Ho to fix a crushed corner of a speaker - mdf

19 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

That is the one I mentioned above. 

How do I stain it? 

apply with a small brush  ,  then with a cloth and hand wipe  , blend the color  until , it evens out -

I 've also used the   Elmers stainable wood filler for darker  furniture  that were harder to stain

-https://www.walmart.com/ip/ELMERS-STAINABLE-WOOD-FILLER/17011273

The earlier JBLs had good veneer on them. My 4311s are the same. I've had them upside down, so the mids and tweets were on the top, an they have some scratches, but I think they'll clean up ok.

20210314_163744~2.jpg

54 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

That is the one I mentioned above. 

How do I stain it? 

You will need to read and follow directions but pretty the stain gets mixed in with product. Read a review where a customer did not the follow mix stain directions pics shown where not good. 

If you need to stain further I dap some stain on and let it dry. Most likely stain will just come if you try rub it in. If you don't like results gentle steel wool, clean dap and let dry again.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

The earlier JBLs had good veneer on them. My 4311s are the same. I've had them upside down, so the mids and tweets were on the top, an they have some scratches, but I think they'll clean up ok.

20210314_163744~2.jpg

Nice.

There was a set of these in a place that we vacation in Arizona before the pandemic for $700 in beautiful condition.  I could not break away from work.   

Buy some of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-LE25-Design-Foam-Trim-Tweeter-Repair-Kit-fits-L100-L120A-L120-Pair-/141931595140

I have meant to... although one of the tweeters hay be damaged. I paid about $280 each when new.

The studio/sales guy I bought them through borrowed them when they were mixing a Styx album (Man of Miracles).

They came back in one piece. 😜

13 hours ago, Marvel said:

I have meant to... although one of the tweeters hay be damaged. I paid about $280 each when new.

The studio/sales guy I bought them through borrowed them when they were mixing a Styx album (Man of Miracles).

They came back in one piece. 😜

Is your tweeter dome pushed in or more damage? 

The new dust caps are $5 a pair. 

Nice history on your speakers.  I really like the look of the studio monitors with the woofers on top. 

These speakers are in nice shape.  I cleaned them up and we listened to a Pink Floyd album yesterday. 

One of the woofers is slightly yellow.  I want these to look like new.  Is this the right paint to spray the woofers?  White upholstery paint.

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/sem-products-15603-color-coat-sailcloth-white?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvrrsoOK67wIVchh9Ch3qpwQIEAQYASABEgICGPD_BwE&

Michael Colter used a black SEM paimt on faded Heresy woofers (long, long time ago). Maybe find out from him, and get the white version. That should work, and you wouldn't be putting on much. Mine are a little yellow...but both are the same.

• 3 months later...

That's going to be tough with exposed wood grain... unless you veneer.

I might elect to leave it and just enjoy the music, otherwise you have bondo and perhaps a coat of paint at the very least.