Need help with center channel - Does Timber Match Really Matter?

AudioHobby

Hey everyone,

I just joined and I’m hoping for center channel advice. I currently have the following set up:

Denon AVR-X2300W receiver 

R-25C center

R-28F front left and right speakers

R-10SW sub

Mirage Nanosat surrounds

I’m looking to upgrade my center channel since I feel the voices are sometimes overpowered by the front left and right speakers. I can pickup a RC-25 speaker locally for $50, which has a titanium tweeter. Should I give that speaker a try? How important is timber matching? What are your suggestions? 

Thanks

Edited by AudioHobby
  • Thanks 1

For that price, I believe you should do it. I believe it will be an upgrade over your current center channel. The problem is, you might get upgradeitis and continue to upgrade the rest of the speakers. Good luck on your journey

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies. I did previously try a Polk CS10 and then a Martin Logan Motion 8i but, I didn’t like the way they paired with the mains either.  I just haven’t tried another Klipsch center. Only the current center (R-25C).

Any other center speaker I should try in case I can’t get the RC-25?

• Like 1

Thanks  @billybob

@Zen Traveler I did run the Audyssey set up and the overall sound in the room is pretty good. I then set the front speakers to small and did crossovers at 60 or 80 so that the sub would handle the lows instead. I’m not sure if that messes up the other Audyssey settings? 

Just looking for a little extra clarity, especially during movies. That is when I feel the voices are really lost. I’ve also tried turning up the center but, that didn’t sound right either, to my ears.

• Like 1

Going back and logging changing them to small and setting a crossover is a good thing and shouldn't mess with the calibration. Another thing I would check is the AVR preamp settings such as which Audyssey is engaged (flat, Audyssey, or none) and that Dynamic Volume is off. {Note: The latter is what i found to be 5he culprit when I was disappointed at first.}

Btw, you may very well appreciate a different center channel but those are my troubleshooting recommendations before you go out and spend some cash. Good luck. :)

• Like 1