Replace my old McIntosh MC2125

mustang_flht

Hi @Bubo

Thank you for all your informative comments: Since my first post, things have changed:

1- I tried the Lab Gruppen, but since the fan noise was too loud and continuous, I returned it to the seller for free.

2- my MC2125 broke down, I have to take it to a repairman in a few days to get a repair estimate.

3- yes I know I should keep the MC2125, I've had it for over 21 years, but I wanted to change for no objective reason just for fun: I look with envy at the PAS Audio 2002PCA it's a small fanless studio amp in class AB mosfet K1058 / J162, handcrafted by a craftsman in Germany, I will only use it for bass on the K33E, above I have a Cary SLi50

😎

• Like 1

In any case, if you separate, and depending on the selling price, do not hesitate to contact me again.

After me, I have a shipping cost and taxes to add to the selling price, so if, in addition the repairs are expensive, it may not be wise for me.

I missed a C504 on Leboncoin (well-known sales site in France), Arrggg. It was in very good condition for a price of 750 €.

I would like to find a C504 couple or better a C33 and an amp with autoformers type 2125 or more powerful for my CW IV.

Yes here there is a beautiful castle from the Middle Ages, opposite that of Tarascon (Tartarin)

https://www.google.com/search?q=chateaux+de+Beaucaire+et+Tarascon&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjMj4iMjerwAhXigHMKHflGAeQQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=chateaux+de+Beaucaire+et+Tarascon&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDFCp1wFYluwBYIP6AWgAcAB4AIABxgGIAbsFkgEDMC40mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=q7CvYIyOE-KBzgP5jYWgDg&bih=625&biw=1366

Transport is a problem for you, I don't have a box for my MC2125. When I bought it in a HiFi store, there was no box and I carried it to my house on the floor of my car, but I only had 30kms from the store.

I know that in the United States they sell the transport boxes, but for us it would still be extra costs. You think that a McIntosh massive amp 60lbs / 30 Kg can navigate with the ocean waves to your home without breaking the glass of the facade !!!

3 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

You think that a McIntosh massive amp 60lbs / 30 Kg can navigate with the ocean waves to your home without breaking the glass of the facade !!!

I shipped Elipson spheres in staff (plastre and filass), for whom to know these speakers, from the meeting to metropolitan France without any breakage. You should actually know packing but it is feasible. I sent 3 pairs of spheres, those of Elipson 4240, the smallest with broadband Supravox and others still with HP brand that I forgot the name. It takes double packaging, then plastic bubbles, double cardboard, and that none of the walls of the cardboard affects the article shipped.

16 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

Yes here there is a beautiful castle from the Middle Ages, opposite that of Tarascon (Tartarin)

https://www.google.com/search?q=chateaux+de+Beaucaire+et+Tarascon&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjMj4iMjerwAhXigHMKHflGAeQQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=chateaux+de+Beaucaire+et+Tarascon&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDFCp1wFYluwBYIP6AWgAcAB4AIABxgGIAbsFkgEDMC40mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=q7CvYIyOE-KBzgP5jYWgDg&bih=625&biw=1366

Transport is a problem for you, I don't have a box for my MC2125. When I bought it in a HiFi store, there was no box and I carried it to my house on the floor of my car, but I only had 30kms from the store.

I know that in the United States they sell the transport boxes, but for us it would still be extra costs. You think that a McIntosh massive amp 60lbs / 30 Kg can navigate with the ocean waves to your home without breaking the glass of the facade !!!

France is beautiful

The Mc would be screwed or bolted to a piece of plywood

Then in a thick cardboard box, and foam board surrounding it

Then into a second thick cardboard box with hard foam board all the way around.

And if it's going container aka shipboard, may be good to put in in a wood box.

Arrive alive......

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 5:05 PM, Bubo said:

France is beautiful

Thank you 👍

The Mc would be screwed or bolted to a piece of plywood

Then in a thick cardboard box, and foam board surrounding it

Then into a second thick cardboard box with hard foam board all the way around.

And if it's going container aka shipboard, may be good to put in in a wood box.

Arrive alive......

Anyway, I don't want to do any shipping, if I sell my MC2125 the buyer will pick it up at my home.

• Like 1

@mustang_flht re your Mac. Are you sure it is not dirty/bad connections. Or dirty gain controls. Lots of things can cause what you describe. Of course it very well could be thermal fault in one of the semiconductors also. I would leave no stone un-turned connection/dirty control wise before paying someone to "fix" it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @babadono

Yes I checked all the conection and the potentiometers: everything works fine. The repairer is known to be serious and checking the amplifier costs only € 30 (~36$)to tell me what the fault is. If I have the amplifier repaired, these € 30 will be deducted from the price of the repair. Afterwards, if the price of the repair is too high for me, the repairer can eventually buy me back my broken amp, he will revise it for a future sale at his place.

In the meantime I restarted my Perspective A1, a French amp that I bought in 1982 and which has a very good bass sound. It replaces the MC2125 without demerit and while waiting to receive the Pas-Audio 2002PCA.

Perspective A1

FR_0_amplificateur_de_puissance_Perspect

I ordered a Pas Audio 2002PCA studio amp with convection cooling and no fan. It is equipped with reputable Mosfets k1058 - j162: the construction is done by hand by a craftsman in Germany.

Some photos found on the net
afb6.jpg

rvq0.jpg

z2ux.jpeg
i1pv.jpeg
25gq.jpeg

😋

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I finally received this PAS Audio 2002PCA, I ordered it at the end of April and it was very long, because we had to wait for the craftsman to weld and assemble this beautiful amp by hand, so about 10 weeks of waiting . I think he had difficulties getting electronic components, moreover the amplifier is currently unavailable for three months at Thomman.

For the moment I am discovering the amp, but already I can say that it works very well. It is wonderfully quiet, in the speakers there is no hissing or snoring. The toroidal transformer makes almost no noise, even with the ear glued to the facade the typical sound of toric is very very very low, barely audible. For the sound I wait a bit, but already the bass is formidable and the power impressive. In short, I am happy.

😎

• Like 1