What is the crossover frequence for bass in AL-3

SpeedLimit

On 3/21/2021 at 4:03 AM, SpeedLimit said:

Hello mustang_flht

yes, i can try this ..  i just have to find 3,9 and 12µF caps ..

I can try this while waiting for the arrival of my components to do the filter at 6dB / Oct like that of Bob crites slightly modified (A-4500 with change of the 2μF capacitor by 4 μF and addition of the self of 0, 5 MH in series with squawker)

And now some pictures of my Iwata horns

IMG_7043 (Medium).JPG

dsc00016_218.jpg

DSCF0006.JPG

IMG_5871.JPG

IMG_5873.JPG

IMG_5875.JPG

IMG_5877.JPG

The workmanship on those horns is great, but I’m not sure what type they are.  They don’t look to be either exponential, like a La Scala, or tractrix, like some newer types.  Accurate horn shape is critical to good sound.

EDIT:  I see that they are Iwata horns, a design that’s completely new to me.  While they may sound great in their intended use, they likely don’t behave like a standard K-400, so they probably won’t respond to steps that should work with a K-400 horn, or work properly with any kind of Klipsch crossover.

You may have a lot of experimenting to do.  It’s far simpler to buy a pair of working La Scalas.  La Scalas and other Heritage Series speakers can be a good investment, because they tend to appreciate, or at least keep their value, over time.

I have received my components this miday.

All what i need to build the type A, and i think also for the type AA.

I used thé Iwata horns with jbl 2440 and the onken cabinets.

I have sold thé cabinets because it is really not beautiful ... But sounded very very good

Back again ...

my type-A crossover are ready.

These sound better with my drivers than the AL-3 ones.

For remember :

i have 2 Peavey FH-1 cabinets with Eminence Kappa 15C woofers, 2 Atlas sound PD-5VH drivers, 2 B&C DE10 tweeters.

With the AL-3 crossovers, i had a hole between squawker and tweeter, or something like that.

I made another crossover not based on klipsch schematics. It was, a little better but not on the full frequencies.

So i ordered the components to make a type-A crossover.

I didn't find 2,5 mH inductance, so i had to buy a 2,7 mH. Perhaps, i will retired some wire to make them be 2,5 mH. I only wait to test with 2,7 mH.

It sound much better.

I tried to do a second 2µF capacitance in parallel with the 2µF (original Type-A cross).  The tweeter is more present, perhaps just a little bit too present.

So what do you think now .?

Would the type-AA crossovers be better than the type-A with my drivers ?   If yes, i will have to find a ,0245 mH inductance ... it not easy to find this value.

filtre_type-A_conn.jpg

From an old post by Deang, on the differences between A and AA crossovers.

"Technically yes, but there is so little difference in the output of the various drivers, that from the perspective of actual use and practicality - no. "

The AA has tweeter protection (the two zener diodes), and I believe the AA has a 12db slope for the tweeter while the A has a 6db slope, which also gives more protection. You are using the DE10... which handles more power than the original K77 tweeters.

I would say it's not worth making the change.

The crossover build looks great, and your mix of components should sound great together.  Take some time to enjoy, just immerse yourself in the music and don't think about parts for awhile.

• Like 1

You're right Marvel, i will do that, jst listen music a few days.

on the picture, i tried with 4 µF - since this picture, i removed the second 2µF capacitance. So i am back with the type-A crossover. It sounds good.

On the board, i have let some place to fill with the components if i test the AA type, but i think i will not upgrade to the AA.

-the DE -10  should  sound more pointy than a K77 , so  1 to 3 db attenuation may balance it out for the A network

you could make ,  a Convertible network allowing  you to switch from an A  to an AA  on 1 board -

the zener diodes and the extra 2µF in the AA  have an effect on the tweeter's harshness  by at least 1db  without having to further attenuate the tweeter from the T2-A-

Yes, perhaps i should reduce the sensitivity if the tweeter. I do not know how much, 1 to 3 dB.

But i must not change the impedance of the tweeter.

It has more sensitivity than the k77 (EV t35) but how much more. I don t know the sensitivity of the k77.

27 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

Yes, perhaps i should reduce the sensitivity if the tweeter. I do not know how much, 1 to 3 dB.

But i must not change the impedance of the tweeter.

It has more sensitivity than the k77 (EV t35) but how much more. I don t know the sensitivity of the k77.

Nice build!  Your 3619 autoformer is limited to -3, -6, -9, and -12db, but I see no reason why you can't move the tweeter circuit from tap 5 to tap 4.  Looks like

the DE10 around 3db hotter than the K77, and the load change on the 13uf capacitor isn't that significant.

Mike