Advice on speaker purchase

NeedDecentSetup

Hello All,

I need to replace an old speaker system (12yrs+) in a dedicated home theater. I am considering purchasing the speakers below, but I am on a budget and want to make sure I get it right. 

left/right front channels - RP-600M Bookshelf Speakers

Center Channel - RP-504C Center Channel

Side Surround - RP-500SA 

Rear Surround - RP-500SA or R-41SA

Front Elevation - RP-500SA

Subwoofer - SPL-150 Subwoofer

Amp: Denon AVR-X4700H

Here are my questions:

1. I like the RP-504C for the center channel, but feel it may over power the RP-600M. Is that a correct assumption or will they be okay?

2. Due to stadium seating, I need to mount the RP-504C center channel above the screen. This speaker is heavy! Can anyone recommend a get mounting bracket?

3. This will be my first Dolby Atmos setup. There is a space of about 4 feet between the screen wall with the l/c/r spears and the first row of chairs. Should I place the front elevation speakers above the l/r channels or move them closer to the MLP?

4. The rear surround speakers are on a back wall and just above the head of the listeners. Should I go with the R-41SAs or stay consistent with the RP-500SAs?

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forums!

Notes about sources:

CALL Cory with Paducah Home Theater CALL for smoking deals.

Adorama, Newegg, et C. for Closeouts.

Crutchfield has a generous return policy; although their prices aren’t always the least expensive.

Me thinks - the 504C maybe a tad much for the 600Ms. Any chance you can go with floor standers in place of the 600Ms?

You will likely need to fabricate a Center mount. Someone else may know of one, I do not.

Are you saying 4ft from the screen to the seats? How large is the screen? Sounds awful close.

Buy Klipsch speakers all day, but when it comes to sub woofers - look around. Better ones out there.

The Denon AVR-X4700H is quite a bit more than you will likely need - unless you upgrade the fronts to floor standers.

All my 2 cents, good luck

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick responses, and tips on where to purchase! 

Me thinks - the 504C maybe a tad much for the 600Ms. Any chance you can go with floor standers in place of the 600Ms?

Unfortunately, I prefer not to use floor speakers. Mostly, it's a  cosmetic issue, and the concern of them getting bumped and banged by. kids. However, I feel the 600Ms may be too small even for fronts.

Are you saying 4ft from the screen to the seats? How large is the screen? Sounds awful close.

Agreed. The space is 4ft from the screen to the seats, and the screen is 120 inches. I tend to seat in the last row further back, and even when guests are over the 1st row is always the last option.

• Like 1

Depending on how high the center will be mounted, perhaps you can get an adjustable mount to safely angle it towards the seats? 

I also wonder if the rears will keep up with the others. However,  if they are right above the listeners head, it probably won’t matter if they have a little less overall powerful. Just my thoughts. Good luck. It sounds like it will rock!

Edited by AudioHobby
Error
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 8:34 PM, Sancho Panza said:

Good, very good. Add another SW when you can, then a two channel amp, & another pair of RP-500SA

Thanks, I plan on adding another SW in future, but why 2-channel amp with RP-500-SA? Is this for rear elevation? If so, will there be a noticeable improvement given the costs? 

Edited by NeedDecentSetup
  • Like 1