I've got Split industrials, but never opened them up. Plenty here that are well versed in XOs and LSI. Good luck!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wolfden said:

Ok so heres the pics the red arrow on the left and thank you guys for your responses

20210312_102949.jpg

the red arrow  shows Zener Diodes , these are used to protect the Tweeter K77 in your 87 Lascala Industrial  speakers   ,  make sure to test the Diodes and replace them if  1 or 2 of the diodes  are defective , otherwise , you will be blowing tweeters non-stop -

the type AL Crossover is not liked by some , but you can still get replacement capacitors from @JEM Performance  who sell the klipsch OEM Capacitors , https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wolfden said:

the seller tells me they have new Crites titanium tweeter

there is no such thing as a Crites Titanium  tweeter ,  on the Lascala industrial , these are k77 with a phenolic diaphragm  , not a titanium diaphragm , and the date shown on the tweeter is the original EV diaphragm for the K77  with the installation date in1987 ,  and this is a very good diaphragm , most likely ,  the capacitors are worn out , or you overdrove the speakers with very high peaks , or the Zener diodes are defective -

Right on Randy thanks. My AL for for some reason does not have that diode as you can see in the next pic why would that be? Im fairly sure these are 1987s? based on the date hand printed on the tweeter diaphram when took it apart, just 2 years before the end of the first AL run if Im not mistaken? Did they initially not have the zener?

25 minutes ago, Wolfden said:

Right on Randy thanks. My AL for for some reason does not have that diode as you can see in the next pic why would that be? Im fairly sure these are 1987s? based on the date hand printed on the tweeter diaphram when took it apart, just 2 years before the end of the first AL run if Im not mistaken? Did they initially not have the zener?

it  would seem that not all AL networks came with Zener diodes , as they are expensive they are however important to add with the K77

XH5R9Wi.jpg

So I wonder when they started putting the zener in. Is it possible that they started adding the zener in the al2 but just didn't print it on the crossover board I know Klipsch is somewhat notorious for misprinting things such as wattage is on the back of speakers

29 minutes ago, Wolfden said:

purely conjecture on my part but maybe the diodes were not necessary for the industrials since there was a fuse.

Yeah I'm fixing to head to the local audio repair here shortly pick up a couple of 3:amp fuses, actually I'm going to buy a few 2 see what the limits are on these before they blow, if they blow. My Crites diaphragm should be here today, hopefully they are at least as good as the original phenolic. I've had very nice outcomes with their products in the past so I expect no different but time will tell. Thanks

• Like 2

I doubt you will blow the fuse. I never blew mine. I think it was for bands, concerts etc. where they would get pushed hard for long periods of time. 

The industrials were always fused as far as I know. That x over was used in non-industrial LS also. Maybe just skipped the diode when fused and put it in when no fuse to protect the tweeter. My LSi have AA and still have the diodes. Go figure.

LSIparts.thumb.jpg.0a8697d3aa5bf235cfe7f8c86fea0af2.jpg