La Scala ii or Cornwall IV

bmoran

Hi Everyone - Thanks for having me!

I have an opportunity to either purchase a set of like-new La Scala ii's or brand-new Cornwall IV's.  Let's assume I will not be able to do A/B comparisons of the speakers, or even hear them separately before deciding.  If the prices are the same, would you recommend LS ii's or Cornwall IV's?

Background

-5,000 cf room with wall treatments

-Dual subs, so deep bass is covered

-Will be fed streaming content via a modern DAC/preamp combo with a TBD cost-friendly quiet amp

-Warranty isn't a major concern for me

-Music taste varies widely from classic rock, folk, heavy metal

Thanks 😁

• Like 2

That's a big room. I prefer the LS over Cornwall by a huge margin. BUT never heard the LSii or the Cornwall IV. Both are highly regarded.

For that size room the extra punch of the horn loaded low end (along with your two subs) gets my vote.

Others will be along to tell you otherwise. It is good that you have two really good choices. No wrong answer in my books.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

That's a big room. I prefer the LS over Cornwall by a huge margin. BUT never heard the LSii or the Cornwall IV. Both are highly regarded.

For that size room the extra punch of the horn loaded low end (along with your two subs) gets my vote.

Others will be along to tell you otherwise. It is good that you have two really good choices. No wrong answer in my books.

3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I'd agree

Thank you both for the feedback.  Photos of the room attached.  It is fully "contained" with a door and no open walls.  Pretty awesome bonus space over the garage.

IMG-4246.JPG

IMG-4220.JPG

Edited by bmoran
  • Like 4

the Cornwall, in any form, is a great speaker... it really can be a music monster.

The La Scala II is MUCH better because that Dog house is to die for.

there is no way a direct radiating driver without a folded horn can match that tight sound... even if the LSii doesn't go as low as a CWiv

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve. said:

LaScala , that room is big....   plus LaScala is my bucket list speaker.   If I had the room I know what  I would go with 

On my bucket list too.  I'm picking them up tomorrow...fingers crossed!  Thanks for everyone's responses.  I'll post some pics once they're home.

4 hours ago, bmoran said:

Hi Everyone - Thanks for having me!

I have an opportunity to either purchase a set of like-new La Scala ii's or brand-new Cornwall IV's. 

😁

Cornwall IV are very good speakers ---in a class of their own , they are made for Rock and Heavy Metal , Lascala II , is not bad either , but with less  bass  , although midrange is superior  , but in either case , the room would require more than 1 pair of speakers , which may be supplemented with your current speakers-

I'd say because of the room size and configuration, and the type of music...........if it were me.........and especially because of having subs..........Lascalas all the way.  My concern would be the subs matching the tempo and timber of the lascalas.  Otherwise that room looks made to order for lascalas.  Wide, low ceiling, back wall treatments, carpeting.

I have both and a cornwall is a great all around speaker but not as good as a lascala with louder genres, like heavy metal.

If you said Jazz or lounge vocals, soft rock, instrumental, classical........then maybe a cornwall.

When you get into loud rock, classic rock, heavy metal..............lascalas.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

La Scala IIs + your subs.

Find the La Scala IIs 3 dB down point, and start the subs out crossing over there.  Then run tests to find the best Xover point to preserve the tight bass of the La Scalas.  Make sure the inevitable muddiness of the subs doesn't take away from the clean sound of the La Scalas -- unless you move in some horn loaded subs.  The are some DIY plans out there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used my LS (not the IIs) for a part at our convention center, a room that was 49x37 with 20 ft ceilings. They rocked the place and I had lots of compliments. No subs... want to take my MWM cabinets, but we had actually downsized the room. 

They are also incredible for soft music, too. Orchestral? Close your eyes and you are in the concert hall.

2 hours ago, bmoran said:

On my bucket list too.  I'm picking them up tomorrow...fingers crossed!  Thanks for everyone's responses.  I'll post some pics once they're home.

I understand the room is big , however , the distance from your chairs to your current front main speakers doesn’t look like a lot of distance!! How many feet will you be seated from the La Scala II’s? You NEED distance!! The farther back from them the better they sound!! I’m saying at least 15 feet away from your listening seated position. Beautiful room BTW but it looks like it gets its size and square footage by the length of the room Versus width 

12 minutes ago, Brian Tambe said:

I understand the room is big , however , the distance from your chairs to your current front main speakers doesn’t look like a lot of distance!! How many feet will you be seated from the La Scala II’s? You NEED distance!! The farther back from them the better they sound!! I’m saying at least 15 feet away from your listening seated position. Beautiful room BTW but it looks like it gets its size and square footage by the length of the room Versus width 

I have just a cheap $4,000 pair of Forte III’s LOL 😂 and the sweet spot in my Great Room is 17’ - 18’ away from them!! The bass without a sub hits me right in the chest and mids are wonderful and the top end is awesome!! Klipsch speakers All need distance from them. If you’re too close you will think you purchased a crappy pair of speakers!! Just trying to help!!