KLF30 Woofer Issue ? Not sure if fixable?

Biscuit

Good morning fellow Klipsch lovers. I have a problem, and need your expertise on diagnosing.

I bought a pair of KLF30s this weekend.  Listened briefly in his home an hour away, and didn't notice any issues. 

After I got home, I hooked them up and after about 1 hour of listening (80-90db, sounded great), I noticed some vibration/buzzing from one of woofers on one speaker. Don't know if I broke something loose or what, but I was NOT driving them hard; although it was with deeply pronounced bass tracks.

I read about issues with Baffles on these, so I pressed hard on all front/rear wood with no change in the offending sound.

If I push on the dustcap, it "might" attenuate the buzzing, but only if pressed quite hard where the overall movement of the diaphragm is substantially hindered.

I've recorded sound here so you can hear it.  Do I need a new woofer?  I understand they are unobtanium, but asked in modification/KLF30post on this forum if any had one from updating to HW321 drivers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PmJ1ZXXoYXXeYjxm9 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

Good morning fellow Klipsch lovers. I have a problem, and need your expertise on diagnosing.

I bought a pair of KLF30s this weekend.  Listened briefly in his home an hour away, and didn't notice any issues. 

After I got home, I hooked them up and after about 1 hour of listening (80-90db, sounded great), I noticed some vibration/buzzing from one of woofers on one speaker. Don't know if I broke something loose or what, but I was NOT driving them hard; although it was with deeply pronounced bass tracks.

I read about issues with Baffles on these, so I pressed hard on all front/rear wood with no change in the offending sound.

If I push on the dustcap, it "might" attenuate the buzzing, but only if pressed quite hard where the overall movement of the diaphragm is substantially hindered.

I've recorded sound here so you can hear it.  Do I need a new woofer?  I understand they are unobtanium, but asked in modification/KLF30post on this forum if any had one from updating to HW321 drivers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PmJ1ZXXoYXXeYjxm9 

Looks like dust cap is loose and buzzing, will have to be glued. Might as well check cabinet's for leaks also. When I did my klf 10's I took out a woofer and gentle pulled on motherboard then pushed on back cabinet board.  Both where loose and had to be reglued.

Others will join in and may have a better idea on how to check for leaks. Good luck!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lbk said:

Looks like dust cap is loose and buzzing, will have to be glued. Might as well check cabinet's for leaks also. When I did my klf 10's I took out a woofer and gentle pulled on motherboard then pushed on back cabinet board.  Both where loose and had to be reglued.

Others will join in and may have a better idea on how to check for leaks. Good luck!

That is what I thought, but pushing down pretty hard on dustcap doesn't seem to mitigate the buzzing much.  

Is there a good glue recommended to bind these two pieces of  Poly together?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

That is what I thought, but pushing down pretty hard on dustcap doesn't seem to mitigate the buzzing much.  

Is there a good glue recommended to bind these two pieces of  Poly together?

speaker glue ,  or black rubber cement

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

speaker glue ,  or black rubber cement

Not sure if this would work. Maybe you could fold a piece tape gentle push it on  cap then pull on it to see if cap rises.

If you push on speaker cone do heard any scraping noise, voice coil?

From the video the bottom left edge of dust cover looks loose?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lbk said:

Not sure if this would work. Maybe you could fold a piece tape gentle push it on  cap then pull on it to see if cap rises.

If you push on speaker cone do heard any scraping noise, voice coil?

From the video the bottom left edge of dust cover looks loose?

No. Pushing in on the dustcap is noiseless.  And does not seem to affect noise when playing. I too, noticed that it seems to be separating on the lower left, but not sure if it really is. Will oder the glue.

• Like 1

I recently went through the same ordeal with a klf-30 woofer. I had found the dust cap was loose & the plastic ring was also causing a buzz. It turned out two of the four woofer mounting screw holes were 'soft'. So it appeared they did not hold the plastic woofer ring down tight enough. So all drivers were removes on both speakers and used wood glue and toothpicks to “rebuild” all screw holes. And in my case that was the end of the problem.

Note: I had reglued the cabs seams ~two years before.

• Like 1

It's the edges that comes loose on the dustcaps...so, pushing in the center doesn't really do anything.  Check the edges on the dustcap... sometimes you can get a fingernail under it...if so, it needs to be removed and re-glued.  I used 5 minute epoxy, so it will never come off as you can't really rebuild these drivers. (See my other posts on how this was done on my 5.5's)

I also have some excellent condition OEM k-31-K woofers from a KLF 30 if you want to replace the entire woofer.  I think 2 are spoken for, another one that's pending, but I have at least one that's still available for sure. Let me know.

image2.jpg

image0.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

It's the edges that comes loose on the dustcaps...so, pushing in the center doesn't really do anything.  Check the edges on the dustcap... sometimes you can get a fingernail under it...if so, it needs to be removed and re-glued.  I used 5 minute epoxy, so it will never come off as you can't really rebuild these drivers. (See my other posts on how this was done on my 5.5's)

I also have some excellent condition OEM k-31-K woofers from a KLF 30 if you want to replace the entire woofer.  I think 2 are spoken for, another one that's pending, but I have at least one that's still available for sure. Let me know.

image2.jpg

image0.jpg

Thanks for the reply!  Please do hold the last one for me in case I can't fix.  If you need me to buy outright, let me know.  Feel free to send me a DM.
I ordered some speaker glue, and will check the mounting screws, the spider, and the dustcap seal itself in the next two days.  The dustcap seal is coming up on that driver, but wasn't sure if it was detached all the way through.

image.thumb.png.f5981855818aaee2f43a6509c626f42b.png

13 hours ago, Alexander said:

I recently went through the same ordeal with a klf-30 woofer. I had found the dust cap was loose & the plastic ring was also causing a buzz. It turned out two of the four woofer mounting screw holes were 'soft'. So it appeared they did not hold the plastic woofer ring down tight enough. So all drivers were removes on both speakers and used wood glue and toothpicks to “rebuild” all screw holes. And in my case that was the end of the problem.

Note: I had reglued the cabs seams ~two years before.

Thanks!  I will look for this when I remove the driver.

22 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

I saw your post on the KG 5.5's.  What did you do to remove the dustcaps completely?  I don't know if to try a razor blade or heat or just pull after I get a lip up?

1 hour ago, Biscuit said:

What did you do to remove the dustcaps completely

I just worked a fingernail under the lip and with a little patience, I worked it up enough to gently pull with one hand while providing pressure on the speaker cone with the other to counteract cone deformation.

• Like 1

it is always a very good idea to take a sharp pencil and scribe a circle on the cone around a dust cap and add a short stroke across the flange of the dust cap and on to the cone so you can perfectly re align it when the time comes, you can also number the dust cap and cone so you know which cap goes where later.

• Like 1

Please remove the woofer and inspect woofer before removing the dust cap, unless you know for a fact the dust cap is loose. If the inner screen is loose under the dust cap, it will rattle when you shake the woofer while holding it in your hands. If this is the case, get some long tweezers to remove it. If you want to replace it, I put mine in the same area, but in back of the magnet with cement glue.

21 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Please remove the woofer and inspect woofer before removing the dust cap, unless you know for a fact the dust cap is loose. If the inner screen is loose under the dust cap, it will rattle when you shake the woofer while holding it in your hands. If this is the case, get some long tweezers to remove it. If you want to replace it, I put mine in the same area, but in back of the magnet with cement glue.

I didn't see this until after removing dustcap. 

Not sure I would have been able to get it from behind though. 

It had gotten around the dust cap and was against the cone as seen in these pics.

Pretty sure this was causing the noise, not the dustcap which had a lifted edge, but did not seem to be completely unglued where the edge was.

Question1.  Best way to remove residual glue?

Question2.  Mixed clear epoxy ok for gluing the screen back on ?

image.png.5732c4114e870838d82e33287529872f.png