Lascala Industrial dating and crossover questions

Wolfden

26 minutes ago, Wolfden said:

hopefully they are at least as good as the original phenolic.

your older diaphragm was actually better quality , they had  Beryllium leads   to handle higher power ,    the newer diaphragms are all  Phenolic aftermarket --China-PH since EV no longer manufactures  them  and the leads are the weak point  leading to frying of the voice coil  - 

plus you want to check the DCR on the tweeter that is still operational , the DCR of the aftermarket diaphragms  is 6.2 Ohms -

Yeah as far as the zener application I have no idea I still have a lot to learn evidently but it doesn't seem to be consistent as far as their placements also was wondering what year your LSI are.

Edited by Wolfden
Double post by accident
  • Like 1

My intent is to keep these as original as possible, the quality Klipsch speakers did not become this good by accident but that being said I also know or feel there is always room for improvement. I've been kicking around the idea when my wallet allows possibly trying out Dean's crossovers and or Dave's tweeter I'm just not sure I can justify spending that much money not being sure it would be a major Improvement though others have said that they are it is all still subjective, price / Improvement

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wolfden said:

Just off topic for one moment as I am new to this forum what are the + and quote options at the bottom of each post what do they do?

This is the quote...

Edited by billybob
Correction

the Original K77 diaphragm was made by EV --Electrovoice   --all new diaphragms are aftermarkets from Asia --whether 5$ or100$ -

any used K77  that was not repaired with an aftermarket  diaphragm would have the original EV diaphragm -

51 minutes ago, Wolfden said:

what are the + and quote options at the bottom of each post what do they do?

by clicking on QUOTE , you can ask a forum member , a question about  what is mentionned in the ABOVE  quote

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone will find this but just a quick update. My Crites diaphragm came in over the weekend I put it in along with the proper 3 amp 250 volt fuses, I only ordered one because I wasn't sure how it would sound, also I was kind of kicking around the idea of replacing the the tweets completely.. I did notice the crites diaphragm is definitely brighter than the original. I've got to say this is my first experience with the Heritage line and they did not disappoint, I am powering them with a Sunfire 300 and when I got them up to volume omigod it literally felt like someone was smacking me in the chest, my klf 30s do that too but not like that and the lifelike sound and imaging even in my small room just amazing. Unfortunately due to the size of my room I can't seem to get far enough away from them for the frequencies to blend or the sound to come together if that makes any sense. My room is only 11 X 12 open plan into the same size dining area. I probably should have stuck with my original plan to finish my klf 30s and get a pair of RF 7 ll. LOL I don't know what the heck I was thinking but these things are beasts way too much for my space so I am more than likely going to put them back on the market. Thank you all for your input this is a great source of information and Friendly folks. My best to you all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, billybob said:

Well, yuse don't have to go...

LOL I'm not going anywhere I just wanted to thank those who responded. Been a Klipsch fan for a long time I just got a little overzealous, will more than likely be putting the LSIs back on the market and getting something more realistic LOL like rf-7 ll. Yuse guys are great though!

• Thanks 1

I loved my LaScalas nearfield!

Maybe a 10’ equilateral triangle, speakers at least a foot off the back wall. The farther out, the deeper the soundstage.

The K-43 in the Industrials really makes a difference. A couple decibels more response in the midbass gives it serious guitar punch. It’s supposed to not go as low as the K-33, by a few Hz, but it responds much more favourably to EQ without getting muddy. 

This may sound backwards, but maybe hold off selling them until after you get your new pair of speakers to compare them to. You will always be able to sell them, they aren’t making any more LSIs...

I have owned three pairs of LS over the years and still have LSI Splits.

What I always found interesting when selling the other pairs was the majority of interested buyers that echoed this comment:

“I used to own LaScalas, and I wish I had never sold them.” 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

Many members looking for LS.

Where are you located?

Hey Sancho, I am in Central Florida East Coast. If I do decide to put them back on the market I will certainly list them here also on Facebook and Craigslist. Thanks

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, geoff. said:

I loved my LaScalas nearfield!

Maybe a 10’ equilateral triangle, speakers at least a foot off the back wall. The farther out, the deeper the soundstage.

The K-43 in the Industrials really makes a difference. A couple decibels more response in the midbass gives it serious guitar punch. It’s supposed to not go as low as the K-33, by a few Hz, but it responds much more favourably to EQ without getting muddy. 

This may sound backwards, but maybe hold off selling them until after you get your new pair of speakers to compare them to. You will always be able to sell them, they aren’t making any more LSIs...

I have owned three pairs of LS over the years and still have LSI Splits.

What I always found interesting when selling the other pairs was the majority of interested buyers that echoed this comment:

“I used to own LaScalas, and I wish I had never sold them.” 

Unfortunately I don't have the room to get that distance. I have them in the only viable spot now and that puts my primary listening at about eight feet. I do have them towed in slightly at about 6 in off the wall, that's about as far as I can get them off the wall without them being in the way and being even closer to my listening position. As far as buying another pair before selling these I actually thought about that but I would be stretching my budget. We'll see what happens thanks.