Jump to content

Help with wiring in receiver with new speakers


Recommended Posts

Hey folks, 

 

I'm pretty green to all of this and could use some help with the wiring configuration to my receiver.  It's a Sony STR-DH790 7.2 or 5.1.2, I have 4 book shelf speakers and 1 center, and 1 sub.  I noticed that the ports on the back have a "Front A", is that supposed to be for the two front (R+L) book shelf speakers? I'm going to get some Dolby Atmos height speakers pointing down and I want to wire this in for 5.1.2.  1 center, 2 front, 2 rear or side and 2 Atmos height (I'm purchasing these later), 1 sub.  Is this receiver capable of doing this and if so, how would I go about wiring that in?  See below for a pic of the ports. 

 

It's for a 14x14 theater room, any suggestions on wire gauge while I'm on the topic?  I'm aiming towards 12 gauge with straight banana connectors from the research I've done. Any tips are much appreciated to ease this process! 

 

AV.png

Edited by bazookajoe1337
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you come right with the manual? In case you haven't, just looking at the photo you posted, I think the A in Front A is misleading, as I don't see a B anywhere... so just ignore the A. 

 

For a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup:

 

Front A = Front L & R (Mains)

Center = Center speaker

Surround = Surround L & R (ideally placed on the side walls to the side of the main listening position or slightly behind)

Surround Back/Height = Your Dolby Atmos overhead height speakers

 

I would go 12 gauge (or as as close to it as possible) for the speaker wires while you're at it and if you can afford it... just so you don't have one more thing that you might feel the urge to upgrade later... 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Did you come right with the manual? In case you haven't, just looking at the photo you posted, I think the A in Front A is misleading, as I don't see a B anywhere... so just ignore the A. 

 

For a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup:

 

Front A = Front L & R (Mains)

Center = Center speaker

Surround = Surround L & R (ideally placed on the side walls to the side of the main listening position or slightly behind)

Surround Back/Height = Your Dolby Atmos overhead height speakers

 

I would go 12 gauge (or as as close to it as possible) for the speaker wires while you're at it and if you can afford it... just so you don't have one more thing that you might feel the urge to upgrade later... 🙂

Thanks for the input! On the 12 gauge wire, is there any product that seems to sound better than others or will any 12 gauge standard copper speaker wire suffice? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, bazookajoe1337 said:

On the 12 gauge wire, is there any product that seems to sound better than others or will any 12 gauge standard copper speaker wire suffice?

 

I honestly don't think you can hear the difference between different cable products (although some might disagree). We're really just trying to minimize losses, so in my opinion you don't need to overspend on expensive cables. Just get good quality, oxygen-free, pure copper speaker wire. The Monoprice cables are highly rated by most and are good value for money from what I've heard, so you can't go wrong with @Sancho Panza's recommendation. I think this is exact cable I've seen many using: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2817

 

I've also heard good things about Blue Jean's cables (they measure well and are good value for money apparently), so you can compare their prices to Monoprice if you want some choice.

 

I hope this helps.

 

Brendon

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2021 at 2:53 PM, billybob said:

How is it coming?

That's right you need wire...

Glad you mentioned that lol. So for my receiver, would it be best to run banana connectors on the speaker side, and then straight pin connectors into the receiver end?  Or just simply run banana connectors on both ends or would you recommend bare wire?  I'm going to have to run bare wire on the wall mounted speakers simply because the banana connectors stick out too far in the back.  Recommendations? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I run bare but, if you do, .make certain, there is no strand of wire touching between the 2 wires or the chassis body of your Sony.

Others more versed on the banana plugs. They may have some shorter plugs.

Always recommend unplugged from wall before wiring...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

I run bare but, if you do, .make certain, there is no strand of wire touching between the 2 wires or the chassis body of your Sony.

Others more versed on the banana plugs. They may have some shorter plugs.

Always recommend unplugged from wall before wiring...

Absolutely, thanks for the tips!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...