Subwoofer size and selection for existing setup suggestions?

Sam Marrocco

I'm in the final stages of setting up a home theater, room is about 28 feet wide by 15' deep and 8' ceilings, with open areas to other rooms.

I have a 504c Center Channel and I've purchased four RM600m's as two mains in front and two surrounds on the direct left and right of the viewer.

Currently using an old Yamaha receiver and am considering options for a new Denon or Marantz.

I'm a bit torn on a new subwoofer....I like the idea of the Klipsch 10 or 12" SPL model, either seems good for my room size (I can't fit two even if I wanted), but Klipsch Subs don't seem to get a lot of love in the review world compared to SVS and others. The newer SVS PB-1000 Pro and PB-2000 Pro seem pretty well suited for the the room and get very nice reviews.

My goals are home theater use of 90% and music listening 10%, so the ported subs seems better suited. I don't need ear-bleeding volumes but watch a lot of 'splosions'-based films.

I'm not a zealot about these things, so I'm wondering if that room size really needs a 12" sub and if the differences between the SPL120 and PB-2000 Pro would be that noticable to me. I'm also thinking about ordering one of each and returning the one I don't like, but would like to avoid that if there's anything obviously different.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

With a room at minimum 3400ft3 + the other open areas, you need a pair of the PB-2000s to get even close to "pressurizing" that space for high impact action movie scenes.  I had an RSW-10d and a Revel B15 in my 4000ft3 room and that just was not enough to "feel" action movies the way they should be experienced.  I added an SVS SB13 Plus to the mix and that is when I finally felt pretty satisfied with my HT rig.

Bill

• Like 3

28*8*8 is a big space.

Do NOT get hung up on a Klipsch sub (Klipsch speakers are awesome, better subs to be had).

I have a 18*12 room (9ft ceilings), open at back to the kitchen area. The SVS-PB16Ultra does awesome (replace a Klipsch RSW-15 worked well, but Klipsch reliability with their on-board powered subs has been questionable) ).No room is perfect. Not sure my SVS is "enough on paper" for my room - but to me it works just fine.

You can always turn a sub's volume  down. 🙂