Tax Preparation Software

Peter P.

Recommend to me some tax preparation software. Macintosh compatible, please.

State and Federal.

The most complicated issue I have with my taxes is Dividends and Distributions of my mutual fund (1099-DIV). I could never understand the IRS instructions ☹️, so I usually had a paid tax preparer complete them. But I was in the big name office supply store this morning and spied some of the offerings, which got me to thinking.

Thanks!

I use Turbotax although now it will work in Windows 10 only. Not sure about the Mac. Turbotax takes you through every step of the way and depending what you check off is how in depth it gets. It figures everything out as you go  and it checks for errors at the end and also your % chances of getting audited.  I also continuously compares the simple deduction of 14,000 to all of your other deductions to tell you which s the best way to go.You can print everything out, or send it electronically. When it prints out it uses all of the exact forms that are required for your return.It also tells gives you the addresses if you mail it in. I only found one mistake it made over the years and it was in the transfer from one year to another regarding stock losses.

They didn't properly carry over the stock loss. The State form is an extra download which also includes your city. I personally like it a lot even though they blew me out of Windows 7.

JJK

I concur with Turbotax however, I've never used it on a Mac.  Probably been using it 20 years though.

If you dig into it....  know that they have different versions and you want to be sure to get the version that handles the 1099-Div

6 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I concur with Turbotax however, I've never used it on a Mac.  Probably been using it 20 years though.

If you dig into it....  know that they have different versions and you want to be sure to get the version that handles the 1099-Div

I have been a TurboTax user for more than 20 years, most of those years on my MacBook Pro. Great software!!

Jerry

7 minutes ago, MercedesBerater said:

i use turbotax on Mac.  works fine. 

a year or two ago i had a CPA do my taxes and i also did them on turbotax (just didn't click submit)  to see if they came out exactly the same.... guess what - they did.

back to sticking with turbotax instead of the $750 CPA. 

that's cuz the CPA uses Turbo tax:)