What is the crossover frequence for bass in AL-3

SpeedLimit

So, i am back...

i tried many things ...

with a second crossover board  (see picture with the 2 boards)..

The bass is crossed with the original cross of the AL-3 .. sometimes i changed the 136 µF capacitances with 77 µF, with 27 µF, without capacitances.

I also tried the different crossovers mustang_flht calculated for me ..

With the crossover from mustang_flht, it was better than with the al-3. It is not easy to make crossovers without listening. Thank you mustang_flht for what you have done for me. It is very nice of you.

My La Scala clones are decided not to play well for me .. Something is perturbing. I do not know exactly what.

At the end, i decided to replace all the old cap of the original Klipsch AL-3 crossover.  i have put MKP cap. A little better but not enough to say it was a good idea.

I have put 2 klipsch logos on my clones .. i hoped, it would play better with them ...  :-))

So, now, i have read and read more times many discussions on this forum that handle around the La Scala and the crossovers.

Some of you says that the type A crossover is perhaps one which give the better sound .. Only 6dB/oct slope and it seems to be not tiring to ear

Do you think it is a good idea ?

I will try to find better capacitances like oil capacitances (i don't know the real name in american : something like oil bath capacitors in metal tank)

So i am open to any suggestions ?

I am also looking for 2482 jbl diaphragm, because, i have 2 iwata horns for my JBL 2440 drivers but i would prefer to have phenolic diaphragm.

I have seen that the 2482 diaphragm could go into the 2440 drivers.

Next time i will show you my Iwata 2" horns.

IMG_20210314_193550.jpg

IMG_20210321_081604.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 10:22 AM, SpeedLimit said:

Thank you mboxler ..

i have Eminence Kappa 15C woofer, Atlas sound PD-5VH squawker, b&c de 10 tweeters and klipsch AL-3 crossover ... and it doesn't sound good ..

I do not know why.  It seems that there is a hole between woofer and squawker.

perhaps the new pd-5vh doesn't play at 450 Hz with the original (genuine) klipsch al-3 crossover.

I have put the Kappa 15C in peavey fh-1 cabinet .. these cabinets are very close to la scala ones, a little bit bigger but not too much. It must or should sounds like the La Scala ..

I have owned many of those and still do. Great mid bass bins.

Hello mustang_flht

yes, i can try this ..  i just have to find 3,9 and 12µF caps ..

I can try this while waiting for the arrival of my components to do the filter at 6dB / Oct like that of Bob crites slightly modified (A-4500 with change of the 2μF capacitor by 4 μF and addition of the self of 0, 5 MH in series with squawker)

And now some pictures of my Iwata horns

IMG_7043 (Medium).JPG

dsc00016_218.jpg

DSCF0006.JPG

IMG_5871.JPG

IMG_5873.JPG

IMG_5875.JPG

IMG_5877.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SpeedLimit said:

Hello mustang_flht

yes, i can try this ..  i just have to find 3,9 and 12µF caps ..

I can try this while waiting for the arrival of my components to do the filter at 6dB / Oct like that of Bob crites slightly modified (A-4500 with change of the 2μF capacitor by 4 μF and addition of the self of 0, 5 MH in series with squawker)

And now some pictures of my Iwata horns

Hi @SpeedLimit Afterwards, if you like a sound that is a little soft and not aggressive, I like to dig a little in the upper midrange around 4000 Hz. If you want I can calculate that easily.

1 hour ago, SpeedLimit said:

Yes why not mustang_flht

but first, i must find the components needed for your last crossover. I don't have them yet.

--tweeking an AA is a lot easier than an AL-3

11 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I have owned many of those and still do. Great mid bass bins.

Oh, and the best sound I ever got out of them in may small office space in the basement of my house from 2000-2009 was with a square magnet K-33 woofer that I got in purchase/trade from a fellow Khorn owner who badly wanted my pairs of Chorus I and Chorus II surrounds for 7.1. They were replaced in another room with 1/2 dozen Peavey SP-1's, which I called 2-way "cheap Scalas," and much rarer to find used today. The ones in the office had EV-960 horns on top with DH1a drivers Sonic Impact chip amps (as tested by a Klipsch Engineer later on). A Behringer 24/96 Active Xover was feeding a PEQ'd signal to them. Funny thing is that because of ROOM GAIN, those suckers went down to an unbelievable 30 Hz. in that room, which never ceased to amaze me. This is what sold me on room gain in a manner similar to my discovery of the low bass that could be had from my Super Heresy 1 Modifications later on.

And here is a soft version, the hole of 3db approximately between 2KHz and 7kHz is voluntary.

if it is too much we can calculate an intermediate version,  

tv6u.jpg

A soft version with your 14µF to avoid looking for a 12µF, This is my favorite for testing 👍

image.thumb.png.3778279d5c2753ee62dcd72e7e3c2284.png

I have ordered  2,7 mH inductances (to make 2,5 mH after removing some rounds of wire), 13 µF (10 + 3) oil cap, 4µF oil cap, 2 inductances 0,5 mH, 2 transformers 3619 and 2 oil caps 2µF.

Someone said me that oil caps are better with horn drivers, smoother.

So i will be able to make type A or type AA crossovers.

I just have to wait that the items arrive to my far island.

Meanwhile, i will try (if i find the components) the crossover mustang_flht calculate for me.

• Like 1

Hello mustang_flht

if i can ask you ...

can you (using your software) say me what would be the response with my speakers with the Type A or AA crossover ?

I am waiting for my ordered items (capacitances ,  inductances and autotransformer t2a) to build one of these crossovers.

I think perhaps i will have to add an attenuation on the tweeter because it has more efficiency (sensitivity than the EV T35a).

I show you 3 diagrams of cross. One is the type A, the other the AA and a variant of them.

a.jpg

aa.jpg

57e18700b78b8_A4500Schematic.jpg.65604c277fbeffeb4b9f2a14c19f995a.jpg

15 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Hi,

Ok, I'm looking tomorrow. The only unknown is that I miss the characteristics of the T2A tranfo, in particular the mH. Okay, I'll find and simulate these filters.

I have always based my simulation (LTSpice) on an old post from Bob Crites (RIP). He measured 6.6mH across taps 4-5 of a 3619. Since those taps should equal 

29.3% of the total windings, then I came up with 38.38mH across taps 0-4, and 76.76mH across taps 0-5.  You probably should recheck my findings 🙂.

Mike