Troubleshooting/repairing center speaker

AudioHobby

Hey everyone,

so I bought a used RC-25 center speaker and after some initial testing, it sounds awful. It’s connected to a Denon AVR-X2300W. I bought it to to upgrade from a R-25C but, the treble is really weak.

I adjusted a bunch of Audyssey and manual adjustments on the receiver but, the treble is just lacking. I’ll Redo the entire Audyssey calibration tomorrow but, I have a feeling something else is wrong. Maybe a blown tweeter? 

Also, I shined some light into the front ports and it looks like foam is stuffed in the back and essentially blocking the ports. That shouldn’t be there right? I’m guessing someone did that to reduce low frequency vibration. However, I wouldn’t think that would effect the highs. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Leave the foam, it's there from the factory.

I'm going to go all-in and say your tweeter is probably fine and the issue is either the metal jumpers that connect the LF and HF at the input terminals are either missing or not tightened down.  If the input wires are connected only to the LF at the speaker inputs you'll only get sound from the woofers and not the tweeter.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply @wuzzzer. I double-checked the jumpers and they are tight. l also tried switching the banana plugs in either the top posts or the bottom. No difference. Running Audyssey again didn’t make a difference. I think the tweeter is working but, is either really weak or perhaps this center pairs very badly with my other main speakers R-28F’s.

I have since opened up the speaker but, don’t see anything jumping out at me. If I take this tweeter apart, will it ruin it? From the outside it looks fine. Also, the foam looks like it is from the factory, as you mentioned.

9788F4B8-5F9B-4E91-84E2-440FABA06D57.jpeg

Edited by AudioHobby

5 minutes ago, AudioHobby said:

My multimeter says 2.1 Ohm when I touch against the tweeter connectors. Is that about right?

That's crazy low.  I don't know exactly on that one but most Klipsch tweeters are in the 8-16 ohm range. 

• 6 months later...

Ok, I just got my hands on a replacement tweeter (1011956) that works with this speaker. The three screws that held the old tweeter in place are too short to hold the new tweeter in place. However, I found some screws that I could use and the treble sounds much better now. My first thoughts are that the highs are louder/brighter and more clear than the R-25C. I’m still testing but, am happy so far. I took 2 of the loose foam pieces out since they block the ports but, it does sounds a little boomy/muddy when lots of bass is present. I might put them back in and test again even though they make the ports useless. 

• Like 1