Best (or reasonably good) placement for Atmos speakers in this room?

bazookajoe1337

Hi guys,

First, I just want to say I'm glad I joined this community, you have been a huge help in answering questions! 

I have a 5.1.2 setup for my HT. Speakers are Front R+L Klipsch R51M Bookshelf, Front Center R34C, Surround R+L R51M Bookshelf, Sub R120SW, the Atmos speakers are Klipsch R-41SA.  The trouble I'm having is they are "up-firing" speakers, and I know they would probably be OK sitting on top of my center bookshelf speakers and bouncing off the ceiling.  However, the more research I'm doing, the more people are saying to avoid that if you can. 

This room is a bit of an odd layout, it's a 14x14 but most of the theater equipment is on the right side of the room because we had to leave a pathway to the outside door, as well as some walking room.  

https://ibb.co/L85BTz3 (room layout)

There seems to be 4 choices on where to put the Atmos speakers. 

1. Put them on top of the bookshelf speakers aiming towards the ceiling for the bounce effect, about 39" high. 

2. Install them on the wall about 4 ft. right above the front surround R+L speakers.  Downside to this is I would have to re-locate the projector screen and move it over about 6" to the left to create enough space, not ideal. 

3. Install them on the right and left sides of the room above the listeners heads (the left side is not visible in the pic but it would line up to #3 on the other side).

4. Install them on the ceiling, pointing down at the listeners heads.  This would require some engineering and probably the most work because these only have a keyhole mount, and they weigh a good 7 lbs.  There are a few topics on this and there doesn't seem to be a totally sensible solution, other than gluing some mount brackets on the sides of the speakers and then drilling them into the ceiling.  See this topic https://www.avsforum.com/threads/mounting-klipsch-rp-140sa-or-r-14sa-on-ceiling.2965022/

Would it be that drastic of a difference in sound between option 3 and 4?  Is there an option 5? 

Thanks! 

Edited by bazookajoe1337
  • Like 1