No Sound On My Surround Sytem When Listening to Hulu, Netflix

thebes

Ok, I can't figure this out so I'm going to let you give me a hand, (sigh, again).

Here's the setup. A Vizio smart tv (not 5K) with ARC, hdmi etc. I access Netflix and Hulu through the provided remote, not a separate box.

A 3 or 4 year old Sony STR-ZA 2000ES, with ARC, hdmi etc.

Cable box, router, dvd player and a 5.1 Klipsch surround setup. Router runs to tv.

Everything works fine as far as watching tv, dvd etc. using the surround system. However, whenever I launch Netflix or Hulu I can only get sound through my tv speakers.  There is no way I can figure out how  to add those on the input  menu in either the receiver or tv software. All connections (tv, dvd, cable box) are made using hdmi. 

So what the friggin hell am I doing wrong? 

Should maybe I run an extra optical cable or something?  Inquiring Thebes wants to know.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, thebes said:

Everything works fine as far as watching tv, dvd etc. using the surround system. However, whenever I launch Netflix or Hulu I can only get sound through my tv speakers.  There is no way I can figure out how  to add those on the input  menu in either the receiver or tv software. All connections (tv, dvd, cable box) are made using hdmi. 

Maybe everything is hooked up correctly and they only broadcast in 2.1?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Maybe everything is hooked up correctly and they only broadcast in 2.1?

Good thought, but that's not my problem. My problem is I don't get any sound through any of my speakers.  The receiver is not recognizing the input. 

Good suggestion Wuzzer. I'll try out an optical cable. 

If you are 100% sure that both the TV and receiver have ARC, and that you've connected your HDMI cable to the ARC connections on both devices, and your HDMI cable can support ARC (should, but double check the specs), then in theory it should work. But as @wuzzzer suggests, using an optical cable to carry the sound from the TV will achieve the same goal and save you some frustration.

I had a similar issue with my older Denon AVR-4311Ci. It was relegated to the bedroom and I got a new bedroom TV (LG CX OLED). Both say ARC - not really compatible. Ended up the Denon ARC was "old" spec. I bought a new model (2020 or 21? Yamaha - RX-V4A)  receiver and all works great. Not as powerful as the Denon - but it is the bedroom.

Yes, ARC has some challenges especially with old vs new stuff. Optical worked fine on the Denon....but I wanted ARC functionality 🙂

So I hooked up an optical cable, launched Netflix, no joy until I remembered to switch the receiver input to TV and wallah!

Gotta do some dialing in etc., but it works and totally without the use of acronyms (ARC stands for?)

Since I'm a ardent believer in a future, happier world, in which acronyms have finally been outlawed (through the ACRONMOUTLAWDACT2023).

Some come let us BELLYDUPTODABAR for a round on me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use ARC and the HDMI cables are the same unless you want 4k then a "upgrade" is needed. Each TV uses a selected HDMI port for ARC (my Sony is #2) and ARC must be commanded on in the menu. I use OTA on my TV and use the ARC for audio.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-audio-return-channel-and-earc-for-beginners/

4 hours ago, USNRET said:

I use OTA on my TV and use the ARC for audio.

Gotta be ex-military.  They couldn't complete a sentence without an acronym if their life depended on it.

• Haha 1