What is the crossover frequence for bass in AL-3

SpeedLimit

hello

do someone know the frequence  from bass to mid on the AL-3 crossover ?

4 mH inductance and 136 µF capacitance -  12dB/oct cross .... i know the k33-e (like the Eminence Kappa 15C) isa 4 ohms woofer.

I do not understand what crossover it is ... not butterworth, not linkwitz riley, not bessel, so what ?

Thank you for all explanations

4 hours ago, SpeedLimit said:

hello

do someone know the frequence  from bass to mid on the AL-3 crossover ?

4 mH inductance and 136 µF capacitance -  12dB/oct cross .... i know the k33-e (like the Eminence Kappa 15C) isa 4 ohms woofer.

I do not understand what crossover it is ... not butterworth, not linkwitz riley, not bessel, so what ?

Thank you for all explanations

I'm not sure it has a name, so I refer to it as an underdamped second order filter.  I assume it was designed for the K-55M driver.

Attached is my electrical simulation of the voltages across the K-33E and K-55M. I multiplied the K-55M voltage by 1.585 to account for the 

T4A's attenuation. 

As you can see, the adjusted voltages "cross" around 300Hz. 

Notice that the polarity of the K-55M is not reversed, even though the voltages are roughly 180 degrees apart.  Normally this would create a null at the

crossover frequency, but I believe the underdamped nature of the filter compensates for that.

Then again, I could be totally wrong, but I tend to learn more be being so.

Mike

AL-3.png

Thank you mboxler ..

i have Eminence Kappa 15C woofer, Atlas sound PD-5VH squawker, b&c de 10 tweeters and klipsch AL-3 crossover ... and it doesn't sound good ..

I do not know why.  It seems that there is a hole between woofer and squawker.

perhaps the new pd-5vh doesn't play at 450 Hz with the original (genuine) klipsch al-3 crossover.

I have put the Kappa 15C in peavey fh-1 cabinet .. these cabinets are very close to la scala ones, a little bit bigger but not too much. It must or should sounds like the La Scala ..

• Like 1

Have you tried inverting the polarity to the pd-5vh?  That may create a hump at the crossover that you might like.

I've read that the pd-5vh only goes to 4500Hz???  If that's the case, the high pass to the tweeter is around 6000Hz.  Seems like there would be a hole there too.

no way , a FH1  sounds like a LS  ,  it's much bigger  , so no wonder the AL-3 is not suited  -  and the problem is not the PD5VH  , either , it's used in the LS5 and the AK6  and there is no hole anywhere fore or aft    -you need ,  an Active crossover setup -

Yes i tried an active crossover but the result was not good.

I tried with beringer src 2496 ans dcx 2496, there was too much noise something like sssshhjhh .. un french that noise is "souffle" and "ronflette".

Then i tried a Dayton audio dsp-408.

Same problem. It is noisy.

I tried then with my old Pioneer sf-700.

It was better but too less possibilities of cross frequencies and slopes.

And now ?

I tried another passive filter. It is better but even some frequencies missing

24 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

no way , a FH1  sounds like a LS  ,  it's much bigger  , so no wonder the AL-3 is not suited  -  and the problem is not the PD5VH  , either , it's used in the LS5 and the AK6  and there is no hole anywhere fore or aft    -you need ,  an Active crossover setup -

what do you use as active crossover RandyH000 ?

9 minutes ago, mboxler said:

I thought the LS5 and AK6 crossed at 4500Hz, around the natural cutoff of the pd-5vh.

Yes , it seems that on the AL-3 crossover, the pd-5vh has no high cutoff, i mean no inductance and capacitance to stop the driver in the high frequencies, it stops at its natural cutoff

RandyH000, or perhaps, i should not put 6,8 Ohms and 10 ohms resistors on the pd-5vh to reduce the sound pressure ?

perhaps have i too much reduced this speaker ..

Do you think so ?

I have no system to mesure the level of each speaker .. perhaps the Eminence Kappa 15C in the Peavey FH-1 cabinet has more energy than i think (more power - pressure, i don't know what is the correct name for the level in dB that the speaker can give with 1 watt)

16 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

RandyH000, or perhaps, i should not put 6,8 Ohms and 10 ohms resistors on the pd-5vh to reduce the sound pressure ?

right , check  the  AA network configuration  for the Squawker   , this is the best for the PD5VH -

Looking For Schematic or Diagram: AA Crossover Network and Heresy I and II  - round cup Xover Networks - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio  Community

27 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

perhaps have i too much reduced this speaker ..

Do you think so ?

I have no system to mesure the level of each speaker .. perhaps the Eminence Kappa 15C in the Peavey FH-1 cabinet has more energy than i think (more power - pressure, i don't know what is the correct name for the level in dB that the speaker can give with 1 watt)

You can try to simulate your network with this software, it is very efficient 👍

https://kimmosaunisto.net/Software/Software.html

😎