La Scala ii or Cornwall IV

bmoran

55 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I used my LS (not the IIs) for a part at our convention center, a room that was 49x37 with 20 ft ceilings. They rocked the place and I had lots of compliments. No subs... want to take my MWM cabinets, but we had actually downsized the room. 

They are also incredible for soft music, too. Orchestral? Close your eyes and you are in the concert hall.

Now you’re talking 

That square footage of a room allowed the LS II’s to breathe 

29 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Nah, 10 feet would be fine, and I've been closer than that.

My room is 360 square feet and I wouldn’t get out of the La Scalas are capable of. 

31 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Nah, 10 feet would be fine, and I've been closer than that.

BMorans room is only 400 square feet - 40 square feet more than my room!! He needs to put his system length wise and then the sound gets to him close to 100 % 

11 minutes ago, Brian Tambe said:

Now you’re talking 

That square footage of a room allowed the LS II’s to breathe 

Actually, they were originals. Used a Crown XLi800. It didn't even get warm.

Had over a hundred people in the room, it was packed, but they still found room to dance.

My room at home is about 480 sqft, with 10 ft ceilings.

28 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Actually, they were originals. Used a Crown XLi800. It didn't even get warm.

Had over a hundred people in the room, it was packed, but they still found room to dance.

My room at home is about 480 sqft, with 10 ft ceilings.

As mentioned my room is 360 square feet with 12’ foot ceilings and my Forte III’s barely have the room required to give me 100% of their capability!! Cornwalls & La Scalas wouldn’t sound to my satisfaction!! That room for your event was 1,000 square feet and you said they sounded great so how can being seated 10 feet away from them sound good? 

Edited by Brian Tambe

8 hours ago, Brian Tambe said:

As mentioned my room is 360 square feet with 12’ foot ceilings and my Forte III’s barely have the room required to give me 100% of their capability!! Cornwalls & La Scalas wouldn’t sound to my satisfaction!! That room for your event was 1,000 [1800+] square feet and you said they sounded great so how can being seated 10 feet away from them sound good? 

That room was over 1800 sqft...

What always impresses me is not just how good they sound loud in a large room, but how great they sound at lower volumes in a smaller room.

Can't wait to hear his thoughts when he gets them set up. Enough debating the issue...

• Like 1

I got the speakers today...I'm tired, ha.  Drove 4 hours total and had to pack, load and unload them by myself.  Good thing I used a dolly and ramps.  Haven't set them up yet.  Maybe tomorrow.  But I was pleased to have the original boxes and packaging included.

One of the tweeters didn't seem right when I was auditioning.  I think it might be disconnected or shot.  Since I was already getting a good deal and the speakers are literally "like-new" in looks and I believe they have very low hours, I didn't make a huge deal of it.  A replacement tweet isn't much in the grand scheme if needed.  I'll mess with them soon.

• Like 1

Congrats!  Rest your back and take an ibuprofen.

When I got my LS2's, I had a small issue with one of my K77-D tweets too.  It's simple to take the back off and swap them.  Since then, I've swapped various tweets in and out dozens of times.  Also, when I first listened to them, I was underwhelmed.  It takes a while to get the positioning correct for your room, and then get them dialed in with your subs.  Patience will pay off.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

Congrats!  Rest your back and take an ibuprofen.

When I got my LS2's, I had a small issue with one of my K77-D tweets too.  It's simple to take the back off and swap them.  Since then, I've swapped various tweets in and out dozens of times.  Also, when I first listened to them, I was underwhelmed.  It takes a while to get the positioning correct for your room, and then get them dialed in with your subs.  Patience will pay off.

What tweeters did you finally settle on? Personally, I find the stock La Scala twos very enjoyable.

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

What tweeters did you finally settle on? Personally, I find the stock La Scala twos very enjoyable.

I do too.  I really like the stock K77-D tweets.  I tried (many times) Crites' CT120s but something always seemed off to me.  Then last year, when Dave came out with his MAHL's to fit the LS2's, I took the DE120s off the Crites' horns and put them on the MAHL's.  I like these a lot too - a different sound than the K77-Ds but it mostly a matter of personal taste.  The DE120s on the MAHL's are 1-2db quieter in the 6.5Khz-8Khz range, but then about 2-3db louder above 8Khz.  I swap back-n-forth every few months when the mood strikes.

• Like 1

I wonder if many of the posters have indeed heard the Cornwall IV or are just comparing the LS2 to a memory they have of an earlier version of the CW?  I’m not saying the LS2 isn’t better, it may be and I’d like to know too, but I’ve never heard it. I’ve only heard the original lascala. I’m pretty sure I’d take the new cornwalls over those. So is the LS2 that much better?

Again, not being difficult, but that might be an upgrade path for me.

Shakey

• Like 2

So...one of the tweeters makes no sound at all and the other has very faint output.  I'm assuming the diaphragms are shot.  The crossovers look perfect and the speakers are minty!  9.5/10 

I'm going to order K-77D diaphragms today and probably an extra one or two at that.  I'm not the kind of person that will be blowing them with loud volumes, but mishaps...happen.  Amplifier pop is more likely to claim one from me in the future.  I suppose you'd like to see a photo or two 🤪

IMG-4724.JPG

IMG-4723.JPG

IMG-4722.JPG

Edited by bmoran
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bmoran said:

one of the tweeters makes no sound at all and the other has very faint output.  I'm assuming the diaphragms are shot. 

Recommend you disconnect the tweeters from the crossovers and measure them with a voltmeter before you attempt to get new diaphragms.  Actually surprised that they would both be damaged as there is a lot of protection built into those crossovers.

I don't know if you can get OEM diaphragms - only those sold from places like Simply Speakers.  Or, you might be able to call Klipsch, give them your LS2 serial numbers, and purchase replacement K77-D tweets.

What did the previous owner do with these?

5 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

I don't know if you can get OEM diaphragms - only those sold from places like Simply Speakers.  Or, you might be able to call Klipsch, give them your LS2 serial numbers, and purchase replacement K77-D tweets.

What did the previous owner do with these?

They were residential speakers.  The previous owner worked in big pro audio rigs for years and his hearing isn't as good as it used to be.  I don't think he really knew about the tweeters.  Either way, I'm moving on. 

I was on hold for Klipsch support for 30 minutes before giving up.  Also left a message at Crites.  Ordered diaphragms from Simply Speakers!   Thanks

5 hours ago, bmoran said:

So...one of the tweeters makes no sound at all and the other has very faint output.  I'm assuming the diaphragms are shot.  The crossovers look perfect and the speakers are minty!  9.5/10 

I'm going to order K-77D diaphragms today and probably an extra one or two at that.  I'm not the kind of person that will be blowing them with loud volumes, but mishaps...happen.  Amplifier pop is more likely to claim one from me in the future.  I suppose you'd like to see a photo or two 🤪

IMG-4724.JPG

IMG-4723.JPG

IMG-4722.JPG

If this is an issue, add a fast blow fuse to the tweeter circuit.  The original ALK universal has one and it saved my tweeters nce when an preamp pot made a horrible noise.